UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The fighter Anderson Silva didn't try to finish

8/30/12 9:48 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
913 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has failed to finish his opponent in only two UFC fights. At UFC 112 he spent five rounds toying with Demain Maia, while taunting him with terms like "playboy" (it's a long story).

The other was at UFC 97 in 2009, which also went the full five rounds.

In an interview with Benjamin Back of the Brazilian newspaper O Lance (The Lance), Silva was asked if he had ever held off finishing an opponent to keep a PPV going longer.

“There’s no such thing as holding back" replied Silva. "I want to finish as soon as possible. The only time I did it was because he was a friend of mine. It was against Thales Leites. We went until the last round because he’s a friend of mine and I respect him."

Curiously, in an Brazlian Portuguese language interview with Leites by Tatame today, he denied that they are friends.

"First, I want to say that Anderson never attended the New Union, never seen him there, we were never friends or acquaintances besides our profession" said Leites. "No doubt he is a great fighter. If he says he feels he went easy on me because he is my 'friend', I disagree.

"I was heavily criticized after the fight with Anderson, I really should have tried to fight more and take more chances, but the other opponents who came after me did not do much better. Those who tried to standup exposed themselves, eventually they got knocked out.

"I find it funny that a champion in his interviews who always preaches respect for others and the martial arts would give such a statement. I am a fighter always, I know what a fighter does and has to do to get up there. We all have good and bad times in our careers, after all, life is a true giant wheel, being on top, middle or bottom should always keep us humble and keep us quiet. There is no super man, we are all human beings."

8/30/12 9:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
slugshot331
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting Phone Post
8/30/12 10:02 AM
youarewhatiswrong
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The verbage is confused there. It sounds to me that he didnt finish leites because he "liked" him, that doesnt sound like respect. Sounds like he didnt finish maia because he didnt know how to, that sounds more like respect to me.
8/30/12 10:03 AM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very Interesting....

8/30/12 10:17 AM
Kostakio
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman will avenge us! Phone Post
8/30/12 10:42 AM
chaplinshouse
650 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ok so..... he still won't fight bones because bones is a "friend"?  he admits here he fights friends.  he can't be that close with bones.  whatever
8/30/12 10:51 AM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/30/12 11:05 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leites seemed scared to death to engage with him Phone Post
8/30/12 11:06 AM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome picture!
8/30/12 11:53 AM
TheFlyingGentlemen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EatMyRashGuard - Glad to hear he "respects" an opponent that he is being paid to fight more than the fans who pays his bills. Oh well...guess that's the reason he was never really a mega draw and needed guys like Chuck or BJ on a card to insure a truly successful PPV.
How does the fans pay his bills Phone Post
8/30/12 11:57 AM
TheRaider
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know friends shouldn't fight each other. Let this serve as one example why.
8/30/12 12:09 PM
Jewellio

Demian Maia???? Phone Post
8/30/12 12:23 PM
cool hand Ed
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Anderson. I was there. Waste of a main event.
8/30/12 1:04 PM
nightkap
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zedlepln -
Great pic! Phone Post
8/30/12 1:12 PM
MachidasBrew 209TT

Best flow chart EVERR Phone Post
8/30/12 1:15 PM
UGCTT_LnPninja

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Leites seemed scared to death to engage with him Phone Post

So did Maia.

As they should be. Niether is a master of striking...(Maia has improved ALOT since then though)
8/30/12 1:16 PM
UGCTT_LnPninja

KingofBJJ - I fail to see the reason for this thread.

The UG Blog regularly makes threads they know will stir the pot and get people talking shit about amazing fighters. They are the ultimate troll, as shown by the VTFD count.
8/30/12 2:02 PM
NinjaStar
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Flow chart is amazing.

Anderson is a true martial artist. He essentially will only return as much punishment on the opponent as they try to impose on him. Forrest and Leben went right at him so they were threatening his safety, consequently he returned in kind and they were laid out.

But if you don't aggressively try to attack him like Cote, Thales, and Maia did, he will just dance around. That streak of fights was the lowest point of his title reign.

8/30/12 2:10 PM
Entreri

Anderson definitely has style. His dancing is great.

Pride entrance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tyc3Zjp25g
8/30/12 2:12 PM
ABE FROMAN
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_LnPninja - 
KingofBJJ - I fail to see the reason for this thread.

The UG Blog regularly makes threads they know will stir the pot and get people talking shit about amazing fighters. They are the ultimate troll, as shown by the VTFD count.

+1

8/30/12 2:16 PM
Dougie
698 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nightkap - 
zedlepln -
Great pic! Phone Post

8/30/12 2:27 PM
Leck Brosnar

Jewellio -  Demian Maia???? Phone Post

Add that to the list. Andy doesn't finish friends or playboys
8/30/12 2:27 PM
disbeliever
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
I give Maia every props in the world and respect. He went in there COMPLETELY out classed on the feet, with no hope of wrestling Anderson down to use his BJJ. Despite taking some hard shots the man kept actively trying to attack Anderson and even in some cases landed good shots on him.
8/30/12 2:43 PM
SQUEEZIE

UGCTT_LnPninja - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Leites seemed scared to death to engage with him Phone Post

So did Maia.

As they should be. Niether is a master of striking...(Maia has improved ALOT since then though)

maybe to much...he thinks he is a striker or some shit meow. got napo syndrome.
8/30/12 2:47 PM
Soul Gravy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess it depends on what kind of shorts you're wearing, and whether or not he can grab them.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.