UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Marti Malloy and Kayla Harrison on Good Day NY

8/23/12 5:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OCJudoTrngCtr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/23/12 5:51 PM

In case you didn't know, Marti and Kayla did an appearance on "Good Day New York".  Good segment, and they got over 10 minutes of airtime. Link to the appearance below.

www.myfoxny.com/story/19342804/womens-judo-olympic-medalists-visit-gdny

Forgot to mention. When Marti and Kayla were asked how they first started in judo, their replies were:

Marti--Her father did judo in college.
Kayla--Her mom did judo in college, and wanted her to learn self-defense.

I bring this up because of previous discussions.  It reinforces how important it is for judo schools to have good adult programs.  If Marti's dad and Kayla's mom don't practice judo, then there are no bronze and gold medals in 2012 from them.

Joshua Resnick has emphasized the importance of college judo on the forum.  Here is yet another reason why college programs are important, in addition to transition from junior to senior judo. 
8/23/12 11:27 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People know you need good kids' programs, but those kids need to get involved some how. As long as Judo isn't integrated into the school system, adult programs will be necessary.
8/24/12 3:00 PM
mjl79
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm another that started in a college program and we have 3 other shodans that started in college as well. Our non college club has 8-10 consistent people and the college class is consistently at around 40 people a quarter, some new and some returning.

Also, I was looking to move, in large part, to join a larger school that had some top level instructors and some good partners to work with. But before I moved, I learned that they were only looking to develop a youth program, and were pushing out what seniors were there. Rather than taking what seniors were available, there was at least myself and another that wanted to push for at least national level, they pushed the adults out.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, but kinda bitter about it.
8/24/12 5:19 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/26/12 11:53 AM
 It's not a ramble when you provide valuable information.  Sadly, I do not think your situation is unique. Very short sighted.

8/26/12 1:45 AM
Mit
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
9/10/12 5:07 PM
manzuri
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/10/12 5:08 PM

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.