UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Forearm development.

8/27/12 9:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OSBtro11
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well , this might be more of an aesthetic goal when it comes to strength training. I'm lucky enough to have decent proportions on my body ( 5'8 , 148-150) but of course, like many others feel as well, bigger stronger arms wouldn't hurt. I've never exactly tried to specifically target my forearms , as I felt it was maybe unsafe for a beginner to do isolation work on them( trying to avoid possible tendon damage) . I've always been able to easily stimulate these muscles threw almost any exercise involving my arms , and by doing slower reps to trigger slow twitch fibers deeper in my forearms. But, I would appreciate ANY training advice, tips , tricks and secrects to developing full strong forearms... Also the other benefits of having strong lower arms aside ladies drooling over them and feeling like Brock Lesnar would be awesome to here. Thank you in advance and happy and healthy training to y'all ! Phone Post
8/27/12 10:01 PM
OSBtro11

TTT Phone Post
8/27/12 10:24 PM
Rusty Shackleford
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8 years of picking up garbage worked wonders for me ;)... deadlifts?
8/27/12 10:43 PM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

#1-redtube.com

#2-Use both arms
8/27/12 10:44 PM
OSBtro11

LOL Phone Post
8/27/12 10:54 PM
banco

Hammer curls, reverse wrist curls and wrist curls and you're set. Don't go below 12 reps a set on wrist curls.
8/27/12 11:27 PM
sside maurice
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weighted chins.
8/28/12 5:05 PM
12toSix
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK HERES THE SECRET. Do straight bar curl.....except reverse grip. And instead of using a death grip to hold the bar use your fingers and thumbs primarily( so not much palm action. Go slow up and down. I do 4 sets of eight-12. Phone Post
8/28/12 5:26 PM
OSBtro11

Thank you guys Phone Post
8/28/12 11:36 PM
TzTinkle
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always added size by doing lots of back work. Heavy one handed dumbell rows, hammer strength iso lateral row, hammer grip lat pull downs.
8/29/12 9:08 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lift heavy and incorporate grip intensive accessory movements.
8/29/12 7:29 PM
OSBtro11

Anything to watch out for, stuff that might minimize development or cause tendon damage?? Phone Post
8/30/12 2:52 AM
BALLSDEEP
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bail hay.
8/30/12 7:58 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OSBtro11 -  Anything to watch out for, stuff that might minimize development or cause tendon damage?? Phone Post

I would be careful with the wrist curls and other direct wrist movements. Not that they are harmful in themselves but moreso the way they are often programmed. I think direct wrist movements are better for strengthening wrists than building massive forearms.

You dont need direct training to get huge forearms. I like incorporating the following movements/variations into training sessions to work my forearms.
Heavy deads with 2 second pause at top.
Farmers carries
Towel grip pullups
Fat grip rows
Battle rope work
Bottoms up kettlebell work
Tire flips
High rep cleans (I consider 5 reps high!)
8/30/12 2:44 PM
Leck Brosnar

^ That is good info. Any lifting you do, do it with a bar as thick as you can or buy a pair of fatgripz or something of the sort. If you do pullups, roll a towel around the bar to increase the thickness, rope climb, use grippers.
8/30/12 4:51 PM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First thing, though, is you have to realize muscles located in the forearm are responsible for movements at the wrist and most of the movements at the fingers. Most wrist exercises like wrist and reverse wrist curls don't actually do a good job of working the grip muscles. There are many types of forearm/grip exercises which can go a long way in enabling you to handle poundage‘s easier in other activities. According to Randall Strossen in the Ironmind catalog, there are 3 distinct types of grip strength: supporting (like in a deadlift), pinching, and crushing. Following are a few of my favorites and a good representation of the first two. (Working with a good gripper is the really only good way to improve gripping)

Heavy Duty Grippers - When I talk about grippers, I am not talking about the Wal-Mart plastic jobs. I am talking about the heavy duty grippers with knurled handles like the IronMind Captain of Crush® Grippers. Training with grippers to develop your forearms is severely underrated.

The Farmer's Walk - Grab 2 heavy dumbbells, sandbags, plates or dumbbell like objects. Keep your shoulders up and back and start walking. Make sure you walk over a marked distance or time. For a more intense version, do it rest-pause style. For example, walk a marked distance/time, put the objects down and rest 15 seconds and then proceed again. This not only makes for a great hand/forearm developer but is fantastic for working your conditioning.

The Deadlift Lockout - This is a top position (few inches) deadlift in a rack. You pull it from the pins overhand style and hold it there as long as possible. Another option (courtesy of Hardgainer author Mike Thompson) is to deadlift it and hold it for 10 seconds for 1 rep. Do your sets like any other exercise. This is much more fun with a thick bar.

Wrist Roller - Preferably use a thick one. Stand on two benches or whatever and hold your arms perpendicular to the floor (even more challenging for your forearms and upper body are keeping your arms out in front, parallel to the ground), roll the roller by flexing your wrist. Then on the second windup, do them while extending your wrist. This works both sides and it's hard to hang onto with sufficient weight. Another option (courtesy of MILO author Howard Menkes) is to cut a piece of pipe the length of the width of your cage. Drill a hole in the middle for the rope and place it in the posts of your rack. Stand on a bench or chair to get more range. Takes all the negatives out of this movement. You don't have to hold your arms down.

