UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana Says Sonnen Wont Talk His Way Into Title Shot

8/21/12 12:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30298/ufc-boss-chael-sonnen-will-not-earn-title-shot-with-ufc-155-win-over-forrest-griffin.mma

Despite his best efforts to stir up enough interest in a title fight to skip right through the light-heavyweight ranks, Chael Sonnen (28-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC) will not be awarded a title shot with a win over Forrest Griffin.

UFC President Dana White today made that declaration during an appearance on the "Dave and Mahoney" morning show on Las Vegas' KXTE X107.5 FM.

"He's a long way away," White said. "He's not coming off the (Anderson) Silva fight and just talking his way into a 205-pound world title shot."

"[Sonnen] is going to have to beat a couple of the best of the world," White said. "If he beats Forrest Griffin, we'll shoot him right into the Top 5 and let him fight some of those guys there, and we'll see what happens."
8/21/12 12:41 PM
CaliKush
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds about right Phone Post
8/21/12 12:42 PM
forrestfan
339 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good. He'll never earn a shot.
8/21/12 12:51 PM
ABE FROMAN

BUT HE TROLLED JONES TO DEATH!!!!!! WE WERE CRAZY TO BELIEVE THAT DANA WOULDN'T GIVE SONNEN THE NEXT SHOT!!!!

DANA IS TROLLING US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8/21/12 12:52 PM
Juicymma
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He says this now, but as Chael keeps talking, jones gets more angry, people start clamoring, jones asks for the fight and next you know, jbj has his first win via triangle. Phone Post
8/21/12 12:58 PM
Darup

Dana said he only has to win 2 fights at 205 to get a shot. Looks like the talking worked. Phone Post
8/21/12 1:00 PM
Clarence Parents
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I somehow have trouble believing Dana when he says this.
8/21/12 1:02 PM
ABE FROMAN

TROLLING WORKS!!!!!!!!!
8/21/12 1:05 PM
Clarence Parents
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN - TROLLING WORKS!!!!!!!!!

Take a deep breath.
8/21/12 1:06 PM
Humphrey

yes, Chael 'decision' Sonnen will never get to the top 5 in 205
8/21/12 1:07 PM
4thHorsemen
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana says a lot of things.
8/21/12 1:24 PM
SonofJockstrap
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN - BUT HE TROLLED JONES TO DEATH!!!!!! WE WERE CRAZY TO BELIEVE THAT DANA WOULDN'T GIVE SONNEN THE NEXT SHOT!!!!

DANA IS TROLLING US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, I know you've been here forever and I'm a (lol 12ers gonna) 12, but going into every thread about Chael and capslocking about trolling is just making you look like a butthurt child. Take a breath. You contribute a lot to this board, don't let one tiny argument in another thread derail tons more. For the benefit of the people, continue to be your awesome self.

On-topic, no shit. Dana did say one thing that leads me to believe Chael might get a shot in the near future though, saying that he'll throw him into the top 5 with a win almost guarantees that if he goes on a 2 fight win-streak he'll likely face the champ, whoever it is at that time. If he hadn't opened his mouth and trashed Bones, I doubt 2 fights would have put him in title contention. His method may not be everyone's favorite, but damn if it isn't effective.
8/21/12 1:25 PM
dabigchet

bullshit. griffin + 1 more = title shot if chael can pull it off
8/21/12 1:27 PM
jjj2121

Refreshing and good to hear.  Let's at least pretend this is part sport.  Giving Chael a quick shot at 205 would be akin to the NFL putting the Jets in the Super Bowl because their blowhard coach talks a lot and they have Tebow now.
8/21/12 1:29 PM
Rcs476
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol, how many fighters will they have in the "top 5" if Sonnen works his way there.

I wonder if Boner Joner went and complained to Dana's bosses about Chael.
8/21/12 1:30 PM
Chris27

dabigchet - bullshit. griffin + 1 more = title shot if chael can pull it off

Yeah but Dana is saying Sonnen wont get a title just by beating Forrest. He will need another top 5 win after that before he gets a shot.

everyone was thinking he would get a title shot if he beat Forrest because he is running his mouth and Dana is saying thats not gonna happen.

8/21/12 1:32 PM
MITman2k
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So does he go into the dana's top five by beating Griffin? Where is Forrest on dana's ranking system? Who are the rest of the guys on his list? Maybe we could see the rest out these guys, as a part of a transparent ranking system. Phone Post
8/21/12 1:33 PM
jjj2121

Edited: 08/21/12 1:41 PM
MITman2k -  So does he go into the dana's top five by beating Griffin? Where is Forrest on dana's ranking system? Who are the rest of the guys on his list? Maybe we could see the rest out these guys, as a part of a transparent ranking system. Phone Post

Will never happen IMO, making sellable fights > rankings

8/21/12 1:34 PM
MITman2k
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just to clarify my prior post, I'm wondering if Dana, would be putting him in his top five based on a win, or giving him a top five opponent next. It's kind of confusing to ne Phone Post
8/21/12 1:42 PM
SonofJockstrap
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MITman2k -  Just to clarify my prior post, I'm wondering if Dana, would be putting him in his top five based on a win, or giving him a top five opponent next. It's kind of confusing to ne Phone Post

I think both to be perfectly honest.
8/21/12 1:56 PM
Dirty_Boxer
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fantastic! I think realistically no one genuinely believed Chael was getting the title shot after beating Forrest. As he said there's a thing to be said for earning your shot. This is all just foreplay so that by the time the Jones fight actually takes place - whether it's a title fight or it's Chael's fight in the top 5 after he gets through Forrest - we'll all reeeeaaaally want it. ^_^
With that in mind December is still quite far off and Sonnen really can talk his way into anything.
8/21/12 2:14 PM
Deputy Porker

money talks
8/21/12 3:06 PM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael beats Forrest, Jones is scheduled to fight Machida SB weekend, Machida gets a phantom injury in Jan. and Chael takes the fight on short notice.

PPV does 1.2 million buys.

8/21/12 3:12 PM
forrestfan
339 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Fury - I'd like to see Sonnen fight Tong Po. Give him Tong Po!

he already ducked Wanderlei
8/21/12 3:12 PM
Wasa-B
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He will to some extent of course.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.