UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Squatting with Manta Ray

8/20/12 7:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
1800champagne
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has anyone tried this? I recently fractured my hand rolling and would like to work on my squat if possible while i'm out of action. It appears as though this would make it much easier to balance the bar on my back since I can't support much weight with the broken hand. Phone Post
8/20/12 7:56 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've used one...I was never much of a fan. In theory it sounded great but I always felt a little off balance when I used it - it seemed to make me pitch forward more. I'm more comfortable with the bar a bit lower and it allows me to sit into a squat better.

Having said that, with your injury, it may be a good alternative. Try it out with a very light weight and see how it feels to you and go from there. Phone Post
8/20/12 10:46 PM
Eggmachine
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have one but rarely use it.

I think it would work great with a broken hand. I
say go for it.
8/21/12 12:04 AM
Lee A

If you can afford it, a Safety Squat bar would be a far better choice.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0210.html

The example shown is just one vendor, you may be able to find it far cheaper on eBay, etc.

Lee
8/21/12 2:44 AM
Leigh
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Put your wrist over the bar to balance it Phone Post
8/21/12 4:50 AM
banco

I've used it and they do make it into a very high bar squat. Still once you get used to it it's fine. I think in a way they are less safe than just having the bar as I would think it would be harder to dump the bar if you fucked up.
8/21/12 8:28 AM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a guy I know reviewed one and hated it and thought it was unsafe

ive used the safety bars lee mentioned and ike them a lot
8/22/12 7:42 PM
kidnemo
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was actually just thinking about buying one - good thread.

I think for the people at our place that aren't doing super heavy squats and want a little back relief it might be a better option than a towel.
8/23/12 7:56 AM
ProteusSFM
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - Put your wrist over the bar to balance it Phone Post
this Phone Post
8/24/12 11:02 AM
Taku
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the Manta ray and have owned one since they came on the market. I also have the Sting Ray. I like them both but that is me. I find them very comfortable. I feel that disspation of of the force of the bar driving into my neck is a plus. When I used to train heavy without the Manta-Ray, my hands and arms would start to go numb from the pressure of the bar.

TAKU
8/24/12 11:09 AM
Leigh
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You don't put the bar on your traps? Phone Post
8/30/12 9:28 AM
1800champagne

I ended up purchasing this apparatus. Just using my wrist for support was not enough, and mostly I was worried about reinjuring the hand, so I figured I'd try it out. I've squatted with it twice, and it works exactly as advertised. Been awhile since I've done high bar ATG squats, but I'll be squatting 3-4 times per week for the next month or so. Phone Post
8/30/12 4:04 PM
Taku
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh...I put the bar on my traps, via the Manta Ray.

TAKU
8/31/12 5:04 PM
HERTSWENIP
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The higher up a bar is on your back, the farther forward your CG is, therefore your spine should be more upright and it should feel more like a front squat.

You need to modify your squatting technique, more upright spine = less stress on your back.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.