UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Belcher: Weidman makes sense, Silva not so much

8/26/12 10:32 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Chris Weidman, I think that fight makes sense. Do I think he's the number one contender? I don't know about that but I think he's definitely up there."

"I don't see a title shot even happening. Anderson Silva's at a point where he needs to be fighting Jon Jones, he needs to be fighting GSP. If I'm Anderson Silva's manager, that's what I'm telling him to do. Don't mess around with Alan Belcher or Chris Weidman there. I ain't even worried about that."

transcribed by MMAMania.com...

8/26/12 10:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
skinnywussy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters need to stop thinking about which fights "make sense" for them. That's Joe Silva's job. Phone Post
8/26/12 10:41 PM
JohnnyChrist

skinnywussy -  Fighters need to stop thinking about which fights "make sense" for them. That's Joe Silva's job. Phone Post

You need to stop thinking about what your day at work is going to be like, that's your manager's job.
8/26/12 10:41 PM
DWFAN

Weidman definitely proved himself an eminently capable fighter against Munoz. That said, Weidman does not have the name value - yet - to justify a high-profile, "money" fight with Silva. He undoubtedly possesses the skillset to make it interesting amongst the hardcore UG fanbase, but he is virtually unknown with casual fans. The prescription for this enthusiasm gap is a high-profile fight between Weidman and Belcher, as Belcher suggests. With the appropriate promotional push behind Weidman in one more match (and assuming Weidman is victorious), a match with Silva is much more feasible and likely to yield the necessary PPV revenue.
8/26/12 10:45 PM
ZombiedKoreanTurnipHead
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DWFAN - Weidman definitely proved himself an eminently capable fighter against Munoz. That said, Weidman does not have the name value - yet - to justify a high-profile, "money" fight with Silva. He undoubtedly possesses the skillset to make it interesting amongst the hardcore UG fanbase, but he is virtually unknown with casual fans. The prescription for this enthusiasm gap is a high-profile fight between Weidman and Belcher, as Belcher suggests. With the appropriate promotional push behind Weidman in one more match (and assuming Weidman is victorious), a match with Silva is much more feasible and likely to yield the necessary PPV revenue.
Yep,and after the awful year the UFC have had i think a Silva fight early next year against gsp or jones is the only fight that makes sense. Phone Post
8/26/12 11:13 PM
MachidasBrew 209TT

skinnywussy - Fighters need to stop thinking about which fights "make sense" for them. That's Joe Silva's job. Phone Post
He just Jelly. Phone Post
8/26/12 11:19 PM
mijo

Alan telling it like it is.
8/26/12 11:23 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice to Belcher's realistic about everything Phone Post
8/26/12 11:25 PM
StrikeforceSupporter

Fedor vs Anderson Silva at 205.
8/26/12 11:26 PM
AndersonSilvasMoney
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Props to Belcher for seeing that the MW division is far from solidified. Give it another six months and we might have a clearer picture of what the top 5/10 looks like.
8/26/12 11:30 PM
StrikeforceSupporter

AndersonSilvasMoney - Props to Belcher for seeing that the MW division is far from solidified. Give it another six months and we might have a clearer picture of what the top 5/10 looks like.

The clear top-contender fight at M.W. is Tim Boetsch vs Chris weidman, for sure.
8/27/12 12:47 AM
SomeoneToDoYourDirtyWork

I was NOT a Belcher fan when he first arrived in the th e UFC at all....but, his fighting style and humility shift really has made me a fan these days....he will fight anyone and is well rounded....
8/27/12 2:06 AM
UGCTT_zackthewop
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAfanWA -
StrikeforceSupporter -
AndersonSilvasMoney - Props to Belcher for seeing that the MW division is far from solidified. Give it another six months and we might have a clearer picture of what the top 5/10 looks like.

The clear top-contender fight at M.W. is Tim Boetsch vs Chris weidman, for sure.
lol Tim Boetsch :D Phone Post
It's true

Wins over ring, okami, grove, and Lombard

Vs a guy with

Wins over sakara, lawlor, Munoz, and Maia.

Both beat former #1 contenders (maia and okami) and both beat guys who were one shot away from a title shot (lombard and Munoz)

IMO boetsch's two biggest wins were against better fighters than weidmans two best wins.

Belchers last 4 wins were against Paul Harris, cote, macdonald, and gouveia. All good wins but not on boetsch and weidmans level yet.

That should definitely be a #1 contender fight Phone Post
8/27/12 2:14 AM
BaraoKix

SomeoneToDoYourDirtyWork -  I was NOT a Belcher fan when he first arrived in the th e UFC at all....but, his fighting style and humility shift really has made me a fan these days....he will fight anyone and is well rounded....

You just had no idea who he was, its like that with most fans, until Rogan starts buttering them up. Or Goldie remarks about his "bad intentions"...
8/27/12 2:15 AM
ChaosOverkill
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mijo - Alan telling it like it is.

8/27/12 3:07 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_zackthewop -
MMAfanWA -
StrikeforceSupporter -

lol Tim Boetsch :D Phone Post
It's true

Wins over ring, okami, grove, and Lombard

Vs a guy with

Wins over sakara, lawlor, Munoz, and Maia.

Both beat former #1 contenders (maia and okami) and both beat guys who were one shot away from a title shot (lombard and Munoz)

IMO boetsch's two biggest wins were against better fighters than weidmans two best wins.

Belchers last 4 wins were against Paul Harris, cote, macdonald, and gouveia. All good wins but not on boetsch and weidmans level yet.

That should definitely be a #1 contender fight Phone Post
I think Weidman owns him. Despite being one himself, Boestch struggles with wrestlers. Okami and Lombard outwrestled him.

I know he'd picked up a couple good wins, but Im still not really convinced hes terribly talented. Phone Post
8/28/12 12:03 PM
REDRUM_NYC

Only Weidman can defeat Anderson

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.