UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Shogun Turned Down Jones Fight!

8/24/12 1:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sergio88
502 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/24/12 1:36 AM

tells me Shogun Rua also turned down shot at Jones to set up Belfort as Sept. 22 opponent.

8/24/12 1:38 AM
BushidoAristotle
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He looked bad against Vera. I don't blame him for wanting to make sure he's in the best shape of his life when he tries to avenge his loss.
8/24/12 1:41 AM
KZTT_FawkingxD
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he looked pretty "tired" against vera, doubt he would want another bad tko finish, he was a little swollen from vera too.
8/24/12 2:53 AM
TheOtherWhiteFlu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/24/12 2:53 AM
You mean the same Shogun who's still under a no-contact medical suspension?
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-on-Fox-4-Medical-Suspensions-Headliners-Shogun-Rua-Brandon-Vera-Out-at-Least-45-Days-44773
8/24/12 2:58 AM
MMALOGIC

shogun would of gotten beaten down even worse than the first time.  I dont think Shogun is ever gonna get near Jones again and that's good for his health.
8/24/12 3:01 AM
MMALOGIC

Gustaffson is a bad fight for shogun...  Shogun has problems on the feet with tall strikers (diabate, overeem, vera, jones etc...)    Gustaffson is probably the best tall striker he's ever faced besides Jones.
8/24/12 3:02 AM
Mr Sponge
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BushidoAristotle - He looked bad against Vera. I don't blame him for wanting to make sure he's in the best shape of his life when he tries to avenge his loss.
. Phone Post
8/24/12 3:09 AM
Fedoral Crime
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -  Gustaffson is a bad fight for shogun...  Shogun has problems on the feet with tall strikers (diabate, overeem, vera, jones etc...)    Gustaffson is probably the best tall striker he's ever faced besides Jones.
You think he's a better striker than Overeem? I don't, he's probably not even a better striker than Vera but I agree with you, that it's a tough fight for Shogun Phone Post
8/24/12 3:13 AM
Jons Forsberg

isn't Shogun medically suspended?
8/24/12 3:24 AM
InspiritMick

Print - I'm glad Shogun did the smart thing, he's constantly taking fights when he isn't 100% and it never does any good
This . He took jones last time on fucking short notice. If he bests Gustaffspn he will get a proper shot anyway Phone Post
8/24/12 4:17 AM
MMALOGIC

Thiaguy - 
MMALOGIC -  Gustaffson is a bad fight for shogun...  Shogun has problems on the feet with tall strikers (diabate, overeem, vera, jones etc...)    Gustaffson is probably the best tall striker he's ever faced besides Jones.

Your name should be MMA illogical.

Shogun actually has a longer reach then Gustafsson has

When Shogun comes forward, Gustafsson won't have Jones wrestling pedigree to change levels for the takedown or wrap him up and take him down ect

Bottom line, Gustafsson simply won't be threatening with takedowns period.

Shogun will be coming forward with confidence all day

Shogun will cut Gustafsson off, back him up against the cage, and will throw BIG insanely powerful KO blows.

First one that lands puts Gustafsson clean out

I honestly don't think Gustafsson would have survived the second round on slaughts Shogun dealt to Vera

shogun is a shot fighter my friend...  and Dana doesnt like shoguns management.  zuffa gave him the worst possible style matchup in gustaffson.
8/24/12 4:30 AM
epic hero

MMALOGIC - 
Thiaguy - 
MMALOGIC -  Gustaffson is a bad fight for shogun...  Shogun has problems on the feet with tall strikers (diabate, overeem, vera, jones etc...)    Gustaffson is probably the best tall striker he's ever faced besides Jones.

When Shogun comes forward, Gustafsson won't have Jones wrestling pedigree to change levels for the takedown or wrap him up and take him down ect

Shogun will cut Gustafsson off, back him up against the cage, and will throw BIG insanely powerful KO blows.

I honestly don't think Gustafsson would have survived the second round on slaughts Shogun dealt to Vera

shogun is a shot fighter my friend...  and Dana doesnt like shoguns management.  zuffa gave him the worst possible style matchup in gustaffson.

A striker is not the worst match-up for him, no way in hell.
8/24/12 6:55 AM
NotJustA12er

He's probably 250lbs right now ? Phone Post
8/24/12 6:59 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Shogun will cut Gustafsson off, back him up against the cage, and will throw BIG insanely powerful KO blows."

I love Shogun but Gustafsson will pick him apart on the feet. He actually knows what a jab is

8/24/12 11:21 AM
MPA2000

LOL! Looks like a mini mutiny from top elite fighters. Dana's dumb ass went on a 30 minute tirade about how Jones would either take the fight with Machida on 9/22, or there would be "another press conference and it won't be good".

Then Machida drops out of the fight, followed by Rua refusing to fight.

