UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Evans: Jones failed his responsibility as champion

8/29/12 1:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
spartancs
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ice Cold Igors Right Hand - 
spartancs - 
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand -  First I agree with Bisping, now Rashad?

This is no good. Phone Post

Maybe Jesus's master plan for JBJ's is for him to make an ass of himslef and thereby bring people together. The Lord works in mysterious ways.....haha

LOL wow maybe so VFTU when I get more votes for that one! 

glad you got a chuckle out of that.  cheers.
8/29/12 1:49 AM
Boofhead3
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rashad is spot on!! Phone Post
8/29/12 1:59 AM
SinCityHustler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slugshot331 - Hasha laying down the truth.  Class act as always.

Class act as always???

This is the guy who told an opponent that he was going to put hands on him like other dude at Penn State did to those little kids.  

Look I'm a Rashad fan, I support all the wrestlers, but lets not get carried away with the class comments, especially adding in the always.  

Boooooo JBJ
8/29/12 4:24 AM
swany

I wonder if it was anyone else but sonnen if jbj would have accepted the fight , prolly didn't wanna give a guy a shot who has not earnt it and just trying to make a quick buck by fighting jbj
8/29/12 5:01 AM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SinCityHustler -
slugshot331 - Hasha laying down the truth.  Class act as always.

Class act as always???

This is the guy who told an opponent that he was going to put hands on him like other dude at Penn State did to those little kids.  

Look I'm a Rashad fan, I support all the wrestlers, but lets not get carried away with the class comments, especially adding in the always.  

Boooooo JBJ
I agree. But would add that this comes off as classier because Rashad has never put forward an image that screams tact or class, or been very apologetic about it. Phone Post
8/29/12 8:53 AM
CindyO

Warzone209 - 
Gunter Vogler - 
Warzone209 - 
Gunter Vogler - 
LilBrockonmychest -  "Not only that, you became champion of the UFC through circumstances like this."

Would people quit fucking saying this.  Jon Jones was 12-0 going into the Bader fight (not counting the Hammil 'loss') and fighting a guy, Bader, who was 5-0 in the UFC.  Jones was 6-0 in the UFC in the LHW division and had DESTROYED all 6 opponents.  He had 100% earned his title shot.  Chael was 2-2 in his last 4 in the MIDDLEWEIGHT division and lost 2 of his last 3 in the LHW division, getting finished in both.  Oh, and that was 6-7 years ago. 

And why do people keep bringing up what you just brought up?

Jones didn't refuse to fight because Chael Sonnen hadn't "earned it".

Jones refused to fight PERIOD.

Considering he said he would fight chael at 152 after a short training camp I think you got your facts mixed up there.

I'm talking about UFC 151, genius.

He didn't refuse the fight at 151 because Sonnen wasn't worthy (not that it's even his place or business to decide who is worthy or deserving of a shot-it's NOT-it's not his belt, it's the UFCs).

He refused to fight ANYONE else they would have come up with for UFC 151.

No fighter should have to take a short notice no camp fight..This is UFC not Bumfights.com

*just gonna leave this here*

“I’m glad the UFC wanted to work with me, as well. I think they trust that I will never make them look bad. You never have to worry about me getting a DWI or doing something crazy. I think I’m a good company guy.

The UFC asks me to do anything and I always do it. I never tell them ‘no.’ I think I’ve had to do more marketing than any other fighter because I say no to absolutely nothing. I don’t think most champs are like that.”

Hmmm... maybe stuff like this is why they thought they could trust Jon wouldn't make them look bad by refusing to fight an alternate so the show could go on, especially since the opponent hadn't been training and recently suffered the biggest loss (IHO) of his career. Maybe that's what happens when a fighter begins to fancy himself a businessman. But  a businessman would have never bailed on the opportunity to rape the bank (no way would Henderson's POV numbers be higher than Sonnen's) financially, personally and professionally, especially if he is also the elite athlete and champ his money is being double-downed on.

Word of such a bout would have spread like wildfire and they could have put this thing together just about overnight and be sold out within a day! Big bonuses would have been handed out, 20 guys (plus crew) would have gotten a payday, fighters would have added to their highlight reels and closed new deals if they performed well, and fans would have been treated to a Rocky style fight after a week of entertaining smack-talking between Sonnen and Jones! Well... if Jones hadn't said no, of course (even though the company man claimed "I say no to absolutely nothing. I don’t think most champs are like that.”).

