UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> the last 10 pounds

8/22/12 8:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

long story, short. i went from a FAT 241 pounds (i am 5'8")to a pretty lean 158 pounds in about 8 months. i have been at my current weight for almost 2 months. i know that i can drop another 10 pounds but i guess my body is having a difficult time in doing so.

my eating habits are fairly good. mostly clean and natural foods, mainly meat, veggies, some fruit. no processed sugars or crap food. only drink water, black coffee, and unsweetened almond milk when using protein powder.

between bjj 3x per week and S&C 2 to 3 times per week i am getting at least 5 to 6 days of working out per week.

there are many great posters in this forum with much knowledge and was wondering, is there anything in particular that i could do to break through this plateau and get to my goal of 148? thanks.
8/22/12 11:52 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what is your body fat percentage? 

eating habits are fairly good? why is fairly BAD about them, then? 
8/22/12 2:30 PM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i havent had my body fat percentage measured, though i will be getting it done in a few days. i used one of the online body fat calculators (questioning its legitamcy)and after inputing all my measurements and weight,age, and all that it said that i was 8.8% body fat. i dont believe this to be so accurate though because i think i have got a bit more fat on me than 8.8%.

By fairly good eating habits i actually meant pretty damn good. i dont do cheat days, or cheat meals. i stick to lots of fish (im portuguese -not brazilian- im portuguese), chicken, turkey, tofu, eggs, and occasionally beef. recently started using protein powder also. my "go to" veggies are cauliflower, asparagus, spinach, broccoli, peppers, and carrots. my "go to" fruits are avocado (my favorite), apples, and bananas. maybe i am eating too much fruit??? usually an avocado and banana once per day. that too much?

i dont eat pasta or rice or beans or chick peas or bread. once every week or two i may have one slice of ezekiel bread though. guess thats my cheat.

i snack on natural peanut butter and almond butter, sunflower seeds and pumkin seeds. i stick to early breakfast
8/22/12 3:00 PM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My bet is that you need to train to build muscle/get stronger rather than lose another 10 lbs. If 5'8" 158lbs isnt lean it tells me you are probably dealing with skinny fat syndrome, which is usually cured by lifting heavy ass weights.

Just from my previous experiences, knowing absolutely nothing about your body composition, I would be guess that you will look better adding 5lbs of muscle rather than losing 10lbs of fat.
8/22/12 5:26 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just noticed that we're having our votes up and/or down listed next to our names...good good

brother, you do eat very well. i'd make a few adjustments such as "natural" peanut butter. stick with organic or non at all, peanuts are VERY heavily GMOd and pesticide'd (sp? lol)

your veggies are pretty starchy but if you're lifting or training that's not TOO bad...incorporate more green leavy veggies; spinach, kale, arugula (if you spice them up or sauce them up up with some extra virgin olive oil or lemon juice or spices like paprika, black pepper, etc they will NOT taste "bad".

OR

try an intermittent fasting approach for the last 10 pounds. I'm actually doing a nutritional Q&A on a few questions I keep getting but one of them that keeps re-surfacing is a question regarding different IF protocols so I hope to get that one done in the next few weeks, also. 

as far as your work out, lifting "heavy" is a good approach but if you're talking about just leaning out, try something high impact like weight training circuits for 20 minutes and/or sprints :) 
8/22/12 6:18 PM
Leigh
956 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You probably have excess skin that requires surgery. If that's not the case and you really are under 10% bf, check out Lyle McDonald's Stubborn Fat Protocol (or is it Solution? I forget) Phone Post
8/23/12 12:05 AM
XmmaAddictX

thanks for the input guys.

@arthur, i will definately incorporate more green lefy veg into my diet. i really like spinach, a common breakfast for me is a plate full of spinach with half of a sliced avocado tossed in a tablespoon of almond butter. i also like kale sauteed with fresh garlic in coconut oil. will get som arugula at the market this week. as for my peanut butter it is organic but i will start to phase it out of my daily snack and maybe keep it for a once in a while cheat snack. i have read a little bit about intermittent fasting and i find it rather fascinating however, i just dont think i can do it. i find that i gotta scatter my meals throughout the day or i wont have the energy to train. maybe i will give it a shot one day. for interval sprits, what would be a sufficiant distance? 30 yards than walk back and repeat? would i do it as a timed round or in a few sets?

