UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Rock Royalty Guitars

8/22/12 7:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Road Warrior Fin
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/22/12 7:06 PM

So I'm curious at what some people will think of my friend's guitars he has been putting out.

Video about his company here

http://jamplify.com/PBIk3o

And one of his guitars of course.  175k

Rock Royalty Custom Gibson Les Paul Guitar

Rock Royalty customized one-of-a-kind Gibson Les Paul guitar with factory painted black body and white trim. Features four handmade Rock Royalty custom guitar volume knobs with 24.56 carats total black and white diamonds set in sterling silver finished with black ruthenium and handmade 22kt yellow gold rims; a handmade Rock Royalty custom guitar selector switch containing 2.01 carats black and white diamonds set in sterling silver finished with black ruthenium and a 22kt yellow gold rim, and six handmade Rock Royalty custom tuning keys with 17.52 carats black and white diamonds set in sterling silver finished with black ruthenium; custom handmade Rock Royalty pick guard in sterling silver with hand-painted black enamel and hand-applied 22kt gold border featuring a skeletonized Rock Royalty 1/1 logo in 22kt yellow gold set with 2.08 carats white diamonds.

Model: Custom Black Gibson Les Paul Guitar

Gemstones: 46.17 carats total diamond weight (2,229 total stones), 15.97 carats white diamonds (764 stones), 30.20 carats black diamonds (1,465 stones)

Metal: 22kt yellow gold and sterling silver finished with black ruthenium

Retail: $175,000

8/23/12 10:06 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this the target demographic?

8/26/12 1:01 PM
Racer X
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a guitar builder,repairman,modifier, this is just strange to me.

As I see it, we're looking at a $3000.00 guitar with a $172,000.00 upcharge for bling. 

In 30 years of doing custom guitars, not a single customer has asked me if I could multiply the cost of their guitar by nearly 58 times, at the same time making it less practical.

"I whacked a cymbal with a tuning machine and it cost me $800 to replace."

It's like middle eastern guys gold plating a Lamborghini. IMO, pointless. For that kind of money I could put together a truly awesome vintage collection. For $175,000.00 you could have first year of production Strat,Tele, Les Paul and 335, just off the top of my head. This will lose value before the ink dries on the receipt.

Not for me, even if I had the dough.Rather have this for too much $$:

8/26/12 2:26 PM
Racer X
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I realize your bud has roots in jewelery,watches,etc. He just comes at this from a completely different place than I do. For crazy money like that, I would source the most exotic materials that contribute to the instrument as a whole, woods, hardware materials, discrete electronics, and THEN dress it in exceptional cosmetics.

This reminds me of a set of $125,000 Asanti custom wheels on a $50,000 car. Move the wheels to another car and now the first car is back to $50,000.

I would opt to build that value into the instrument. For that money I could build a an amazing looking, one of a kind instrument that would actually DO whatever you dream a guitar can do. individual string output to MIDI device in addition to regular guitar output? All wireless? Sure! Inlay like you've NEVER seen before? I'll contract Grit Laskin or Larry Robinson to do the impossible.

I'm ranting. I'll shut up now.
8/27/12 1:26 PM
Road Warrior Fin
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ahh, no worries Racer.

It is based out of Nashville and I believe these are more meant to be "showcase" types of guitars instead of actually using them but they are functional of course.

The partners of the company saw that there was not a  market and that some people really enjoy craftsmenship in jewelry and also enjoy guitars so they thought to bring them together.
8/27/12 7:24 PM
Racer X

As someone who has made a bit of jewelery, I can appreciate the craft and precision involved, for sure.

Not that they are asking, but I think they should connect with an exceptional luthier and create new instruments that could be spun off into lower markets. Instead of a Les Paul a guitar that is one of a kind from the get-go. Make it more difficult to seperate the value into guitar/jewelery-hardware.

9/5/12 12:09 AM
Road Warrior Fin

Good point on that.  I would not doubt they've looked or will be looking into that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.