Now the Italian thug Ferrita is throwing a tantrum, sending Vitor into a fight he has no business going into.
8/24/12 11:33 AM
kostello

No-gun
8/24/12 11:35 AM
In Limbo
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow....zuffa and co. are throwing hissy fits it seems

how disrespectful for fertitta to throw shogun under the bus like that...the man is currently on a NO CONTACT medical suspension until september 4

do you expect shogun to accept the fight today and wait til september 5th to get in some real training/sparring?

someone mentioned earlier that the UFC has something against Shogun...not sure if it';s bc of his mgmt or whatever, but Shogun is a fucking warrior and legend.....he;s put on one of the greatest fights in UFC history (mma history) against hendo,  took a fight against Lidell when asked by dana white in the locker room immediately after defeating coleman, takes a short notice fight against jones when shogun was champ, all his wins in the UFC were finishes, etc.....

fertitta is out of line with this one
8/24/12 11:36 AM
Bofbro
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jons Forsberg - isn't Shogun medically suspended?

Yep.
8/24/12 11:38 AM
Bofbro
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

30-45 days medically suspended,30 being the earliest possible.
8/24/12 11:42 AM
disbeliever
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
lol @ being medically suspended until early september and catching shit for not taking a fight.
8/24/12 12:23 PM
InspiritMick

InspiritMick -
Print - I'm glad Shogun did the smart thing, he's constantly taking fights when he isn't 100% and it never does any good
This . He took jones last time on fucking short notice. If he bests Gustaffspn he will get a proper shot anyway Phone Post
Ttt Phone Post
8/24/12 12:38 PM
drunkard

Thiaguy - 

You can get Rua as much as +170. You should put everything you have on him. When he breezes to victory, you will pick up a nice payday.
8/24/12 12:46 PM
JamesTheWelshDR
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - lol @ being medically suspended until early september and catching shit for not taking a fight.
This Phone Post
8/24/12 12:47 PM
Cotton
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This kind of shit could get him literally killed. The Henderson fight was a fucking war and Vera pushed him to the limit. He is not healthy and I don't even know if he would get medical clearance to even have this fight. Knowing his last two fights would you give him a licence to fight Jon Jones on 3 fucking days off of medical clearance?
8/24/12 2:04 PM
Fabefromfort

I like to remember a 22 year old Shogun with speed,skill, talent, athleticicm, and weapons galore. Foot stomping, right hand, upper-cuts, hooks,kicks, spinning backfists.A blaze of glory in Pride Fighting. He was an absolute monster. 22 year old Shogun would slaughter Jones, or anyone right now at LH in the UFC. Its obvious the UFC dont know traditional Fighter management as far as wear and tear go. In Boxing the traditional way is to take a big fight then at least one soft touch. Usually 2 or 3 "soft touches ", for a champion between big fights with number one contenders. You take a number 1 then a number say 14,16 and 18th ranked contender.Even in the old days, this is how it's done to preserve your fighter. There's exceptions. Some guys just keep knocking off whatever is put in front of them, like Pacqiao, and Tyson. Shogun cannot keep this going. He is already probably on a downslide because of back to back wars. In boxing you become punchdrunk fast doing that. He did well turning this fight down. Good job Rua, and great fights against Vera, and Hendo. Take a break then fight some has been, or known Tomato Can. I want you in top, prime form for Jones. Lay off the rice, and pork, and do some road work for that one. Its tough in the UFC for the champs because they keep putting deserving guys in front of you. You have to choose who you fight as champion. The WBC, WBA, and other organizations use to name a number 1 contender and give you a time limit, say 6 months or a year to fight that guy. I don't know. I'm selfish so I like what the UFC does as far as making fights. C'mon guys who cares Jones turned down Sonnen. I don't want to see Sonnen ever again I think. He got trashed by Silva. He has to reprove himself. He is getting too much credit for almost beating Silva. He lost!! And, Silva had injuries ! Serious ones ! I know the UFC need marketable fighters with all the deadbeat, Tomato Cans that proliferate their organization but leave Sonnen out. He just talks. I want to see Machida or Rua, but I respect their decisions not to fight. Weidman. Good job, and protect that guy. He speaks well, carries himself well. He is just a likeable dude, who can fight like a demon. He is intelligent, and articulate. He will sell PPVs. Let me tell you. I don't care what you do, but can you get Gina Carano into some shows. She doesn't have to fight. I just want to see her face, and hear her speak. I love that voice, and her amazing face. I hear her movies are kinda duds so wont give up 2 hours. You need to put Silva-Weidman on soon to redeem yourself Dana. Plain and simple. Why's everyone blaming Jones for turning down a fight noone want to see ? And for, in a roundabout way, cancelling a show ? It's Hendo who got hurt. Shit happens.In all sports. I simply cannot believe they'd risk Rua's health, and life for a few million lousy bucks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.