UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Who were the best Ancient Warriors OG?

3/14/13 9:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Odinson
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare -

Y'all be trollin'...lol at weak men 

Those are just slaves like the rest of us. They don't run the world. Phone Post
3/14/13 9:17 AM
Odinson
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am going to make one of those bows. Should be cool. Phone Post
3/14/13 9:47 AM
Lord Nitemare
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck this bullshit, this thread ain't about gayness - take it somewhere else.

...on another note, does anybody know anything about Alexander's Cavalry.

3/14/13 10:01 AM
Odinson

I do not. But Alexander's armies conquered through cunning mostly, correct? considering his army was largely made up of new people he recruited as he conquered. I am may be wrong.
3/14/13 10:19 AM
5 o clock shadow
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Japan was "conquered," but it was before Japan actually became "Japan." A 3rd Century Chinese document describes Japan (then known as "Wa") as a place without iron technology, where people transported goods on sleds pulled by dogs. By the 4th century the Japanese archeological record changes dramatically. Suddenly, giant key-shaped tombs appear filled with steel weapons, armor, and horse-riding gear.

According to some Japanese nationalist historians, Japan mastered iron technology, armor making, and horse-riding in 100 years time, creating an empire.

Meanwhile, over in Corea / Manchuria, a proto-Corean group, the Baekche begins conquest of the southwest region of the peninsula. The area is riddled with islands, making seafaring a prerequisite to seizing control of the area. The natural currents from the southwest of Corea takes you directly to the Yamato plain -the heart of ancient Japanese power.

When Baekche fell in 664, countless people fled to Japan. The Japanese nation coalesces right around 700AD. Excavation of Japanese imperial tombs will undoubtedly show that the Baekche people founded Japan. Not surprisingly, those tombs are permanently sealed from excavation.

No one knows exactly how tough the Samurai were or were not. The only time they fought foreign armies en-mass was during the Imjin War (1592). They invaded a Corea that suppressed military development (as "Confucian gentleman" they saw themselves above such things as warfare, in addition they agreed to tone down their former aggressive military posture as a demonstration of loyalty to the Ming and in order to broker peace with the Jurchen).

Not surprisingly, the samurai kicked the holy hell out of those Coreans, but there were several battles where the Coreans showed their mettle. The samurai did well against the Ming forces and the Jurchen they encountered. However, I would say that tactically, they possessed the same short-comings as Europeans. They championed individual valor and sacrifice in combat to the point where it interfered with group tactics.

I'd take the Mongols over the samurai any day of the week. I also like the Goguryo army over the samurai as well. They defeated the Sui's million man army (bigger than anything the ancient world had ever seen), sending it back with approximately 30,000 survivors.

fos
3/14/13 11:25 AM
HULC
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BadMon - 

head to head Mongol hordes owns the vikings, romans(sad to say) and the knights.

Not even close.  Mongols arrows covered 3 times the distance of an English bow and arrow.  Their horseman are also much more agile as they do not wear armour.  This completes their strategy of hit and run.

Their strategy is unbeatable in the open terrain.  It's one of Lyoto Machida and Muhammad Ali uses..... distance counter-striking.  

No chance whatsoever the Mongol bow could shoot 3 times further than the English longbow, it's extremely doubtful whether it could shoot any further whatsoever.

Moreover the Mongol weapons and tactics were adapted for the steppes. In wet or humid environments composite bows come apart and are inferior to self bows, which is why North Europeans such as the English preferred longbows. Also in heavily wooded or mountainous areas, or in areas requiring naval movement, the Mongols lost their advantages completely.

In fact in terms of flexibility, in beign able to adapt themselves successfully to all different theatres, i think the Romans leave everyone else behind.
3/14/13 11:36 AM
Lord Nitemare
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ great post. Voted up.

if someone could post some cool shit about the legions Id appreciate it.

3/14/13 11:38 AM
Lord Nitemare

Odinson - 
Lord Nitemare -

Just saw this, have to address it. Stop trolling dude, it's fucking annoying.

...and lulz at them being slaves, that's the apex of the warrior culture you douche.

3/14/13 12:05 PM
Odinson

Lord Nitemare - 
Odinson - 
Lord Nitemare -

...and lulz at them being slaves, that's the apex of the warrior culture you douche.

Differing opinion = trolling gotcha

they are out there doing that to protect their families? or are they out securing someone else's riches? I see slaves you can see what you want brotha.
3/14/13 12:19 PM
Lord Nitemare

I'm done, I'm not getting trolled fuck this shit,

3/14/13 1:33 PM
lars_schifinkter
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well this thread took a turn for the worse.
3/14/13 1:43 PM
Lord Nitemare

^ sorry about that, didnt appreciate the gay comments,

3/14/13 2:23 PM
anthonyMI
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/14/13 2:27 PM
With all the Mongol talk, it is worth pointing out that the skills of Mongolian soldiery are still the three traditional sports of Mongolia: archery, horse racing, and wrestling. Seeing a Naadam, the festival where the games are played, is on the list of things I have to do before I die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdwoBzFoEzw

Also, for such a sparsely populated and poor country they are still well represented in grappling competitions. They will usually pick up a few medals every Olympics between Wrestling, Judo, Boxing, and Shooting.
3/14/13 2:24 PM
Lord Nitemare

Anthony, what do you know about the Roman legions? 

3/14/13 2:36 PM
lars_schifinkter
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nitemare:

Alexander's Companion Cavalry was considered the premier horse back unit of the ancient world. It was also probably the first implementation of a shock cavalry in history. They had the best horses and weapons of the time and were heavily armoured. They often attacked in a wedge formation. Interestingly, they had no shields. They were lance men and had a curved slashing weapon as a secondary tool.

