UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Finishing double legs...

8/22/12 5:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Twister Trent
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a problem in wrestling. Anytime I shoot a double leg takedown, I have a bad habit of not driving with it nonstop. I tend to shoot and then just sit there. Are there any drills I could do to help this. It's literally cost me atleast 3 matches. Phone Post
8/22/12 8:52 PM
ChipW
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

See if you can find John smiths video "scoring from bad positions". It covers this in detail Phone Post
8/22/12 9:00 PM
Twister Trent
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you! Phone Post
8/22/12 9:19 PM
ChipW
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's portions of it on YouTube. I'll embed them when I get to a real computer, on phone now. Phone Post
8/23/12 11:57 PM
luwahoo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to Flowrestling ans search Jordan Burroughs. Phone Post
9/3/12 4:34 AM
EdgeHoboken
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trent, what is your wrestling background? Are you from a BJJ background or wrestling?

A lot of Jiu Jitsu fighters I train have the same tendencies as you. They get in on their shot and try to 'sag' it into a finish. This finish may be effective in pure BJJ but they run into trouble when they are against a wrestler, or in MMA, where takedowns must be driven through. In BJJ takedown defense is not as critical to scoring as it is in wrestling and MMA. I call this 'sag' type of finish 'dont jiu jitsu me!'

Drill your penetration step, drive your shoulder into your opponents chest when you finish your double leg. Take many small steps and keep your feet underneath your hips as you drive to the mat. Many athletes that have trouble finishing their double legs leave their feet too far behind their hips. Drive off the balls of your feet, don't drag your toes.

Hope this helps,

Jp Marsh
9/3/12 8:35 PM
Twister Trent

I have a Jiu-Jitsu background but currently wrestle in Highschool. I do think that is my problem, resorting back to my nature. I appreciate the help! Phone Post
9/7/12 10:50 AM
shiznit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lhvkVe3J8w great drill and how your double should look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v3QS7Nb1cE&feature=relmfu another great drill and how to do it...let me know if these did the trick :0)
9/18/12 2:01 PM
benchwarmer
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt, good post Trent!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.