UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Chin ups

8/25/12 6:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ringworm74
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok this is my situation, when i do chin ups or pull ups i have a tendency to hold my breath like a fish. Has anyone here ever noticed their breathing pattern when doing them? I think that is what is hindering me from completing more reps. As it is im only doing reps of three for a few sets. I weigh 250lbs and I think i im headed in the right path. Need some help on it though..... Phone Post
8/26/12 9:57 PM
Ringworm74
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you mean that you would do pull up to where your head didnt clear the bar? Then you move on to lat pull down? Didnt quite understand.... Phone Post
8/27/12 9:52 PM
Ringworm74

Ok its in the works....... Phone Post
8/27/12 11:32 PM
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take the bog standard weight training advice and exhale during the concentric phase, that will sort out your breathing pattern.
8/28/12 1:08 AM
Ringworm74

Hulc im sorry..... Wat phase is that? Up or down? I dropped out in ninth. Phone Post
8/28/12 10:07 AM
Seul
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

imo, the only really important thing to know (if you can already do a couple chins) about increasing chin-up numbers is to do lots of chins as often as you can tolerate.

You'll get further (imo) setting up a bar in your house somewhere and knocking out a few sets a day than you will messing with a lat pull-down machine.

I know tons of people who spent years working out on lat pull-down machines who still cant do 1 real chin-up, all the people I know who have disregarded all of exercise science/general S&C true-isms, ignored thoughts about sets/reps, and just put a lot of time in on a chin-up bar have gotten stronger and been able to rep a ton of chin-ups.

I was part of a circus for a couple years in college (chinning strength and endurance is a big part of many circus acts, as many require you to climb or hang from shit), and I saw tons of fat/weak people (many of whom were womenfolk) start repping out sets of 10+ reps after just spending lots of time on the chin-up bar. No further thought required, though of course you can get as specific as you want with reps/sets/methods etc etc if it helps you put in the required time.

As far as breathing, just experiment with different ways of breathing while you go up and down and I'm confident you will figure it out in a week or so.

My opinions, anyways.
8/28/12 11:43 AM
Ringworm74

Sounds good, i think ill just keep reppin out. Im proud that i weigh 250 and able to bust out three, but im shooting for a short term goal of 10 Phone Post
8/28/12 1:42 PM
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The concentric phase is when you are going against resistance - so in a chin up it would be when you are pulling, in a bench press it would be when you are pushing, etc.

This is very basic stuff that you should be doing in all resistance exercises.
8/28/12 3:05 PM
Bobsdf
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"From: Ringworm74
... i have a tendency to hold my breath like a fish."

Fish don't have lungs, they have gills, and, as such, can't hold their breath.
8/29/12 3:59 PM
Ringworm74

Interesting.... I thought that was a bit fishy.... Phone Post
8/29/12 7:40 PM
Ringworm74

I usually do pullups reps of three after deads then move on to other back exersices. Chin ups same amount of reps i do after i flat bench with bar and db bench are completed. I think its gonna work. Phone Post
8/30/12 12:59 PM
SRBEN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't even think about my breathing when doing pull ups; it comes completely natural to me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.