UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UG Blog interview: Jason Saggo

8/24/12 5:23 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1072 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Canadian lightweight Jason Saggo next fight is on the Score Fighting Series against Eric Attard on August 25th.

Imre Gams: Thank you for taking the time to speak with me again. So first off, where have you been and what have you been up to since winning your last fight nine months ago?

Jason Saggo: Well the biggest thing was that right after my win I went to India, and Thailand for the third time. Something definitely clicked for me in Thailand. I was training at Tiger Muay Thai with some great people - former champions, and even MMA fighters. Brian Ebersole was there. When I was there last time, something came together mentally for me. I became a lot more confident with my Muay Thai, I didn’t let myself get pushed around. I became more aggressive, more loose and confident with my standup.

IG: How long were you in Thailand this time around?

JS: This time, I was there for three months, and before that I was in India. I completed a teacher training course in yoga, which lasted four weeks, and then had nose surgery to fix some breathing problems I was having, which unfortunately meant that I was out of training for another five to six weeks. I took that opportunity to travel through India - I went north to south - and then headed over to Thailand and just worked on my Jiujitsu before my nose was okay enough to start training in Muay Thai.

IG: You mentioned that something clicked for you over there, and that you became more confident with your striking skills. Could you tell us a bit more about that?

JS: I like staying in the pocket now. I’m more comfortable in the pocket, and I know now that I can hang with very high level fighters just striking. It’s definitely added an entirely new dimension to my game, and I feel like my striking is now on par with my grappling.

IG: You are known mostly for your grappling ability, and I’m sure past opponents would prepare for you knowing that you are primarily looking for the submission. How do you see yourself as a fighter right now?

JS: I’m much more balanced now. I’ve always felt like my Jiujitsu has been my standout ability, and I have five wins by submission and one by TKO, so I have always considered myself a submission fighter. Now I feel like my standup has caught up with my grappling, and I promise to show that in my next fight.

IG: Taking your training to Thailand aside, where is your home camp situated, and what does your current team look like?

JS: I’m still based out Gracie Humaita in Bolton, Ontario. I’ll always be with Royler Gracie black belt Professor Paul Abel, who is my head coach in both Jiujitsu and MMA. My Muay Thai coach is Kru Mel of Lanna MMA. My boxing coach is Djordje Krstich . I’ve been working on my wrestling with teammate and pro fighter Matt McGrath, and I’ve also been training my wrestling with the University of Guelph. My Strength and Conditioning coach is Alex Possamai of Crossfit Bolton. Alex has helped me a lot in terms of developing the mental strength you need to really push through the hard times. He is so knowledgable, and helping trigger the right muscles to fire when they need to. He has competed at the Crossfit Games, and places a great amount of emphasis on proper technique and safety.

IG: One thing that’s always stood out to me about you is your passion for Yoga. How did that happen?

JS: I started Yoga years ago, but it was more of an on and off thing. I really got into it when I was in Hawaii about two years ago. I learned how much Yoga can benefit me both as a person and as a martial artist. Ever since, it’s been a daily habit for me. It influenced me so much that I wanted to become a certified trainer, so I went to India and completed the two hundred hour course that the Himalaya Yoga Valley Institution offers. Right now, I’m actually working on a Yoga course specifically for martial artists. Yoga has helped me not only with flexibility, but also with breathing. I think breathing is a very neglected area of martial arts, and it is a key towards controlling your own body.

IG: You’re set to face Eric Attard on the Score Fighting Series in Hamilton, Ontario on August 25th. Is this a step up in competition for you?

JS: I think so. He is a very aggressive opponent who is also very well rounded. He is a very game opponent, and I’m not taking this fight lightly at all.

IG: You’re at a point right now in your career where you have opponents turning you down because they don’t want to fight you. Where do you see yourself this time next year?

JS: Hopefully the UFC for sure. If everything works out, and I win all my fights, then I hope to get the UFC’s attention. I definitely know I have what it takes to not only compete in the UFC, but to win. Right now, it’s just a matter of getting their attention.

IG: Thank you for your time. Any last words you want to share?

JS: I’d like to thank everybody for checking this interview out, and I’d also like to thank my sponsors: RIDM - Rapid-Interactive Disability Management, Crossfit Bolton, GP8 Sport Water, and Kimurawear. Please follow me on Twitter @JasonSaggo, and on Facebook as well. You can check me out on www.JasonSaggo.com as well. I’m also looking to take on students to teach privates to, so get in touch with me if you are interested! Also definitely contact me for tickets to the event. Thanks again everybody.