@Leigh, thanks for the recomendation, i looked up Lyle Mcdonals book and it seems like a fascinating read and i will look into it. i do have a tiny bit of excess skin that seems to be in my lower abdominal region surrounding my belly button but not nearly as much as i thought i would have (thank goodness). my upper 4 abdominal muscles are clearly visible however my lowers are only slightly beginning to show. i guess i will just have to wait and see what my bodyfat percentage really is. got a trainer friend who is gonna measure me early next week. i am curious to see if the online body fat calculator was accurate or not.

thanks again for the info fellas.
8/23/12 7:47 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

You weren't that obese so hopefully you won't need surgery. I went from 230+ to 160 without any such problems but i am 5'11/6 feet tall

you seem like you've a good handle on food, I'd switch up my breakfast to more protein and carbs however BUT IF IT'S BEEN WORKING FOR YOU DON'T CHANGE A THING. 

I thought so too with IF but I been doing it for about 2 weeks and feel amazing. Actually once hunger subsides you get a ton of energy BUT you can also leave the training for AFTER the fast is over (latter part of the day) and before lifting you can still consume low calories coffee, water with BCAA like Martin from Leangains recommends, and/or green mixed dirnks or homemade greens

here's a wonderful book from a friend of mine on the subject 

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting 
9/2/12 7:34 AM
brigsy
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LiftStrong - My bet is that you need to train to build muscle/get stronger rather than lose another 10 lbs. If 5'8" 158lbs isnt lean it tells me you are probably dealing with skinny fat syndrome, which is usually cured by lifting heavy ass weights.

Just from my previous experiences, knowing absolutely nothing about your body composition, I would be guess that you will look better adding 5lbs of muscle rather than losing 10lbs of fat.
What is skinny fat syndrome out of interest? Phone Post
9/2/12 11:21 AM
The Adversary
553 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skinny fat is when you're thin, but mushy. If you've ever seen a skinny dude without a shirt and he's got little pointy A-cups and a jiggly tummy, you've seen skinny fat.
9/3/12 5:00 AM
EdgeHoboken
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Adversary - Skinny fat is when you're thin, but mushy. If you've ever seen a skinny dude without a shirt and he's got little pointy A-cups and a jiggly tummy, you've seen skinny fat.

Common trend in Brooklyn. Look like they drank too many PBR
9/3/12 5:23 AM
brigsy
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ta. Sounds gross. Phone Post
9/3/12 2:35 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

EdgeHoboken - 
The Adversary - Skinny fat is when you're thin, but mushy. If you've ever seen a skinny dude without a shirt and he's got little pointy A-cups and a jiggly tummy, you've seen skinny fat.

Common trend in Brooklyn. Look like they drank too many PBR

VTFU for the hipster and Eastern European immigrant community haha
9/11/12 2:09 PM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judging from the fact you've gone from 241 to 158 and that you still feel soft, the main issue is probably loose skin rather than just excess fat. Some people end up with loose skin after just a 30-40 pound weight loss while other can loose over 100 and still be fine. It really depends on your genetics and how much elasticity your skin has. When I first dropped weight 15 years ago I went from 290 to 195 and ended up with a moderate case of it.

Once your skin has been pushed beyond it's natural limit no amount of weight loss will get you looking ripped as your skin will always hang loose somewhat. However unless you have a severe case then putting on some muscle will help alleviate the issue. You are unlikely to looked ripped but if you add an extra 15-20 pounds then you will still look a lot better than the average guy.

of course it may still just be excess fat but even then focusing on gaining muscle will probably serve you better long term than trying to push your weight down too low.
9/11/12 10:06 PM
sside maurice
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LiftStrong - My bet is that you need to train to build muscle/get stronger rather than lose another 10 lbs. If 5'8" 158lbs isnt lean it tells me you are probably dealing with skinny fat syndrome, which is usually cured by lifting heavy ass weights.