Hard to assess the true fallout yet but do you think his decision will be of benefit or harm to his career, short and long term? Thanks.

Cindy
8/29/12 9:22 AM
rjambi

Well said Mr. Evans. JJ is a disgrace.
8/29/12 9:23 AM
Naderhood
798 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mijo -  His responsibility was fully met when he kicked Rashads ass though! Rashad is right, but we all know what happens when he fights Jon Jones! Just saying! Phone Post

You're not........no. I refuse to believe you are this stupid.
8/29/12 5:08 PM
Damasta Shonuff
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 
Warzone209 - 
Gunter Vogler - 
Warzone209 - 
Gunter Vogler - 
LilBrockonmychest -  "Not only that, you became champion of the UFC through circumstances like this."

Would people quit fucking saying this.  Jon Jones was 12-0 going into the Bader fight (not counting the Hammil 'loss') and fighting a guy, Bader, who was 5-0 in the UFC.  Jones was 6-0 in the UFC in the LHW division and had DESTROYED all 6 opponents.  He had 100% earned his title shot.  Chael was 2-2 in his last 4 in the MIDDLEWEIGHT division and lost 2 of his last 3 in the LHW division, getting finished in both.  Oh, and that was 6-7 years ago. 

Considering he said he would fight chael at 152 after a short training camp I think you got your facts mixed up there.

He didn't refuse the fight at 151 because Sonnen wasn't worthy (not that it's even his place or business to decide who is worthy or deserving of a shot-it's NOT-it's not his belt, it's the UFCs).

No fighter should have to take a short notice no camp fight..This is UFC not Bumfights.com

“I’m glad the UFC wanted to work with me, as well. I think they trust that I will never make them look bad. You never have to worry about me getting a DWI or doing something crazy. I think I’m a good company guy.

The UFC asks me to do anything and I always do it. I never tell them ‘no.’ I think I’ve had to do more marketing than any other fighter because I say no to absolutely nothing. I don’t think most champs are like that.”

Hmmm... maybe stuff like this is why they thought they could trust Jon wouldn't make them look bad by refusing to fight an alternate so the show could go on, especially since the opponent hadn't been training and recently suffered the biggest loss (IHO) of his career. Maybe that's what happens when a fighter begins to fancy himself a businessman. But  a businessman would have never bailed on the opportunity to rape the bank (no way would Henderson's POV numbers be higher than Sonnen's) financially, personally and professionally, especially if he is also the elite athlete and champ his money is being double-downed on.

Word of such a bout would have spread like wildfire and they could have put this thing together just about overnight and be sold out within a day! Big bonuses would have been handed out, 20 guys (plus crew) would have gotten a payday, fighters would have added to their highlight reels and closed new deals if they performed well, and fans would have been treated to a Rocky style fight after a week of entertaining smack-talking between Sonnen and Jones! Well... if Jones hadn't said no, of course (even though the company man claimed "I say no to absolutely nothing. I don’t think most champs are like that.”).

Hard to assess the true fallout yet but do you think his decision will be of benefit or harm to his career, short and long term? Thanks.

Cindy

Pretty sure with all of the BULLSHIT that Dana has said and then gone back on, you dont want to be taking this stance.

How many promises over the years have we heard out of Dana only to see nothing come of them. I usually dont harp on that, because I know how easy it is to say something and then have to later do exactly the opposite, but you pointing out that Jones has done that in an attempt to vilify him while ignoring that your own boss does it constantly is hypocritical at the very least. At least Jones has the excuse of being young and immature and still has a long ways to go in learning life lessons.

Why dont you start showing everyone where Dana said Chael would not be talking his way into a 205 light heavyweight champion fight of the world AND THEN OFFERED CHAEL THE CHANCE A WEEK LATER.
8/29/12 5:48 PM
MisterFixit
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 
Warzone209 - 
Gunter Vogler - 
Warzone209 - 
Gunter Vogler - 

Cindy

I think it will be an overall negative to his career long term. How much is hard to say. It depends on whether he keeps winning and whether he continues to bring in big PPV numbers for the UFC.

