UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Buff Dudes

9/12/12 10:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cheesesteak
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice explanation HERTSWENIP
9/13/12 10:22 AM
vermonter
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/13/12 11:26 AM
"it's well established that the order of MU recruitment is fixed for a a given movement, regardless of the loading and speed used."

Uhhh.... what?

MU recruitment changes with load (you said "order" but i'm not fully sure what you mean here, as the order of fiber type recruitment is always the same for all exercises and is dependent on load), and changes with skill (which addresses your other possible point that in a given exercise and load that recruitment doesn't change in time). I'm confused by this statement.
9/13/12 7:02 PM
HERTSWENIP
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/13/12 7:04 PM
9/13/12 7:06 PM
HERTSWENIP
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter - "it's well established that the order of MU recruitment is fixed for a a given movement, regardless of the loading and speed used."

Uhhh.... what?

MU recruitment changes with load (you said "order" but i'm not fully sure what you mean here, as the order of fiber type recruitment is always the same for all exercises and is dependent on load), and changes with skill (which addresses your other possible point that in a given exercise and load that recruitment doesn't change in time). I'm confused by this statement.

The degree of MU recruitment changes with load for a given movement, but not the order if the movement pattern remains the same.

Yes we all know that it goes from type I>IIa>IIX... but within those pools, the recruitment threshold specific MU's will vary if the movement changes.

This tends to fall in line with why when a movement becomes "stale" and progress stagnates, a minor change (like say widening your bench grip by one inch, or switching from a summo deadlift, to a standard dl, or varying the incline on a seated curl) in the movement allows for cotinued progress.

Also why we tend to be less prone with staleness and CNS burnout when you rotate similar, but different movements (I believe Louie simmons has noted this in his writings as well- that you can train more often when you vary similar movemens)
9/14/12 4:37 PM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As each movement pattern is specific, I am not sure how much difference this actually makes in total strength etc. There are many out there who seem to make long term continued progress with out changing their routine at all.

Each time we vary the recruitment patter, are we actually seeing total strength improvments, or are we just noticing improvement on the varied pattern. I am really not sure. I have had success with both styles but am not 100% convinced tha tons of variety is required.

I tend to create 2-3 slightly varied routines and then stick with them for a while. One of my personal favorite ways to vary a routine without really changing anything is to "Run the Numbers".

If I have 10 exercises and 2-3 routines, i'll just start at the next exercise on the list, each time I do the routine.

Example Workout A Week 1, do exercise in order 1-10. Week 2 do the same 10 exercises 2-1. Week 3 do the same 10 exercises 3-2...and keep doing this until I get back to the original 1-10 order. If I have 2-3 routines and run the numbers on all of them,

Training in this fashion I am constantly getting a slight change in variety while always doing the exact same exercises. Assuming training to failure, the emphasis will change as I progress through the order as one always has a bit more "juice" for the firat 3-5 exercises than they do for the last 3-5 exercises.

Just on of hundreds of ways one can alter training slightly and still use a limited number of exercises etc.

TAKU
9/29/12 4:48 PM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Clearly the "Buff Dudes: did not actually want any feedback at all. They were just trying to get people to visit their area.

Oh well...

TAKU

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.