UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Who were the best Ancient Warriors OG?

8/30/12 11:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lord Nitemare
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/10/13 8:10 PM

Knights Templar? Spartans? Roman Calvary? The Huns? Who do you think OG?

EDIT: 3/9/13 THE THREAD COVERS NOT ONLY ANCIENT WARFARE BUT MODERN WARFARE AS WELL

8/30/12 11:11 PM
Lord Nitemare
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Eh, his fellow peers wouldn't have let him into Knighthood to begin with.
8/30/12 11:17 PM
Mas Tisu
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those filipino dudes that killed Magellan were pretty badass
8/30/12 11:21 PM
Lord Nitemare

^ care to explain?
8/30/12 11:29 PM
PeterIrl
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Loge -  The Spartans by a mile. They were raised in a true warrior society, with strict military discipline, and trained to be stone cold killers from the tender age of 7. They had the best of both worlds. In addition to their physical prowess they were trained in the most effective tactics and strategy of the day and equipped with the some of the best weaponry as well. Phone Post

The 300 is not a documentary, just sayin...
8/30/12 11:33 PM
Lord Nitemare

PeterIrl - 
The Loge -  The Spartans by a mile. They were raised in a true warrior society, with strict military discipline, and trained to be stone cold killers from the tender age of 7. They had the best of both worlds. In addition to their physical prowess they were trained in the most effective tactics and strategy of the day and equipped with the some of the best weaponry as well. Phone Post

Read Gates of Fire, no disrespect Loge - Spartans were great but they could be beaten. Tough? Damn tough, tough as they come. Skilled? Incredibly skilled. Determined? To the bone. But I disagree, I just don't think they are the "best". One of the best? Definitely.

Speaking of which, does anyone know which Barbarian tribe was considerd to be the best?
8/30/12 11:34 PM
Lord Nitemare

^ the Agoge very well might be the hardest training of any military force ever assembled btw. There's no arguing that.

Oh, and Molon Labe :)
8/30/12 11:34 PM
camal
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Persians Phone Post
8/30/12 11:35 PM
anthonyMI
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...and also got their shit pushed in by Thebes.
8/30/12 11:38 PM
Lord Nitemare

camal -  Persians Phone Post

The Immortals?

Who put their name to the test?!
PeterIrl
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Loge - 
PeterIrl -

You're absolutely right. In addition to documentaries and action movies there exist these marvelous things known as "books" you should give one a shot! Phone Post

I have, which is why I don't buy into the whole "The Spartans were the bestest ever" thing.
Honald_Heagan

The Athenian Navy. Phone Post
8/30/12 11:41 PM
Lord Nitemare

Honald_Heagan -  The Athenian Navy. Phone Post

Damn good Navy...kinda' liked penis...a little too much, but still a Damn Ghey, I mean good Navy.
8/30/12 11:50 PM
Lord Nitemare

The Loge - 
Lord Nitemare - ^ the Agoge very well might be the hardest training of any military force ever assembled btw. There's no arguing that.

Oh, and Molon Labe :)
This we can agree on! Phone Post

Yeah, definitely.

Personally, it's hard to say who was the "best", it's like arguing about which SoF is the "best" DevGru/CAG/SAD etc etc. I think it's safe to say that there is an elite tier of warriors (Ancient warriors bear in mind) and the Spartans are definitely in that top 5, in my opinion at least.

Do you know anything about Barbarian warriors? You know Celts, Huns, Visigoths etc etc
8/30/12 11:54 PM
PeterIrl

The Loge - 
PeterIrl -
The Loge - 
PeterIrl -

You're absolutely right. In addition to documentaries and action movies there exist these marvelous things known as "books" you should give one a shot! Phone Post

I have, which is why I don't buy into the whole "The Spartans were the bestest ever" thing.
I'd love to hear your opinion on who were "the bestest!" Phone Post

I bet you would, you young rapscallion, but the problem is that each of the great warrior peoples fought in different theatres, on different terrain against different enemies, with different levels of technology and in many cases on different continents. There are too many variables to say with any accuracy who were "the bestest" so at the end of the day it comes down to which of these people you(the individual) identifies with the most(est).
8/30/12 11:55 PM
Ham and Egger
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone know the name of the German shock troops that wore brightly colored clothing and attacked pike walls?
8/30/12 11:56 PM
slam1523
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carthaginian war elephant Phone Post
8/30/12 11:58 PM
frostyturd
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For their time, the samurai. The combination of the training, discipline, and dedication was unequaled. Phone Post
8/31/12 12:00 AM
Lord Nitemare

PeterIrl - 
The Loge - 
PeterIrl -
The Loge - 
PeterIrl -

I'd love to hear your opinion on who were "the bestest!" Phone Post

I bet you would, you young rapscallion, but the problem is that each of the great warrior peoples fought in different theatres, on different terrain against different enemies, with different levels of technology and in many cases on different continents. There are too many variables to say with any accuracy who were "the bestest" so at the end of the day it comes down to which of these people you(the individual) identifies with the most(est).

As I said earlier, I should have been more specific when mentioning who 'were' the best Ancient warriors instead of 'was'. It's like Arguing who's better CAG or DevGru - there are so many different variables for one to deem a certain class of Warrior to be the best.

In other words, there should be a list - of five to ten, in no particular order.And those five/ten would be who we deem the "most elite" or rather "most effective" Ancient Warriors.

As of right now, I think it's safe to say we have 1 - that being the Spartan Army.
8/31/12 12:01 AM
Honald_Heagan

slam1523 - Carthaginian war elephant Phone Post
Great fighting force, but despite their successes, they were defeated by the Roman Legions. Phone Post
8/31/12 12:04 AM
Lord Nitemare

Ham and Egger - Does anyone know the name of the German shock troops that wore brightly colored clothing and attacked pike walls?

No, but those creepy little fuckers would use Germanic tribesmen all the time.

Someone told me once they recruited, more like enslaved a group of Germanic tribesmen, and then they trained them to be combat swimmers kinda' like SEALs. So they tell this unit to swim across a river with a couple of engineers so they can build a bridge so everyone else could cross. The Group agrees and they make it across the river, as soon as they cross the river they flip them off and run away. The Romans eventually left but the tribesmen stayed...and that was how Holland came to be. Those crazy fuckers, when you think of Bas Rutten - you could totally see his ancestors doing some crazy shit like that...

8/31/12 12:06 AM
Honald_Heagan

The Macedonian force developed under Phillip II and perfected by Alexander should be near the top of the list. Phone Post
8/31/12 12:06 AM
Lord Nitemare

frostyturd -  For their time, the samurai. The combination of the training, discipline, and dedication was unequaled. Phone Post

Oh there's no doubt there one of the best. You'd have to be crazy to argue otherwise.
8/31/12 12:07 AM
Lautreamont
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Roman legions are definitely up there.  Very tough, very disciplined, and extremely successful...
8/31/12 12:10 AM
Lord Nitemare

Saying that you know about the Hellenistic period, I'm assuming you're familiar with Alexander the Great.

And if you are, obviously his Army isone of the best ever assembled - p4p one of the best Armies of all time, but did he have an Elite force or corps? For example, the Roman Empire had elite Recon troops as well as Cavalry units.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.