Pinch Grip - Grab a pair of plates and place them against each other smooth side out, and pull them off of a bench. Keep the plates perfectly against each other. Just sort of row them up and down from the bench or hold perfectly still. Re-grip every time the plates hit the bench. Another option (again from Thompson) is to drill a hole in a smooth 2x4 and place a chain through to hold the plates. Gives you the advantage of being able to train 2 hands at a time and small weight progression.

Weaver Stick Lift - Load up one end of a long pole with a small amount of weight. Lay long ways on a bench with the end hanging off. Pick up pole while keeping the pole parallel to the bench at all times. Lower while keeping parallel. Repeat. A few pounds will devastate most. There are many more exercises including doing your upper body exercises with a 2" or 3" thick bar which makes each exercise a very tough (a good thing) endeavor.

Find a few exercises that you like and rotate them every workout. Don't overdo it, but work hard at it.

TAKU 

8/30/12 7:17 PM
shadallion
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kai Greene trains his forearms BEFORE he does bicept/tricep work in his arm routine.

He does wrist curls, then reverse curls, then hammer curls for forearms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYmVP74CLFw

I've done the routine every Sunday for the past month and it is a monster.
8/30/12 8:34 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku makes the best points by far but I'd like to add, grab a set of the heaviest dumbbells you can hold and hold them for 2-3 sets of max time. Works wonders for my grip. 
8/31/12 6:55 AM
OSBtro11

Awesome stuff, couldn't ask for better answers/ info. Will be exploring all of these options !! Thank all you guys. Phone Post
8/31/12 11:30 AM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey AKO,

Thanks.

BTW...Did'nt I say what you said in the Famers walk section?

TAKU
8/31/12 3:26 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku -  Hey AKO,

Thanks.

BTW...Did'nt I say what you said in the Famers walk section?

TAKU

dammit I got ahead of myself...I actually somehow didn't see the first two items you've mentioned! apologies. 
8/31/12 9:36 PM
Badmonkey

Here's a routine i did years ago when i was obsessed with forearm development; it was from a bulletin written by a company called Health For Life: it was called Legendary Forearms.

Grab a bench and set it up next to a cable pulley setup at the gym: one that would allow you to do bicep curls with the shorter, rotating straight bar attachment.

I remember it taking me a couple workouts to get the weight right, but the pump was incredible; fight the burn and finish the sets and reps regardless of how much you need to lower the weight at first: you'll progress fast(at least i did.

There are three exercises you'll be doing with the rotating straight bar the first two will be the wrist curl and reverse wrist curl. These will be done with you seated on the edge of the bench with your forearms resting on your legs and your wrists hanging off the edge of your knees.

Here's a demo of the wrist curl(you'll be using the cable setup for easier super setting): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMrgVl-2tnc
I feel the more you open your hand and extend your fingers the better the burn, but if thats not possible anymore after a few sets just curl your wrist best you can.

The next movement is the reverse wrist curl; here's a demo of them, but you can stay seated on the edge of the bench and not pop-squat like these shmucks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFnkjrc1Bf0

The last move is a standing reverse curl. Just stand up, grab the bar with your palms facing down and curl it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37D9HBHtuxk

This setup is kind of what i was thinking, but set your wrists of the edge of your legs so the resistance is a little lower than in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCOIXkmjHvc

So here's the routine; the secret is to move from one exercise to the next as quickly as possible; you will most likely have to lower the weight for the reverse wrist curls or as you fatigue after a few sets: do it as fast as possible and chase that burn!!

You will be super setting the seated wrist curl with the reverse wrist curl; that means you'll perform the seated wrist curl for 8-12 reps and then - with as little rest as possible - immediately perform the reverse wrist curl for 8-12 reps... DO THIS SIX TIMES with AS LITTLE REST AS POSSIBLE between supersets and lower/raise the weight as needed to try to get 8-12 reps with each set.

After your sixth superset you will continue doing the seated wrist curl but instead of the seated reverse wrist curl you will be super setting it with the standing reverse curl - move into these following six sets immediately and adjust the weight as needed to keep at 8-12 reps.

In essence you will be performing 12 supersets as quickly as possible; it's that simple.

I use to finish off by holding a 40lb dumbbell in each hand by my side while standing and just rotating them in and out until i had to drop them... i might rest 30 seconds and do this 2-3 times.

When you're all done stretch it out and admire the swelling.

8/31/12 11:21 PM
OSBtro11

Badmonkey, thanks for taking the time man. Once again thanks to everybody putting their two cents in. This thread can provide great tips for everybody on the forum now. Awesome Phone Post
9/1/12 12:32 PM
Taku

HFL had some awesome stuff. I own all of their books.

TAKU
9/1/12 10:15 PM
banco

Taku -  HFL had some awesome stuff. I own all of their books.

TAKU

Yeah they seemed to have disappeared but they had a big presence in the '90's with legendary abs and so on.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.