UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Who were the best Ancient Warriors OG?

3/15/13 7:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lord Nitemare
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude, we get it - you like the Mongols. They were great, but far from the best - as I said before, there is no clearly defined 'best'. 

I thought we were talking about Alexander anyway?

3/15/13 7:14 PM
lars_schifinkter
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mongols fought in the 12th, 13th and 14th centuries they had a bit of technological advantage, not really fair fight because of that IMO.
3/15/13 7:58 PM
Kinkle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare -

Dude, we get it - you like the Mongols. They were great, but far from the best - as I said before, there is no clearly defined 'best'. 

I thought we were talking about Alexander anyway?

Mongols are clearly the greatest pre-firearm military force ever. That is indisputable. You can argue second place all you want, but there really is no debate on who is first. Phone Post
3/15/13 11:11 PM
MickColins
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/15/13 11:12 PM

Badmon, I'm a huge fan of the Mongols. I took classes on Mongolia, the Asian Steppes,etc.. They were awesome but they weren't unbeatable. The fellow up there had a point about the Mongolian compound bow. While it was a marvel of engineering, it did have some problems based on the fact that the glue used to put it together was based on animal fat/connective tissue. When humidity is high or there is a lot of rain,etc... the glue loses it stick and the bow can come apart. 

" Albanians claim Alexander as their own - that's not true is it? If it is, my respect will cease to exist."

Alexader's mom, Olympias, was from Epirus. Epirus was a region on what is the modern border area between Greece and Albania. The people of classical Epirus would have thought of themselves as Greek. Modern Albanians can claim him that way but he would have viewed himself as a Greek. Same way modern Macedonia isn't classical Macedonia and they claim him anyway. I read a story a few years ago about how modern Turkey claims Anatolian Greeks as "Turkish"(like St.Nick, aka Santa Claus.). But an Anatolian Greek spoke Greek,had Greek culture and wouldn't have fuckall in common with the modern inhabitants of Turkey.

"Correct but people here are arguing that Alexander and the Roman Legions would defeat the Mongols."

I don't think anyone is arguing that. There's a good 1,000 years of advancement between those groups.

3/16/13 1:07 AM
MickColins
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I skimmed that blog but this stood out: "How credible are such estimates? It is certainly plausible if we take the contemporary chroniclers such as Ibn al-Athir and Al-Nasawi at face value."

You never,ever take medieval and ancient chroniclers for their bodycounts/troop counts at face level. They always exaggerate.  The person writing this blog is such a fanboy that they take shit like that "at face value?" Please. You piss away your position.

3/16/13 1:19 AM
OG1 Kenobi_BFTT
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mongols. Hands down Phone Post
3/16/13 1:41 AM
Ceelo
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amazons.
3/16/13 1:43 AM
Kinkle

Fearless Winker -

Why do you have an intimate knowledge of what is posted on stormfront? are you a white nationalist?

Stormfront is definitely interesting to read sometimes Phone Post
3/16/13 7:37 AM
Lord Nitemare
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bump....for Alexander and his Army

3/16/13 10:34 AM
Lord Nitemare

Nobody?

3/16/13 11:22 AM
DKielbasa

The Celts

3/16/13 11:44 AM
Ceelo
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.fscclub.com/stories/images/last-amazon.jpg
3/16/13 11:45 AM
Lord Nitemare

DKielbasa - 

The Celts

Ironically enough, nobody has even mentioned them yet

3/16/13 1:12 PM
MickColins

The Celts are interesting. I made the comment earlier that, before and after Temujin, organizing the Mongols was like herding cats. Organizing Celts was like herding cats with ADD. On a per man basis, they were excellent fighters. They just resisted any sort of organization, fucked each other over at the drop of a hat, constantly got screwed over by Rome, etc... The Romans and Greeks both were scared of them and frequently mention how much larger they were. Which we know now was because of their diet. They drank a lot of milk and ate a lot of meat. They also were, for a time, technologically better than Rome or the Greeks at metalworking and design,horsemanship and some other stuff. Its interesting to think how different the world would be if they had an Alexander, a Scipio, a Hannibal, a Temujin,etc... but they never did. The closest they had was Brennus and Vercingetorix. And Brennus was a raid leader and Verci was behind the 8-Ball by the time he had an army big enough to matter. The Romans were smaller and less numerous but they were more organized and smarter so they end up basically destroying the Celts.

