UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Who were the best Ancient Warriors OG?

3/31/13 9:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BaldTony
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare - 
BaldTony - 
Lord Nitemare - 

Skimming through Chris McNab's History of US SOF - it's fantastic. I'd recommend it for any military history buff

I went to University with Chris. Top, top bloke

Really? Where'd you go? 

Needless to say, the guy is brilliant. 

Heres the link if anyone's interested:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/America’s-Elite--US-Special-Forces-from-the-American-Revolution-to-the-Present-Day_9781780962849

Aberystwyth, Wales. Long time ago. I don't often read military history books, but are they worth getting?
3/31/13 9:22 AM
Lord Nitemare
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BaldTony - 
Lord Nitemare - 
BaldTony - 
Lord Nitemare - 

Skimming through Chris McNab's History of US SOF - it's fantastic. I'd recommend it for any military history buff

I went to University with Chris. Top, top bloke

Really? Where'd you go? 

Needless to say, the guy is brilliant. 

Heres the link if anyone's interested:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/America’s-Elite--US-Special-Forces-from-the-American-Revolution-to-the-Present-Day_9781780962849

Aberystwyth, Wales. Long time ago. I don't often read military history books, but are they worth getting?

Well, you have to understand I'm going to join the military - but I am a huge military history fan. I don't really know how to explain it, it's just what I'm interested in. But with that said, even a layperson could appreciate the work the guy has done. His recent book on SOF was fantastic, and his book on thr Napoleonic wars is outstanding.

3/31/13 9:43 AM
BaldTony
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool. I'll check them out. Thanks, and good luck when you join up!
3/31/13 10:25 AM
Lord Nitemare
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ thank you

4/1/13 10:35 PM
HULC
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Triple_B - 
Lord Nitemare - 
Triple_B - 
Lord Nitemare - 

^ correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Huns were Caucasians?

They are believed to be related to the Mongols and other Central Asian peoples actually. It is theorized that they were originally part of the Xiongnu (pronounced Hung-no) Confederation, an ancient nomadic confederation (the first of its kind in the steppes) that sprawled from Central Asia to Manchuria, including parts of Siberia. Everything we know about them is from Chinese sources. Still alot of mystery surrounding them. They were the reason China began construction on The Great Wall.

Unfortunately other than the similar pronunciation and some similarities in artifacts there isn't alot of evidence linking them.

After that The Romans mention a people called the Hunnoi that settled near the Caspian Sea. Once again, no one is 100% sure that these are the same Huns of Attlia

What we know for sure is that The Huns migrated to a region east of the Volga River near the Caucasus in the 4th century AD. They crossed The Volga and subjugated The Alans soon after. It is theorized that they were forced to migrate towards Europa by The Rouran Khaganate.

Good post voted up

on another note, I have just recently been enlightened to the fact that Genghis/Temujin actually had Caucasian characteristics - those being he had red hair, green eyes, fair skin and rather tall. Can you guys provide any validity to those statements?

Some sources have described Hunnic peoples as having both red hair and green eyes. IIRC Attila was said to have red hair and fair skin, not sure about the eyes though. The same has also been said about The Xiongnu and other Central Asian peoples. You have to realize that Central Asia is very diverse racially and these people have been breeding with each other for along time. It is a large area. When you take into account all the conquering and breeding Mongols did I'm sure you would find plenty of people with the traits you mentioned. You would also find alot of people with the black hair and short noses associated with Mongols traditionally and everything in between.

In the modern day green eyes and red hair is most widely seen in the Uzbek people of Uzbekistan as far as Central Asia is concerned.

As for being tall, you have to realize that growing in a nomadic society on The Steppe means you are most likely bow legged from riding horses and you grew up wrestling. I sincerely doubt many of the ancient people that resided in steppes stood tall and upright in their day.

Before the world got all PC there were studies done on the human remains in Avar and Hun graves in Europe. The men were all of a typical central Asian type still common in Mongolia. The women were a mixed bunch, many being of the same type as the men, but many also being of a local European type.
4/2/13 1:49 PM
Lord Nitemare

Bumping this shit

4/13/13 12:44 PM
Lord Nitemare

Amazing as to how warfare evolves, this was only some hundred years ago

Modern day

5/6/13 3:48 PM
Lord Nitemare

Lord Nitemare - 

Bumping this shit

5/7/13 6:21 AM
anthonyMI
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some Special Forces fought as cavalry soldiers in the early phases of Afghanistan. There were even old-school cavalry charges.
5/7/13 6:50 AM
ColladoD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Warriors:::: Spartacus, Pompey, Generonimo Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 6:50 AM
ColladoD

Warriors::: Achilles, Hector Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 7:22 AM
Lord Nitemare

anthonyMI - Some Special Forces fought as cavalry soldiers in the early phases of Afghanistan. There were even old-school cavalry charges.

Horse Soldiers homie...

5/9/13 7:23 AM
Lord Nitemare

ColladoD - Warriors::: Achilles, Hector Phone Post 3.0

I'm not too familiar with the validity of the Iliad, last I had heard Archaeologists had actually discovered Agamemnon's tomb, is there any truth to that? 

5/9/13 7:29 AM
Lord Nitemare

Edited: 05/09/13 8:30 AM

Fuck, cant see the vid

5/9/13 8:17 AM
Billyvee
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you haven't listened to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast, you should. He did a five part series called Wrath of the Khans. It's the shit. Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 8:32 AM
Lord Nitemare

Billyvee - If you haven't listened to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast, you should. He did a five part series called Wrath of the Khans. It's the shit. Phone Post 3.0

Dan Carlin? I'll check it out, does he have anything on Antiquity? Any Peloponessian war/spartan/Alexander type shit?

5/9/13 8:34 AM
Billyvee
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare -
Billyvee - If you haven't listened to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast, you should. He did a five part series called Wrath of the Khans. It's the shit. Phone Post 3.0

Dan Carlin? I'll check it out, does he have anything on Antiquity? Any Peloponessian war/spartan/Alexander type shit?

Not sure. I just recently found out about him. He has a lot more stuff on his web site. Dancarlin.com Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 5:32 PM
Lord Nitemare

Thought some of you might be interested, the mask of Agamemnon - potentially indicating that there was some truth to the Iliad...(which means a potential Achilles)

5/10/13 12:43 PM
Lord Nitemare

Bump...

I watched Alexander, literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen 

5/10/13 4:45 PM
MickColins
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you want to learn about the Ancient Greek way of war, read victor Davis Hanson Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 5:06 PM
Lord Nitemare

MickColins - If you want to learn about the Ancient Greek way of war, read victor Davis Hanson Phone Post 3.0

Gonna look into it, I just bought Tides of War actually.

5/10/13 6:29 PM
Toki Wartooth
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has someone mentioned the Cossacks?

Badass mofos who kicked ass, took names and got drunk and fucked bitches..... all while being good Catholic boys. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 7:26 PM
David@accu

Alexander the Great's troops

or

Hanibals during the 2nd peunic war.

5/10/13 8:28 PM
Lord Nitemare

David@accu - 

Alexander the Great's troops

or

Hanibals during the 2nd peunic war.

Very respectable answers

5/12/13 9:15 PM
Lord Nitemare

Edited: 05/18/13 8:15 AM

Bump

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.