UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> 4 core vs 6 core CPU

8/23/12 1:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Yueborg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am doing some long term planning on my next gaming PC and was wondering what the prevailing opinions were on the practicality of a 6 core CPU.

My current computer has the 980X and I've never been able to push it much beyond 15% of its capacity. Given the current top of the line 4 and 6 core processors, does the higher cache memory and extra cores make a practical difference over a 4 core processor with a higher clock speed?
8/23/12 1:57 PM
scourge
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the 6 core has two more processors.
8/23/12 2:02 PM
Yueborg

I think you mean two more cores.

If I could vote you down I would be doing it right now.
8/23/12 8:44 PM
Gerbacio
626 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a 6 core amd 1055t and to be honest I would have rather got a top of the food chain 4 core... None of the games I play or programs use the 6 cores...

I used to have a top of the line 2 core and I did t notice any difference going to 6 ... When I upgraded my video card and especially my hd is when I saw the difference

I'm no expert I'm just stating experience Phone Post
8/26/12 6:20 AM
Yueborg

ttt
8/27/12 10:35 AM
BigWilliam
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It depends on the processors themselves. The Intel sandy bridge processors are technically quad cores, as I recall, but they kick the shit out of high end AMDs which have eight cores. So there is no simple answer. It depends on the chip.
8/27/12 4:05 PM
BaldTony
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gerbacio -  I have a 6 core amd 1055t and to be honest I would have rather got a top of the food chain 4 core... None of the games I play or programs use the 6 cores...

I used to have a top of the line 2 core and I did t notice any difference going to 6 ... When I upgraded my video card and especially my hd is when I saw the difference

I'm no expert I'm just stating experience Phone Post

This. Current programming doesn't really take advantage. Look at the recent Star Wars game. Had a $150 million budget, but it only ran on two cores by having the .exe run twice
8/28/12 9:45 AM
BigWilliam
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not really the programming that should be load balancing across the processors, it's the operating system.
9/4/12 7:52 PM
Wet Fish
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Less is more my fren Phone Post
9/4/12 11:09 PM
jave
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yueborg - I am doing some long term planning on my next gaming PC and was wondering what the prevailing opinions were on the practicality of a 6 core CPU.

My current computer has the 980X and I've never been able to push it much beyond 15% of its capacity. Given the current top of the line 4 and 6 core processors, does the higher cache memory and extra cores make a practical difference over a 4 core processor with a higher clock speed?

I'm late to this post but it all comes down the applications you'll be using. Unless you seriously video edit or process games I don't think you'll ever take advantage of those cores.

To my knowledge games out there today only use 2 cores and at most 4, it's just how they're programmed and written.
9/5/12 9:37 AM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THIS ONE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH1oWbo7GZw
9/9/12 5:56 AM
Yueborg

ttt
10/2/12 6:33 AM
Yueborg

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.