A mark of their personal skill is how they have basically been used as auxillary/merceary troops from the time of the Greeks to, basically, their descendants today(depending if you count certain PMCs). You can find Celtic-lineage mercenary groups in the armies of famous generals from Scipio to Napoleon and beyond.

3/16/13 1:35 PM
Lord Nitemare

MickColins - 

The Celts are interesting. I made the comment earlier that, before and after Temujin, organizing the Mongols was like herding cats. Organizing Celts was like herding cats with ADD. On a per man basis, they were excellent fighters. They just resisted any sort of organization, fucked each other over at the drop of a hat, constantly got screwed over by Rome, etc... The Romans and Greeks both were scared of them and frequently mention how much larger they were. Which we know now was because of their diet. They drank a lot of milk and ate a lot of meat. They also were, for a time, technologically better than Rome or the Greeks at metalworking and design,horsemanship and some other stuff. Its interesting to think how different the world would be if they had an Alexander, a Scipio, a Hannibal, a Temujin,etc... but they never did. The closest they had was Brennus and Vercingetorix. And Brennus was a raid leader and Verci was behind the 8-Ball by the time he had an army big enough to matter. The Romans were smaller and less numerous but they were more organized and smarter so they end up basically destroying the Celts.

A mark of their personal skill is how they have basically been used as auxillary/merceary troops from the time of the Greeks to, basically, their descendants today(depending if you count certain PMCs). You can find Celtic-lineage mercenary groups in the armies of famous generals from Scipio to Napoleon and beyond.

Didnt they average at around 6'0, 180 lbs or something like that? I do know that the Romans weren't exactly, ideal athletes so to speak....they were short as fuck from what i understand.

Vercingetorix was a bad motherfucker...if only he didnt shit the bed at Alesia.

You mentioned that they were feared by thr Romans/Greeks in regards to their fighting ability, can you explain? In a 1 on 1 fight, would a Celt thrash a Hoplite/Legionnaire? And how were the Celts viewed in their eyes, were they legitimately scared of them? Or did they view them the same way they viewed Germans, Egyptians?

...and please explain Brennus, I'm not familiar with the name. Can he be considered to be their greatest warrior? If not, who would be?

again great post, voted up.

3/16/13 3:47 PM
Lord Nitemare

Bump

3/16/13 10:26 PM
Kevin bacon

Edited: 03/17/13 7:56 AM
To the people who are still debating: Who would you rather be be facing alone in the dark? Do you really think anybody, ever, would match the ferocious violence of a berserker. The definition of going berserk.

No one. NOT ONE ARMY, would want to face these guys if they could pick or choose this opponent. Absolute mayhem. Warriors who lost their virginity killing bears, naked the arctic circle. Bread to survive in the darkest wilderness man has ever seen. Men who has tasted the blood of their enemies since child. Men who feed on their own anger, pain and fear. Men who would cut down their own just to see fear in the eyes of those foolish enough to challenge them. Men who can wear armor, but choose not to, so that they feel the warm blood of their opponents.

Never has anyone been feared like the berserkers from the dark cold wild. Only the most foolish would choose these men as their opponent when the lights are off.
3/17/13 7:54 AM
Kevin bacon

what? The little brown fishermen? lol
3/17/13 2:49 PM
Lord Nitemare

Mick, you there?

3/17/13 6:11 PM
Lord Nitemare

Thought it was kinda' cool, considered to be the best depiction of Alexander

3/18/13 3:33 PM
Lord Nitemare

Ceelo - Amazons.

A bunch of bull dykes? Fuck outta here, although I'm more willing to accept them than those Theban pillow biters.

3/20/13 3:00 PM
Lord Nitemare

Well, off to eat my ever present bag 'o dicks.

3/21/13 7:34 AM
Lord Nitemare

BadMon, we get it, you like the Mongols...but you arguing that they are the greatest warriors of all time, is a tad annoying. Yes, they are a respected group of warriors and yes, they were deadly. But as I stated before, they are hardly the greatest of all time. 

3/21/13 3:32 PM
lars_schifinkter
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why not, because you stated it Lord Nitemare?
3/21/13 4:03 PM
Lord Nitemare

lars_schifinkter - Why not, because you stated it Lord Nitemare?

No, the reason being is that he is claiming superiority over units that are older than the Mongols themselves. You can't say that the Mongols would destroy the Spartans, the reason being that they were separated by 1000's of years. The gap in technology is simply too great. By his logic, I could say a ST6 Assault element backed up by a Ranger battalion would destroy any force in history.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.