UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> How much protein can you absorb per sitting?

8/23/12 6:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC - ^
I tend to disagree. The protein shake industry is built on the idea that you need a steady stream of protein in small doses to build muscle. If it turned out that you could eat a large omelette in the morning, and a big steak/chicken meal in the evening, and it would cover all of your protein needs just as well, then it would deal a crushing blow to the supplement industry. :)

My point wasn't that you do or don't, it was that I don't think it matters. I think that you very well COULD cover your protein needs for the day either in small doses or in a couple of large ones. And to take it a step further I don't think people need anything like as much protein as they think they do.

That's what I meant with my supplement industry comment, I think people have been convinced that they need so much protein a day to grow or succeed as an athlete that it is incredibly inconvenient to get it just by eating food. That's probably only true as a big heavyweight athlete which most of us aren't. ;)
8/24/12 11:34 AM
vermonter
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC - So it's mainly anecdotal with little hard evidence supporting either side?

"it's not 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, that is perverted science. It would never be one gram per pound because science is done in metric units :)"

This has to be a joke?

In the absense of specific studies i see no reason we can't rely on other academic areas such as biology or anthropology to determine what is reasonable to conclude until such time as we have evidence either way.

I believe there has been a study (at least i've heard one referenced) showing that protein absorption increases over time when consuming high protein meals. Ergo, Jorx's test, and studies like it, may not be very good. This stands to reason as the body typically doesn't retain unneeded receptors and enzymes, and levels of these take time to accrue. It's the same reason why vitamin B makes your piss neon colored unless you take it consistently for a week or two, and then... nothing. Absorbed. All of it.

I see no good reason in any science to believe that protein can't be absorbed in very high levels with chronic high intake. As i said before, my anecdotal evidence agrees and that's good enough for me.
8/27/12 4:09 AM
HULC
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter - 
HULC - So it's mainly anecdotal with little hard evidence supporting either side?

"it's not 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, that is perverted science. It would never be one gram per pound because science is done in metric units :)"

This has to be a joke?

In the absense of specific studies i see no reason we can't rely on other academic areas such as biology or anthropology to determine what is reasonable to conclude until such time as we have evidence either way.

I believe there has been a study (at least i've heard one referenced) showing that protein absorption increases over time when consuming high protein meals. Ergo, Jorx's test, and studies like it, may not be very good. This stands to reason as the body typically doesn't retain unneeded receptors and enzymes, and levels of these take time to accrue. It's the same reason why vitamin B makes your piss neon colored unless you take it consistently for a week or two, and then... nothing. Absorbed. All of it.

I see no good reason in any science to believe that protein can't be absorbed in very high levels with chronic high intake. As i said before, my anecdotal evidence agrees and that's good enough for me.

Obviously i would prefer empirical studies, but in the absence of them i put a lot of weight in your opinion, so thanks for posting that. :)
8/27/12 9:16 PM
DefenseSoapFan1
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tl;dw he says you can 'absorb' almost any amount of protein, but 30-40g is the max that will be used to actually build muscle.
8/31/12 12:28 PM
vermonter
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC - 
vermonter - 

This has to be a joke?

Obviously i would prefer empirical studies, but in the absence of them i put a lot of weight in your opinion, so thanks for posting that. :)

Haha, back atcha homie.
9/3/12 5:57 PM
rosario00
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

T Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.