UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anderson wants to do Rio Olympics: TKD or boxing

8/22/12 10:58 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro Brazilian delegation may have a new member: Anderson Silva . At the launch party for the second edition of his book "The Story of a Champion in the Ring and in Life," the UFC middleweight champion revealed in an interview with SPORTV.COM that he wants to compete in the Olympics in Rio, and cited as boxing and Taekwondo possibilities.

In a 15 minute interview, Anderson said he trained boxing for a long time with his teachers, and trains with Minotauro, who is a black belt in Taekwondo.

"It would be a challenge in my career, and I'd like that," said Silva "Participating in a competition like this is something really lacking for me, being an Olympian. I do not know if I would get used condition, the medal would be like the belt a consequence, but it would be great.

Read entire article... (original Portuguese)

8/22/12 11:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Dinamita
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Either one would be interesting. But I thought he boxed professionally. Phone Post
8/22/12 11:08 PM
rundymc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In boxing at least, I'm thinking he probably medals, especially now that they're changing the scoring system in the ammies.

Agreed?
8/22/12 11:11 PM
Santino DeFranco
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson's pro boxing record says he's 1-1, which means no Olympics for him there. Maybe Tae Kwon Do.

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=152826&cat=boxer
8/22/12 11:11 PM
Deaf Forever

He has a pro boxing match.
8/22/12 11:13 PM
Sakuraba belt
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wiz - I would love to see him compete in TKD.

Damn it, Anderson, I wish you were around 30 right now.

He is like a fine wine, gets better with age.

.....yeah that was gay.
Sorry.
8/22/12 11:13 PM
slugshot331
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That would be amazing to see. Phone Post
8/22/12 11:16 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How long would Silva have to focus solely on tkd to have a chance at the Olympics?
8/22/12 11:16 PM
UGCTT_JaseHxC

I don't see him even qualifying regardless of what he chooses and I say this with the utmost respect for his MMA accomplishments, but Spider is delusional...
8/22/12 11:21 PM
GC111

Wiz - I would love to see him compete in TKD.

Damn it, Anderson, I wish you were around 30 right now.

So he can waste his prime on tkd? No thanks.
8/22/12 11:22 PM
ClydeErwinBarret

UGCTT_JaseHxC -  I don't see him even qualifying regardless of what he chooses and I say this with the utmost respect for his MMA accomplishments, but Spider is delusional...

Agreed. Anderson Silva is my favorite fighter - but I've sparred against Olympic level Taekwondo practitioners and although it looks silly when you're watching it...these guys are on another level kicking, speed, movement, footwork wise.
8/23/12 1:38 AM
Koga

Given the success that Vitor Belfort (boxing) and Kyra Gracie (judo) had pursuing their Olympic dreams, this will happen 100%.
8/23/12 1:47 AM
Brabo Ben
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it takes more than just being good at something, to be olympic caliber anderson would have to study the scoring in and out, and the rules. It isn't a case of turning up and kicking because you are good at it, olympians are there to win, and in a sport like tkd where each point is crucial it doesn't suit particular styles, don't think andy has the speed and fleet footedness to compete at olympic tkd level. As an mma fighter he puts it all together the best, but theres a reason olympic careers are usually quite short - you have to peak in everything and other than the vitor ko anderson standup is characterised by his excellent evasive boxing and clinch work, less so his kicks. Phone Post
8/23/12 9:40 AM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

problem with Olympic Style TKD and Fighting is there so different, I don't doubt Anderson could excel at it, but how sucky would it be to see him lose to a junky TKD fighter within their "system"...
8/23/12 10:18 AM
TheBeebs
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

very sucky Phone Post
8/23/12 12:18 PM
notsobigmike
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_JaseHxC -  I don't see him even qualifying regardless of what he chooses and I say this with the utmost respect for his MMA accomplishments, but Spider is delusional...

This exactly.

He may be the greatest MMA fighter ever, but when you're talking Olympic-level competition in boxing or TKD, cross-over skill isn't going to cut it.
8/23/12 12:26 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
516 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does that article say that Big Nog is a black belt in TKD? Idk if I've ever seen him throw a kick lol. Phone Post
8/23/12 12:26 PM
NegoVeio

Translation is very poor. Obviously Minotauro is not a TKD black belt.

The correct would be:
In a 15 minute interview, Anderson said he trained boxing for a long time with his teachers, like Minotauro, and he (Anderson) is a black belt in Taekwondo. 
8/23/12 12:28 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This reminds of when Minotauro was in PRIDE and was talking about entering K-1
8/23/12 6:36 PM
Santino DeFranco
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAfanWA -  Lol at people questioning whether Anderson has the "speed" for Olympic TKD. The guy's a freak, he'd do great. Probably drop a few people while he's at it Phone Post

It's hard to drop people in Olympic TKD. You can't punch to the face, so almost everything is a kick, but without having to worry about punches, your kicking defense is much greater. Almost like kick sparring with no punches. Also, every strike is above the waist limiting things further and it's scored like a point system, too.

Not saying that he couldn't drop people, but the rules limit his skill set a lot. Olympic TKD is interesting to say the least.
8/23/12 7:12 PM
Size

Yeah, every head kick that scores in Olympic TKD barely touches the person getting hit.

I bet Anderson just wants to get into the Olympic village and go to town...while barely leaving town to do so.
8/23/12 8:06 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
516 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NegoVeio -  Translation is very poor. Obviously Minotauro is not a TKD black belt.

The correct would be:
In a 15 minute interview, Anderson said he trained boxing for a long time with his teachers, like Minotauro, and he (Anderson) is a black belt in Taekwondo. 
This makes a lot more sense lol Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.