That’s the interview, and I’d just like to quickly give you my thoughts on Jason Saggo. He is a fighter who has truly dedicated his life to MMA. He is training right, training smart, and he never really takes time off. I asked him in the interview if he wanted to call anybody out, or if he had anything to say about his opponent. He declined, and told me that he wanted to be recognized for the work he puts in and for the performances he puts on. His manager however, has told me that he has a list of opponents that he wants Saggo to fight that would unquestionably move him up into the top tier of lightweight fighters in Canada. Having a gimmick is something that’s becoming increasingly popular in this sport - it certainly worked miracles for Chael Sonnen. I’m not saying it is necessarily a bad thing for the sport, but I am telling you that Saggo is simply that good that he doesn’t need a gimmick. If you don’t know him now, I promise you that you will know him very soon.

8/24/12 7:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SBogar
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That picture looks nothing like Jason..
8/24/12 7:43 PM
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you know him SBogar?
8/24/12 7:47 PM
SBogar
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I sure do!
8/24/12 8:25 PM
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
8/24/12 9:09 PM
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers

Hey any way to change the pic in the article to this:

http://www.jasonsaggo.com/sites/default/files/styles/medium/public/images/jason_profile_shorter.jpg

That's actually a pic of one of Saggo's past opponents haha
8/24/12 9:40 PM
Ray Elbe
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason Saggo is very well rounded. I've had the opportunity to train with him since 2007 and everything just keeps improving by leaps and bounds.

Will be fun to see him in the UFC soon Phone Post
8/24/12 9:41 PM
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers

Ray Elbe -  Jason Saggo is very well rounded. I've had the opportunity to train with him since 2007 and everything just keeps improving by leaps and bounds.

Will be fun to see him in the UFC soon Phone Post

Indeed! He has always had nothing but the best to say about you, Ray whenever he talks about his trips to Thailand.
8/24/12 10:21 PM
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers

ttt Phone Post
8/25/12 2:35 PM
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers

FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers -  Hey any way to change the pic in the article to this:

http://www.jasonsaggo.com/sites/default/files/styles/medium/public/images/jason_profile_shorter.jpg

That's actually a pic of one of Saggo's past opponents haha
TTT for pic change! Phone Post
8/25/12 2:46 PM
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers

Saggo's texting me asking why he looks like Taylor Solomon :) Phone Post
8/25/12 3:31 PM
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers

TTT Phone Post
8/25/12 6:08 PM
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers

FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers - TTT Phone Post
Z Phone Post
8/25/12 9:16 PM
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers

Jason Saggo WINS BY FIRST ROUND REAR NAKED CHOKE!!!!! Phone Post
8/25/12 9:23 PM
Ray Elbe
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers - Jason Saggo WINS BY FIRST ROUND REAR NAKED CHOKE!!!!! Phone Post
Boom Phone Post
8/25/12 9:54 PM
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers

He showed off some much improved wrestling I think Phone Post
8/27/12 5:43 PM
Jason Saggo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello everyone,

It is said that your net worth is determined by your network and I truly have one of the best networks around! I am especially grateful to my training team consisting of head coach, Professor Paul Abel, Thai coach Kru Mel Bellissimo, strength and conditioning coach Alex Possamai of Crossfit Bolton and Chris Pricket (national wrestling champion) for all his help with my wrestling
as well as the entire Guelph Wrestling Team. Secondly I want to thank all of my sponsors, RIDM.NET, GP8 Sport Water, Nest Creative, KODE garments, Kimurawear, Khampmedia and teamrks.com. I want to thank all of my friends and fans who made it to the fight as well as those who watched online; you guys are amazing! Thank you to Dr. Robert Ames for all his help getting me medically cleared and to my amazing girlfriend Rachel, for her unwavering support and encouragement. Thanks as well to Matt Macgrath and to the entire Wulfrun MMA team for all your help getting me ready for this fight and for your hospitality while I was in PEI. I would also like to thank all of my training partners from Gracie Humaita Bolton and Lanna Muay Thai for keeping me going in my day to day training, as always. I am also grateful to the Jewel brothers, Doug Smith, Adrian Woolley and Jorge Britto for coming out to our training camps and for helping me prepare for this fight. I would also like to give an extra special thanks to my opponent, Eric Attard, for stepping up and sharing the cage with me; and finally, I want to express my appreciation to the Score Fighting Series for the opportunity to fight, and for their exceptional professionalism and top notch treatment. It was an amazing show. I felt really strong and ready for an all out battle this fight. I feel like I was in the best physical and mental shape of my career and I'm looking forward to firing it up again real soon!

Sincerely

Jason Saggo
8/27/12 11:04 PM
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers

TTT and let's get that pic changed!!! Phone Post
8/27/12 11:13 PM
CoreyHillLeg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

any video of the fight?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.