UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Who were the best Ancient Warriors OG?

8/31/12 12:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
anthonyMI
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The elite of Alexander's army was the Companion Cavalry. They were the earliest use of shock cavalry, which was a huge deal in the time before the invention of the stirrup.
8/31/12 12:15 AM
Lord Nitemare
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Loge - 
Ham and Egger - Does anyone know the name of the German shock troops that wore brightly colored clothing and attacked pike walls?
Berserkers I believe, but I could be mistaken. Phone Post

Berserkers were the bastards of Norsemen, Vikings. They were viewed as almost second class citizens within their cultures, not many people bothered with them at all - literally they were left the fuck alone. But not because they were weird or some shit, it was because the other Vikings were fearful of them to a fault. A beserker traditionally would strip down to a loin cloth or more often than not naked. They'd paint themselves, out on a bear skin and grab a bastard sword (long sword whatever you prefer), get high on mushrooms and proceed to fuck shit up....really badly. There are stories of how Vikings would stay far behind the Beserkers fearful of their own lives, of how they would clear bridges by themselves, storm through castles etc, etc.

Yeah, long story short - these dudes were fucking Savages. Super bad ass. If you've seen 13th Warrior, it's a pretty decent representation of them.
8/31/12 12:17 AM
Lord Nitemare
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anthonyMI - The elite of Alexander's army was the Companion Cavalry. They were the earliest use of shock cavalry, which was a huge deal in the time before the invention of the stirrup.

Was their any type of selection? Specialized training for them? I understand it is Cavalry, bue was it a sought after position?

For example, the Spartans had Skirite Rangers - literally like early SOF - but the natives preferred Heavy infantry.
8/31/12 12:25 AM
anthonyMI
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The biggest part of the selection was probably just the cost of maintaining a horse, armor, and weapons. They were nobles and the best of them were Alexander's personal guard. They weren't known for being individually super-badass, but because of how they were used as a unit.
8/31/12 12:31 AM
Ham and Egger
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How about Huscarls? Elite, well trained, battle hardened, best equipment available.
8/31/12 12:38 AM
anthonyMI

A Huscarl was a generic term for a household soldier. The quality varied widely.
8/31/12 12:45 AM
Lord Nitemare

anthonyMI - A Huscarl was a generic term for a household soldier. The quality varied widely.

From what I understand, the Beserkers were the Viking's "elite".

Although, I swear there is another Viking band of Warriors - super badass, just can't remember their names. Thnk the ancient version of the Expendables, they were mercenaries btw.
8/31/12 12:54 AM
PeterIrl
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay, I know this is childish as fuck but I couldn't resist:

8/31/12 12:56 AM
Ham and Egger
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anthonyMI - A Huscarl was a generic term for a household soldier. The quality varied widely.
From my understanding they were generally the only soldiers by profession in the area at the time. they could only be retained by the noble class and if they did not maintain a degree of excellence they would be released from service. I'll have to do some research when i get to my comp. Phone Post
8/31/12 9:07 AM
Lord Nitemare

Anyone know anything about Knights? Templars, Hospitallers?
8/31/12 9:31 AM
Lord Nitemare

No one?
8/31/12 9:33 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Samurai. Kill u with sword or throw and choke u. Phone Post
8/31/12 9:38 AM
Ogami Itto
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spartans!!
8/31/12 9:45 AM
Lord Nitemare

Ogami Itto - Spartans!!

Yep, we established the Spartans as one of the best warriors out there - ^ as well as the Samurai and the Viking Beserkers. But, we still need to talk about Knights - Norman Knights, Hospitallers, Templars et, etc.
8/31/12 9:46 AM
funk samurai

The Romans created the war machine
8/31/12 9:51 AM
Last of theTenors

Lord Nitemare - 
anthonyMI - A Huscarl was a generic term for a household soldier. The quality varied widely.

Although, I swear there is another Viking band of Warriors - super badass, just can't remember their names. Thnk the ancient version of the Expendables, they were mercenaries btw.

Varangians?
8/31/12 9:55 AM
Machine250
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If only there was a horribly developed, cheesey tv show with annoying experts that would address this topic.........

If only....
8/31/12 9:57 AM
Lord Nitemare

Machine250 - If only there was a horribly developed, cheesey tv show with annoying experts that would address this topic.........

If only....

Its a fun show don't get me wrong, but the vast majority of it is fucking retarted.

It's just a discussion anyway
8/31/12 9:59 AM
Lord Nitemare

Last of theTenors - 
Lord Nitemare - 

Varangians?

Oooh fuck yeah dude.

Shit, it's amazing all the warrior cultures that came from the Vikings, Varangians, Normans, a number of Celtic tribes.

Really interesting when you think about it.
8/31/12 10:12 AM
HernanCortes
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dem Mongols: conquer everyone in Site Phone Post
8/31/12 10:22 AM
Lord Nitemare

HernanCortes -  Dem Mongols: conquer everyone in Site Phone Post

Shit, got Tatar blood in me - Khan was a fucking bad ass.
8/31/12 11:38 AM
Lord Nitemare

Bump
8/31/12 11:53 AM
Eggbert
679 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You realize that all ancient warriors sucked or they would still be around today.

Whoah mindf@ck!!!! Phone Post
8/31/12 11:56 AM
sawdusk
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

funk samurai - The Romans created the war machine

it would be foolish not to put the roman military might up there... they had their ass handed to them on many occasions, but ultimately they'd win and usually against overwhelming odds...

their ingenuity, in-exhaustive will, and discipline were as great as any military power ever... if it wasn't for all their civil wars, they may still be in power...

other than them, I'd say the mongrels were equally formidable in their own style of warfare...
8/31/12 12:06 PM
enbanc

As an overall fighting force, without a doubt, the Romans. They manifested human greatness from the Scottish Highlands through the craven coasts of Africa, from the foul barbaric forests of Germania through the Far East. One-on-one, there were probably many other warriors who could best a standard Roman soldier, even at the Empire's height. But as an overall military force, they were indomitable. Weep now, weep for the loss of light; weep for our falling into the darkness.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.