Alexander was also very impressed by the war elephants he encountered in Persia and co-opted them into his war machine. He used them to create disarray and panic in the enemy front lines with devastating head on charges.

And they had NO STIRRUPS! :)

Did you enjoy the documentary?

Here's a few more for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQYigCUcZjg - THE HUNS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhNO-dJNhWQ - Alexander the Great National Geographic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A06LUlZFnjs - Julius Ceasar's Greatest Battles
3/14/13 2:40 PM
lars_schifinkter

Lord Nitemare - 

^ sorry about that, didnt appreciate the gay comments,

Not your fault and voted up bro.

NERD LOVE
3/14/13 2:44 PM
Lord Nitemare

lars_schifinkter - Nitemare:

Alexander's Companion Cavalry was considered the premier horse back unit of the ancient world. It was also probably the first implementation of a shock cavalry in history. They had the best horses and weapons of the time and were heavily armoured. They often attacked in a wedge formation. Interestingly, they had no shields. They were lance men and had a curved slashing weapon as a secondary tool.

Alexander was also very impressed by the war elephants he encountered in Persia and co-opted them into his war machine. He used them to create disarray and panic in the enemy front lines with devastating head on charges.

And they had NO STIRRUPS! :)

Did you enjoy the documentary?

Here's a few more for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQYigCUcZjg - THE HUNS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhNO-dJNhWQ - Alexander the Great National Geographic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A06LUlZFnjs - Julius Ceasar's Greatest Battles

Thanks for the documentaries, Im definitely checking them all out later.I've always been fascinated by his Cavalry, they were the elite of the Macedonian military...what I thought was awesome is how he actually led his Cavalry into combat. Obviously he is the greatest military mind of all time, but is there any testament to his skill in combat?

Was Hannibal influenced by Alexander's use of elephants?

3/14/13 2:53 PM
lars_schifinkter

If you watch the doc, it states he was a respected warrior at 14, and a general before he was 20, similar to my BFF Genghis. He was raised by a warrior father and probably received the best training available, and definitely the best armour and weaponry. You can't survive that many pitched battles, even with a large bodyguard, without being an elite warrior.

Alexander wasn't just a great military mind, he was an all time mental great period. He spent his childhood mentored by Aristotle and made many a great monument of culture and technology. That's the difference between him and the Khan in my mind.

I'm sure Hannibal was influenced by Alexander's war elephants, but the Carthaginians were also just using a resource that was both abundant and effective at the time.
3/14/13 2:55 PM
Lord Nitemare

lars_schifinkter - If you watch the doc, it states he was a respected warrior at 14, and a general before he was 20, similar to my BFF Genghis. He was raised by a warrior father and probably received the best training available, and definitely the best armour and weaponry. You can't survive that many pitched battles, even with a large bodyguard, without being an elite warrior.

Alexander wasn't just a great military mind, he was an all time mental great period. He spent his childhood mentored by Aristotle and made many a great monument of culture and technology. That's the difference between him and the Khan in my mind.

I'm sure Hannibal was influenced by Alexander's war elephants, but the Carthaginians were also just using a resource that was both abundant and effective at the time.

Great post

This may be a retarted question, so bare with me, but was Alexander a fag?

3/14/13 3:02 PM
18Doc
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare -
Odinson - 
Lord Nitemare -

SOF is the culmination of all western warrior societies and all known military history. I work in that world with some of the baddest mother fuckers on the planet. Fucking clown. Odinson my ass. Phone Post
Lord Nitemare

lars_schifinkter

LOL, he probably had a few homo encounters in his lifetime, especially as a child but the Greeks had a... strange view of celebrating human beauty to some.

He also slayed more pussy than this whole board minus Retard.
3/14/13 3:04 PM
Lord Nitemare

18Doc - 
Lord Nitemare -
Odinson - 
Lord Nitemare -

SOF is the culmination of all western warrior societies and all known military history. I work in that world with some of the baddest mother fuckers on the planet. Fucking clown. Odinson my ass. Phone Post

Dude, you're the fucking man. 

3/14/13 3:16 PM
Lord Nitemare

BadMon - 
lars_schifinkter - LOL, he probably had a few homo encounters in his lifetime, especially as a child but the Greeks had a... strange view of celebrating human beauty to some.

He also slayed more pussy than this whole board minus Retard.

you can conquer the world

but just suck 1 dick.........

Depends on how big the dick is

3/14/13 3:34 PM
anthonyMI
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Anthony, what do you know about the Roman legions? "

Quite a bit, anything specific?

The Roman Republic then Empire lasted a long time and they changed a lot over the centuries. What people usually think of was the army that came around after the Marian reforms and lasted through the early imperial era.

The legion was all-citizen, largely a volunteer force except in case of emergencies, was well-paid, and had enlistment terms of 25 years. Each legion consisted of a bit over 5000 men divided into 10 cohorts. The first cohort would be larger than the others and would consist of more veteran soldiers. Most of their time was spent less on fighting and more on building Rome's massive public works projects like roads. After retiring, legionaries would often be used to colonize parts of the Empire to make them more Roman. York is an example of a town that used to be a veteran's colony.

Legion would typically be supported by Auxilia units of non-citizens. Certain regions were known for supplying types of Auxiliaries, such as light cavalry from Numidia and archers from Syria. Upon completion of service, Auxiliaries were granted citizenship.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.