With a couple of losses and little fan support he'll be replaced by the next greatest thing.

8/29/12 7:07 PM
Fly Rodder
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Warzone209 -  CindyO,  JBJ will take Dana to the cleaners for trying to destroy his career with bad press when they renegociate his new contract after he destroys Vitor and Lyoto again.  I really wanna see Dana try to lowball offer JBJ on Reneg day when the MMA media is calling him the new P4P #1 because he fights 3-4 times a year. 

Some Media Outlets even let Anderson Silva have it for only taking 2 fights last year and only fought 1 time this year and said he's calling it till 2013 which lead that outfit to say he is ducking weidman...That P4P#1 spot is gonan go bye bye soon for being damn near inactive and to top it off Silva said he's gonna call out GSP if he loses to condit wtf...

Regarding the contract negotiations:

Everybody on the UG bitches that the fighters don't get paid enough and the sport is controlled by one company and it's either play their game or go home. The fighters themselves have almost *ZERO* leverage. Hall-of-Famer Randy Couture won the HW title and then *QUIT* because Zuffa wouldn't pay him as much as Lidell or what M1 would pay him to fight Fedor. Zuffa sued him. UG favorite Dan Henderson left the UFC, twice, because he didn't want to play Zuffa's game.

Dana had this to say the last time (2009):
For the money he wanted, he's not worth it. He's not a big pay-per-view star, he's not a big attraction, and he's not going to sell out arenas. He wants way too much and he doesn't bring anything to the table...I could care less."

Zuffa then bought Strikeforce and Henderson is back in the UFC's good graces as true representative of support.

Jon Jones, barring defeat, is going into contract renegotiations as the essentially undefeated, undisputed, near GOAT at 25. That represents all the upperhand he'll ever have and it could be worth millions versus getting fucked over by Zuffa. He wasn't about to risk that on the freak chance that Sonnen grinds out a decision because just Jones didn't have the time to prepare for *him*. Give him the chance to prepare for his opponent and Jones will fight anyone.

In world where fighters, including champions, have very little leverage there is ZERO reason to risk that because Zuffa said so. There's a world of difference between a $1 million a fight and $5 million a fight in a sport where a promising career can end lightening fast. Dana and Zuffa will continue to make millions every year because they have an endless supply of fighters, Jon Jones only has himself to rely on to make millions. No reason to risk that because he wasn't completely prepared.
8/29/12 9:15 PM
CindyO

Damasta Shonuff - 
CindyO - 
Warzone209 - 
Gunter Vogler - 
Warzone209 - 
Gunter Vogler - 

Cindy

Pretty sure with all of the BULLSHIT that Dana has said and then gone back on, you dont want to be taking this stance.

How many promises over the years have we heard out of Dana only to see nothing come of them. I usually dont harp on that, because I know how easy it is to say something and then have to later do exactly the opposite, but you pointing out that Jones has done that in an attempt to vilify him while ignoring that your own boss does it constantly is hypocritical at the very least. At least Jones has the excuse of being young and immature and still has a long ways to go in learning life lessons.

Why dont you start showing everyone where Dana said Chael would not be talking his way into a 205 light heavyweight champion fight of the world AND THEN OFFERED CHAEL THE CHANCE A WEEK LATER.

Um, this is my opinion on THIS thread on THIS topic and it's 100% my stance. If you want to know my thoughts about the other things you mentioned then staret a thread about it and I'll chime in:)

DW says and does some dumb shit sometimes- but he's not wrong about this, IMO. And I don't work for the guy so WTF is he gonna say to me about my comments, now or later? Not a dayum thing that will matter, ask Randy.

Cindy
8/29/12 9:17 PM
CindyO

MisterFixit - 
CindyO - 
Warzone209 - 
Gunter Vogler - 
Warzone209 - 
Gunter Vogler - 

Cindy

I think it will be an overall negative to his career long term. How much is hard to say. It depends on whether he keeps winning and whether he continues to bring in big PPV numbers for the UFC.

With a couple of losses and little fan support he'll be replaced by the next greatest thing.

So true. But I think he wouldn't pull this shit again if his life depended on it. Just not smart for ones career and I doubt he expected the backlash he has gotten.

Cindy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.