UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Who were the best Ancient Warriors OG?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/21/13 5:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lord Nitemare
656 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JJitsu - 
Lord Nitemare - 

Are there any other podcasts you'd reccomend? I heard he had one on antiquity/Greek warfare

Judgement at Nineveh is a great one, Sheild of the West is on the Spartans, Steppe Stories is about all the steppe people before the mongols.

If you want a cool ancient history podcast check out "The Ancient World" Scott Chesworth (spelling might be off)

or Podcast History of our World

Voted up, thanks for the suggestions. By any chance, being that I suffer from a severe case of being a cheap motherfucker, do you have a link to the shield of the west podcast in particular? 

What is judgement at Nineveh about? And by all means, (and it goes for everyone) if you have any interesting shit post it here - that documentary on Hannibal was cool as fuck.

5/21/13 6:02 PM
Lord Nitemare
656 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...well, I actually bought some of his older podcasts. I think I got his take on the Punic wars, Steppe stories, 1066, Shield of the West and some other shit. I'll listen to it later.

5/21/13 6:28 PM
JJitsu
511 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare - 
JJitsu - 
Lord Nitemare - 

Are there any other podcasts you'd reccomend? I heard he had one on antiquity/Greek warfare

Judgement at Nineveh is a great one, Sheild of the West is on the Spartans, Steppe Stories is about all the steppe people before the mongols.

If you want a cool ancient history podcast check out "The Ancient World" Scott Chesworth (spelling might be off)

or Podcast History of our World

Voted up, thanks for the suggestions. By any chance, being that I suffer from a severe case of being a cheap motherfucker, do you have a link to the shield of the west podcast in particular? 

What is judgement at Nineveh about? And by all means, (and it goes for everyone) if you have any interesting shit post it here - that documentary on Hannibal was cool as fuck.

Judgement at Nineveh is about the fall of the Assyrian empire. The Ancient History podcast is a good companion too it in describing how much they actually conquered and had rebellions and conquered  and had rebellions. The thing I'm tripping on right now is that I found this group of people in kurdish Iraq called the Yezidi who claim to be the decendents from the fall of Nineveh. Muslims attack them as devil worshipers because they worship the Fallen arch angel Satan that god cast down from heaven for refusing to bow to Adam...but its apparently not our Satan....

sorry dont have any links. but here's one to a cool website that makes food using ancient recipe's if you really wanna dork out.

http://pass-the-garum.blogspot.com/p/ingredients.html  

5/21/13 6:33 PM
Lord Nitemare

^ thanks brag, just bought a ton of his podcasts, someone earlier had recommended several lectures by some famous professor (which I will most likely buy as well).

The Assyrians seem pretty fucking cool...I'm assuming you believe they're the baddest mofos of all time?

5/21/13 6:39 PM
JJitsu
511 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no I'm a plastic paddy I think shirtless Celts would have conquered the planet if they had stopped drinking and put on some pants....

Seems like its more about technology to me since they're all equaly brutal in their own right, Mongol's were basically the Huns of a millenia earlier. 

5/21/13 7:27 PM
Lord Nitemare

JJitsu - 

no I'm a plastic paddy I think shirtless Celts would have conquered the planet if they had stopped drinking and put on some pants....

Seems like its more about technology to me since they're all equaly brutal in their own right, Mongol's were basically the Huns of a millenia earlier. 

Celts/Gauls were fucking savages, I'm going to try to read up on them in the future.

5/21/13 8:05 PM
shadallion
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mongols

Crushed the known world Phone Post
5/21/13 8:36 PM
Lord Nitemare

^ definitely checking out Wrath of the Khans

5/21/13 9:34 PM
JkdSam
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I personally liked all of Dan's HH podcasts, but I can see how some might not like a few of them. I enjoy the subject as much as I do his delivery, so it's all good to me.

The Assyrians were total badasses that ruled the known world for 1500 years! 1500! ...and within 40-50 years were forgotten. The remains of their humongous cities (that held up to 300,000 people!) were left to rot into ruins, and no one even knew who built them in the first place.

Just amazing.

5/21/13 9:52 PM
El_Varaco
444 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

on the last episode of Wrath of the Khans now

and my god these Mongols! the devastation and carnage that they brought is mind boggling. Dan Carlin makes it seem that these dudes truly did not give a fuck and really thought that the world was theirs (which it could truly have been, since nobody could really stop them) It was like a Prime Fedor stepping into an MMA match with point karate guys.
5/21/13 10:13 PM
Lord Nitemare

JkdSam - 

I personally liked all of Dan's HH podcasts, but I can see how some might not like a few of them. I enjoy the subject as much as I do his delivery, so it's all good to me.

The Assyrians were total badasses that ruled the known world for 1500 years! 1500! ...and within 40-50 years were forgotten. The remains of their humongous cities (that held up to 300,000 people!) were left to rot into ruins, and no one even knew who built them in the first place.

Just amazing.

