UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> First triathlon

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/27/12 9:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Nalaan
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just did my first tri this week end and i think i'm hooked for life.
Been training on and off for a year or so and decided to go for it last week end.
It was a sprint tri , 750m Swim, 12 miles bike and 5k.
I did horrible on the swim, never swam in a lake, and someone grabbed my ankle (Nothing malicious, that shit happens) which sent me into the worst panic mode i've ever experienced, couldn't control my breathing. Ended up swimming the distance in 18 mimutes instead of 14 which sucked.
Overall time was an hour and 21 minutes which i'm pretty damn happy with, but most of all it was a fantastic experience.
Even you're competing against each other people are cheering each other up, you get to meet a ton of like minded peeps aaaaand there's pussy EVERYWHERE. In shape women of all ages everyfuckingwhere!

For you people on the fence about trying this out, go for it, you'll be hooked like i an now!
8/27/12 10:11 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep, they're great. Like you say, it's like a group of people competing against themselves, not each other. Most people are very cool.

You literally never swam in open water? That's a big key, some people just freak out and you never know if you are one till you do. The lake at the end of my block has plants growing on the bottom and as you swim out from shore they're like 6" from your face, they'll brush your legs if you're dragging, haha!

Anyway, you gonna do another sprint or two of just train for an oly distance one now? Any plans for long distance or just take it as it comes?
8/27/12 10:21 AM
Nalaan
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Season is pretty much over for this year or close to, i'm going to do more Sprints next year and transition to Oly the year after. I'd like to hit the 1 hour 15 mark for sprint before i move on, and i think i can do it with a decent swim and a little more work on the biking / running.
I didn't feel exhausted at the end, if anything i was stil totally amped up and could probably have pushed myself more, but it was my very first and i'm glad it went down the way it did!
Will incorporate a lot more lake swims next year tho, lesson learnt!
8/27/12 5:35 PM
FSMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats!

I'm looking at getting into tri's too!

Got a road bike a few months ago that I've been riding and I've been swimming as well. Not too worried about a run because I'm fairly decent at that.

8/28/12 8:17 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did one in the beginning of Spring here and another 2 this past summer, sandwiched in between was a Tough Mudder. I think they are a LOT of fun if you aren't a lazy sloth :P

I had a funny story about someone grabbing my ankle to but I ended up kicking them with my heel of the opposing foot (hardest bone in the body, calcaneus) felt terrible 
8/28/12 10:24 AM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did a sprint this year and last, and I'm hooked. My buddy thinks I should give a HIM a shot next year. I'm going to see if I can train up to it., but at the least I want to do a Oly Tri. Got a 1/2 marathon in a couple weeks. Enjoy the journey! Phone Post
9/9/12 5:01 AM
jujubre
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did triathlon for 6 years. Amasing sport. Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.