UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pulver: I'll stop when I'm dead

8/28/12 7:47 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I'm on this journey. I'm trying to beat the demons inside of me. Trust me, nobody is more negative than me, about me. Nobody says a negative comment that I haven't already said to myself a thousand times, at least."

If anything, Pulver's self-awareness is striking, a side effect of spending so much time lost in thought. As middle age bears down on him, "Lil' Evil" shows no hesitation talking out his struggles. In fact, he often jumps at the occasion. His honesty is a rarity in a sport governed by testosterone, but as time goes on, too often for his liking is it mistaken for delusion. "People say, when are you going to stop? Well, I guess when I'm dead," Pulver asserts defiantly.

"When are you going to stop battling inside your mind? I don't know, when there's a magical switch and I can hit the button, and say, ‘Awwww,' and then I'm good. Maybe then I'll grow up, walk away, and not even be near this sport. If I could I'd be out gardening all day, or be a chef, or who knows. But this is the only thing I knew. I think it's really hard to get people to understand, ‘why do you do it, Jens?' I do it because when I say it's all I know, it's all I know to combat all the negatives that are inside me. It's the only thing I can do to battle what's inside of me. It's what gets me up everyday, it's what makes me fight myself. The ability to go out there and train and do what I've known since I was a kid. It's what got me through all the child abuse, all the dysfunction, all the negative.

"It's hard to explain to people out there who don't understand it," Pulver exhales with a mixture of reluctance and indifference. "But at the same token, I don't try to force them to understand it, because I don't understand the way that they think either."

read entire article...

8/28/12 7:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Matt Phillips
822 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont think anyone but Jens Pulver is in the position to decide if its time to hang up the gloves.  I dont like it when people come on here and play armchair grappler and tell fighters to quit, it's un-American. 
8/28/12 8:00 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll always be a fan of Pulver. I hope he finds his peace sometime. Phone Post
8/28/12 8:02 PM
sockeye
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

safety first JENS!!!! you have a family to think about
8/28/12 8:06 PM
crowbar
776 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don`t ask him how he feels about Full Contact Fighter.
8/28/12 8:11 PM
3rdLion
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt Phillips -  I dont think anyone but Jens Pulver is in the position to decide if its time to hang up the gloves.  I dont like it when people come on here and play armchair grappler and tell fighters to quit, it's un-American. 

What exactly does "un-American" mean? We're concerned about his health.
8/28/12 8:12 PM
Ray Elbe
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crowbar -  Don`t ask him how he feels about Full Contact Fighter.
Do tell ;) Phone Post
8/28/12 8:12 PM
Leghound
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3rdLion - 
Matt Phillips -  I dont think anyone but Jens Pulver is in the position to decide if its time to hang up the gloves.  I dont like it when people come on here and play armchair grappler and tell fighters to quit, it's un-American. 

Being concerned about health is very un-American based on all the fat fucks I see in our country
8/28/12 8:19 PM
crowbar
776 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ray Elbe - 
crowbar -  Don`t ask him how he feels about Full Contact Fighter.
Do tell ;) Phone Post

Honestly Ray,

He didn`t go into the details,you could just tell that he was unhappy with them.
8/28/12 9:25 PM
3rdLion
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leghound -
3rdLion - 

Being concerned about health is very un-American based on all the fat fucks I see in our country
That's true however I am not American. Phone Post
8/28/12 9:33 PM
Kostakio
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pulver: I'll stop when I'm dead.
God: Okay.
Pulver: What do you mean? Phone Post
8/28/12 11:25 PM
Ludelow
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i believe him
8/29/12 1:51 AM
cambeezee

good shit Jens.  Dont let anyone tell you what you can and cant do in life.  He is just a man pursuing his passion.
8/29/12 2:01 AM
DojoJay
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the Jens I'll always remember, no matter what. First impressions are always the most lasting...

8/29/12 2:02 AM
Brian J DSouza

Traumatic brain injury, like Gary Goodridge suffered, is a possibility. The longer anyone fights, the more likely it is.
8/29/12 2:08 AM
spartancs
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/29/12 2:08 AM
 Good for you Jens.  Try to find some peace and happiness on your journey, you're a warrior and you deserve it. 
8/29/12 2:35 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is weird, I'm re-watching TUF 5 and the coaches are BJ/Pulver. Just yesterday I was thinking about Jens and I knew he got KO'd in his last fight but I wasn't sure if he had retired or not.

Guess that clears that up. Thanks UG Blog! Phone Post
8/29/12 2:47 AM
mwmhong
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jumbocrunch - He's a nice dude and all, but the guy needs to get a facking clue. Phone Post
Fighting is all he knows Phone Post
8/29/12 5:10 AM
Soup Nazi
1412 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's the man
8/29/12 5:44 AM
soldave
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know he was tko'd twice in 2011 but he doesn't have a massive list of stoppage losses. Of course safety is best but there a lots of people with worse records than Jens

8/29/12 5:50 AM
Ray Elbe
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have Jens Beating Erik Kelly this weekend Phone Post
8/29/12 10:41 AM
chaplinshouse
775 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay -  This is weird, I'm re-watching TUF 5 and the coaches are BJ/Pulver. Just yesterday I was thinking about Jens and I knew he got KO'd in his last fight but I wasn't sure if he had retired or not.

Guess that clears that up. Thanks UG Blog! Phone Post

best tuf (5) ever imo
8/29/12 12:33 PM
TLM378
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kostakio -  Pulver: I'll stop when I'm dead.
God: Okay.
Pulver: What do you mean? Phone Post

I just laughed hysterically out loud reading this at work.
8/29/12 3:27 PM
Jaybrone
471 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the most down to earth and genuine dudes around. Not just in the MMA world but anywhere. If you haven't watched Driven its on Netflix and well worth the watch.
8/30/12 9:13 PM
Posty Magee
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DojoJay - This is the Jens I'll always remember, no matter what. First impressions are always the most lasting...

Check out the hottie at 3:14-3:16

WAR JENS!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.