Truly amazing when you really think of it, 1500 years...and we know very little about it in the grand scheme of things. I wish Dan would cover "Homeric Warfare" - or the validity of the Illiad. I'm watching Troy right now as we speak, and my interest is peaked. Regarding the Iliad, supposedly Archaelogists just recently discovered Agamemnon's tomb...which means its possible that an Achilles may have lived - which I find awesome.

5/21/13 10:15 PM
Lord Nitemare

^^ and the analogy is perfect...speaking of which...

5/21/13 10:18 PM
MickColins
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan Carlin is a fanboy but some of his stuff is interesting.

5/21/13 10:22 PM
Lord Nitemare

^ Italian company of death homie, explainz

5/21/13 10:40 PM
El_Varaco
444 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare - 

I was amazed at this quote when I first heard it

you must be some kind of high level badass to equate yourself with the wrath of god.

and to have the skill to actually back it up, and the ruthlessness to utterly deliver your version of god's wrath, that's some alpha level shit right there.

The mongol response to the letter from the Pope is one of the best formal shittalking I've ever seen as well.

---

the other thing about the mongols was they weren't above screwing their "allies" over, just to prove a point that they weren't to be fucked with.
5/21/13 10:45 PM
JJitsu

Lord Nitemare - 
JkdSam - 

Just amazing.

Truly amazing when you really think of it, 1500 years...and we know very little about it in the grand scheme of things. I wish Dan would cover "Homeric Warfare" - or the validity of the Illiad. I'm watching Troy right now as we speak, and my interest is peaked. Regarding the Iliad, supposedly Archaelogists just recently discovered Agamemnon's tomb...which means its possible that an Achilles may have lived - which I find awesome.

This guys podcast does a good half hour on  the fall of Assyria, basically for quite a few episode's its all people rebelling against them. He makes the point that were these people insanely brave or was death better then living under them. This one and the Podcast History of our world are just now going into Helenic greece from the pre helenic Mycean Greece. They're believed to be the Sea People that were recorded as having attacked Egypt and the Hittites.

not a sgood  as HH but...

http://s407341505.onlinehome.us/Episode_21_For_the_Sake_of_Distant_Days.mp3

5/21/13 11:09 PM
Lord Nitemare

^ sweet. Gonna subscribe to it ASAP.

5/21/13 11:11 PM
Lord Nitemare

"...The mongol response to the letter from the Pope is one of the best formal shittalking I've ever seen as well... "

Explainz
5/21/13 11:46 PM
El_Varaco

Edited: 05/21/13 11:49 PM
backstory is the Pope sent them a letter admonishing them for their violent ways and that they should submit to Christianity and what they were doing was frowned upon by the Roman Catholic Church, and that they should be baptised etc. etc. etc.

to paraphrase their reply:

"well we don't understand most of what you just said, and we really don't give a fuck. If god didn't want those people destroyed then they wouldn't have been destroyed. Listen, god told us to waste those fuckers, what other reason could there have been? If god wanted to stop us, he damn well could, but he didn't and seeing that normal dudes can't stop us as well, I guess god wanted it that way. So, instead of telling us to get baptized and all that bullshit, best get with the program as others have, before we have to pay YOU a visit, and show you what the wrath of god means."

or something to that effect.

---

the actual letter that Carlin reads in HH is far more eloquent, but it was pretty obvious that nobody could actually scare the mongols to submission, not even the church.
5/22/13 7:04 AM
Lord Nitemare

^ lulz at the Pope trying to put fear into the scariest motherfucker of all time. 

5/22/13 7:15 AM
BigTedBear
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There were a lot of bad plain nasty peoples.
The sea people's wiped out whole civilisations. Then there were the Assyrians with advanced for the time tactics. The steppe peoples were always bad ass. The vikings were really more interested in trade and settlements and they got there asses handed to them on many occasions. The Romans were chewing up a lot of these tribes. I guess many of these people could claim to be the baddest. Phone Post
5/22/13 12:38 PM
Lord Nitemare

BigTedBear -  There were a lot of bad plain nasty peoples.
The sea people's wiped out whole civilisations. Then there were the Assyrians with advanced for the time tactics. The steppe peoples were always bad ass. The vikings were really more interested in trade and settlements and they got there asses handed to them on many occasions. The Romans were chewing up a lot of these tribes. I guess many of these people could claim to be the baddest. Phone Post

I wish I knew more about the Assyrians...

5/22/13 2:25 PM
lars_schifinkter
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare - 

Yes now you know bro!

“With Heaven's aid I have conquered for you a huge empire. But my life was too short to achieve the conquest of the world. That task is left for you”

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

“If my body dies, let my body die, but do not let my country die.”
5/22/13 2:29 PM
lars_schifinkter
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I told the generals that one tribe is like a single arrow, easily broken. But together, we were strong, we could never be broken."

A new theory on Genghis is that he invaded everywhere to keep his crazy tribes from killing each other, it was sort of like a team building exercise of global domination.
5/22/13 2:42 PM
Lord Nitemare

Lulz

Did I mention earlier that people consider Genghis to have actually been mixed? There's a new theory (which is supposedly widely accepted) that he had both red hair and green eyes...which is as weird as an 8 inch dick on a Chinaman.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.