This.

I'm 5'7. At 18 YO, I was 130 lbs. with very little muscle mass and just short of a 6-pack. A couple years ago, I busted my ass, bulked up to 160, then used IF to diet down to almost 150 but was still just short of a 6-pack. Maintaining that low of a body weight is a huge PIA, so I'm in the process of bulking up again. I'll cut back down to the 150s next summer and see where I'm at.

There's a limit to how much I'm willing to bulk. I don't want to look like one of those guys who is as wide as he is tall.
10/23/12 6:17 PM
younggunz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you looked into your portion control? maybe eating one or two more meals but keep them small and look into drinking a casein protein shake right before bed to feed your body while your sleeping.
10/24/12 12:37 AM
fearOfABlackPlanet

sprints and 5 sets of 12 on all of your weights
10/24/12 4:33 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

the last three comments have been so terrible...

10/25/12 12:44 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

ArthurKnoqOut - 

No, my comment was made from experience. I walked around at 240-250 and fought at 201 for few years. Plus I have gone from 370 to 250 and have visible abs.
10/25/12 3:22 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

fearOfABlackPlanet - 
ArthurKnoqOut - 

No, my comment was made from experience. I walked around at 240-250 and fought at 201 for few years. Plus I have gone from 370 to 250 and have visible abs.

Yeah I went from 230 to 158. I ran several triathlons, obstacle races and endurance swims. I coached several athletes that went on to play in the major leagues, Div I, 2 Olympians and I work with clients every single day that get amazing results not only aesthetically but also dynamic health-wise, blood work, energy levels, etc

There's plenty of research that shows that you burn more and create a more of a metabolic effect when you LIFT REALLY HEAVY THINGS...don't be afraid or tied down to this 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps stuff, sir :)

10/25/12 4:27 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

Doing high volume resistance training reduces insulin resistance and increases cell mitochondria and cell nutrient uptake. Science for the win. You need some heavy lifting, but for THE LAST FEW POUNDS, my way helps.

Particularly well if done in a fasted state. You should also already know that for maximum effect you must cycle your training, and that everyone is a little bit different.

I have competed on a national level in boxing.

In addition, I just ran 3 miles, and I stayed in holiday inn express last night!!

sir
10/26/12 1:49 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

none of that stuff is applicable all across the board, mate. 

For the last few pounds heavier lifting always works, look at guys like Martin from Lean Gains. 

10/26/12 4:09 PM
JacT

I am just jumping on this thread and only read half. It sounds like you eat very clean. I am currently researching Carb or Calorie Cycling.

Despite that, it sounds as though you may want to up your protein, and increase the weights a little.

How often do you eat? How long in between each meal? Do you always eat breakfast? Have you tried things to increase your metabolism such as Kelp (has iodine), Green Tea, Drinking Ice Cold Water, Spicy Foods, etc?

I have done all of the above to get down to single digit body fat in the past.

JacT
10/26/12 4:15 PM
JacT

Dogmeat 1 - Judging from the fact you've gone from 241 to 158 and that you still feel soft, the main issue is probably loose skin rather than just excess fat. Some people end up with loose skin after just a 30-40 pound weight loss while other can loose over 100 and still be fine. It really depends on your genetics and how much elasticity your skin has. When I first dropped weight 15 years ago I went from 290 to 195 and ended up with a moderate case of it.

Once your skin has been pushed beyond it's natural limit no amount of weight loss will get you looking ripped as your skin will always hang loose somewhat. However unless you have a severe case then putting on some muscle will help alleviate the issue. You are unlikely to looked ripped but if you add an extra 15-20 pounds then you will still look a lot better than the average guy.

of course it may still just be excess fat but even then focusing on gaining muscle will probably serve you better long term than trying to push your weight down too low.

This.

Post pics and we can help you better.

JacT

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.