UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jon Jones: Athletes shouldn't use TRT

8/21/12 2:44 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC light heavyweight king Jon Jones, 25, is still several years from hitting his prime. Dan Henderson is just three days out from hitting 42, and will be packing Testosterone Replacement Therapy in his back pocket for their UFC 151 shootout.

During Tuesday’s UFC 151 conference call Jones detailed his disdain for TRT and other PEDs.

“That’s a pretty controversial topic, I’m not sure I should go there or not. Basically, I believe that if you’re healthy enough to play a sport, you shouldn’t take any performance-enhancing drugs or anything [like] testosterone. Fighters make a lot of money in their 20s, they make a lot of money in their 30s, and when they get in their 40s, unfortunately, you’re in your 40s. You should fight the way you fight when you’re in your 40s. Switch your style up to stay in the game.

“I don’t think you should be able to take a drug to pretty much give you the strength of a 30-year-old again. That’s like me saying, ‘Oh, I’m not as fast as I was when I was 20. Let me just take something to be 20 again.”

“I think things like TRT and steroids should be for the sick or for the normal people that really need the drugs. Not athletes. If you’re an athlete, be an athlete. I don’t think anyone should have anything that enhances them.”

Read entire article...

8/21/12 3:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dirty_Boxer
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel like torn but overall pro TRT. The reason being that as a Chael fan I know it's not just guys taking it for fun basically. He needs it as a genuine medication and that's that. When he was on Rogan's podcast though one of them said about how it should be all or nothing and that makes a kind of sense too. Plus really with all of the perfectly legal enhancements that maybe shouldn't be... who cares about a lil TRT if the UFC has deemed it safe and legal?
8/21/12 3:09 PM
Carne de cavalo é o melhor
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Athletes shouldn't drink and drive. Phone Post
8/21/12 3:12 PM
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Fury - 
Carne de cavalo é o melhor -  Athletes shouldn't drink and drive. Phone Post

It's nice if they are not arrogant like dog and are genuine are too.
8/21/12 3:14 PM
Endowedwelter
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So does this mean in 6 months we will read about Jones using TRT? Phone Post
8/21/12 3:17 PM
Rival School

Nick Fury -
Carne de cavalo é o melhor -  Athletes shouldn't drink and drive. Phone Post

Yea that's relevant drinking and driving makes you perform better in the cage. Phone Post
8/21/12 3:18 PM
DaddyRich
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it's legit therapy why don't athletes in other sports get TRT exemptions? Getting old is part of life. Once you can't cut it you get out. That's the way it goes with every other professional athlete.
8/21/12 3:28 PM
Letibleu
1665 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From his 'what he says and what he does' track record outside the cage, Jones will probably be following a rigorous TRT treatment plan in about 4 to 6 months.

He can visualize himself healthy past 35.

If Hendo somehow (I really stress IF)knocks out JJ, we must rename the H Bomb to the T bomb (T for testosterone).
8/21/12 3:30 PM
hustlewestbrook

Coming from a 25 year old.... Let's see if he switches his stance hen HE'S 41 Phone Post
8/21/12 3:44 PM
Ironhouse
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When this kid gets old he will look more hypocritical than Tito. Fighters always talk too much trash when they are young, it's like they believe they will never age, never get knocked out, never get choked out and carelessly thrown to the ground. Everyone, even "devout christian" fighters, age and when this kid does it will be forum posts of hypocritical quotes.

Tito, for example, was mad that Forest for being disrespectful. What Forest did doesn't compare to what Tito had done to guys like Shamrock.

When fighting is your full time job, and you do it for a long time, what else do you have? What kind of resume is that? You can take TRT and squeeze a few more years of paychecks out, or you can what? What other jobs does cage fighting qualify you for?

"Well Mr. Henderson I see you have a mean right hand and a solid chin, I think that makes you a perfect fit as our new greeter here at Waffle House"
8/21/12 3:45 PM
Kanye loves fishdicks
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaddyRich - If it's legit therapy why don't athletes in other sports get TRT exemptions? Getting old is part of life. Once you can't cut it you get out. That's the way it goes with every other professional athlete.
That's what I think, pretty much. I hate Jones, but think he's right on this Phone Post
8/21/12 3:46 PM
Don_Dada
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLDyOU1CTBI&feature=g-u-u
8/21/12 4:01 PM
Maverick3744

Lets see if he changes his tune when he wants to fight in his upper 30's and forties.  
8/21/12 4:14 PM
Colboyo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh, I’m not as fast as I was when I was 20. Let me just take something to be 20 again.” Cool
8/21/12 4:15 PM
IIAces

easedel -
DaddyRich - If it's legit therapy why don't athletes in other sports get TRT exemptions? Getting old is part of life. Once you can't cut it you get out. That's the way it goes with every other professional athlete.

How do you know other athletes are not getting it? Just because its not reported like it is in MMA doesn't mean it is not happening.

This. I know of many professional athletes use it. Read up on baseball rules. No flag comes up unless your like 5:1. You can take what you want basically. In the majors they don't even test for bud like they do in the minors. Either way read up on rules of other sports before you say people aren't using shit. Phone Post
8/21/12 4:19 PM
gridlor

TRT should be illegal Phone Post
8/21/12 4:19 PM
DaddyRich
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IIAces - 
easedel -
DaddyRich - If it's legit therapy why don't athletes in other sports get TRT exemptions? Getting old is part of life. Once you can't cut it you get out. That's the way it goes with every other professional athlete.

How do you know other athletes are not getting it? Just because its not reported like it is in MMA doesn't mean it is not happening.

This. I know of many professional athletes use it. Read up on baseball rules. No flag comes up unless your like 5:1. You can take what you want basically. In the majors they don't even test for bud like they do in the minors. Either way read up on rules of other sports before you say people aren't using shit. Phone Post

I guess I don't know but then there wouldn't have been any reason for Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens to retire.
8/21/12 4:20 PM
MickColins
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sure they should be allowed. Its ignorant to say they should't. However, they should be tested weekly to make sure their test levels are in the normal range and not being jacked up. If you want a TRT expemption, you should have to get tested weekly.
8/21/12 4:26 PM
IIAces

DaddyRich -
IIAces - 
easedel -

I guess I don't know but then there wouldn't have been any reason for Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens to retire.
Umm they didn't test back then. Clem was accused never proven. Clemons is playing baseball still for the skeeters. How did Cabrera get busted? He was about 8:1. Phone Post
8/21/12 4:30 PM
drrilll
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spoken like a 25 year old.
8/21/12 4:52 PM
orcus

It's weird how everyone hates seeing athletes get old and start to lose it, but then they complain about TRT.
8/21/12 4:59 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones already has his excuses ready.
Jones will use TRT once he needs it as he has came out against it.
8/21/12 5:00 PM
sextoymagic

People are hating on the statement solely because jones said it. I believe trt should be illegal and could careless if my favorite or least favorite fighter supports it. People should develop their own opinions instead of hating on jones for the sake of hating. Phone Post
8/21/12 5:01 PM
sextoymagic

drrilll - Spoken like a 25 year old.
Or spoken like a normal human with logical thinking. Clearly you are just a jones hater. Phone Post
8/21/12 5:04 PM
Darth Ryase
1330 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reading threads about Jon Jones is like being in some sort of warped parallel universe. The hate is so strong in these threads that logic and sensibility are checked at the door and people are having free-for-alls of anger and jealousy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.