UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Who were the best Ancient Warriors OG?

8/31/12 12:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lord Nitemare
445 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

enbanc - As an overall fighting force, without a doubt, the Romans. They manifested human greatness from the Scottish Highlands through the craven coasts of Africa, from the foul barbaric forests of Germania through the Far East. One-on-one, there were probably many other warriors who could best a standard Roman soldier, even at the Empire's height. But as an overall military force, they were indomitable. Weep now, weep for the loss of light; weep for our falling into the darkness.

There's no doubt as to how immense and how indomitable the Roman military was As a whole, but the fact of the matter is - we're talking about who was among the best p4p. The Roman military was amazing, but it was so immense - others simply couldn't compare. On its fall from glory, the fact of the matter is they lost. I'm no expert but from what I understand, Alerik (super bad ass) was a former legionaire who basically surrounded Rome with a band of Barbarians and killed anyone who dared enter or exit the capital, eventually they gave in and that led to the sacking of Rome.

Long story short, I respect the shit out of them - but I doubt their infantry is as skilled as for example the Spartan infantry. Honestly, I believe it was their size and their unity that kept them strong. They fought seperate Germanic hordes,but what happened when those Barbarians joined forces? See what I mean, listen Im not expert this is just my feeling regarding the Romans.

If we were to mention specific units, well, that would be something else entirely. For example they had Recon units which were essentially Special Operations units - they would recon, Assassinate, destroy supply lines. Pretty Badass if you ask me.
8/31/12 12:26 PM
Granpa
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mongols dominated the greatest land mass in known history, when they had a capable leader in Kahn. After that, not so much.
8/31/12 12:27 PM
UGCTT_5 for fighting
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
8/31/12 12:33 PM
enbanc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sawdusk - 
funk samurai - The Romans created the war machine

it would be foolish not to put the roman military might up there... they had their ass handed to them on many occasions, but ultimately they'd win and usually against overwhelming odds...

their ingenuity, in-exhaustive will, and discipline were as great as any military power ever... if it wasn't for all their civil wars, they may still be in power...

other than them, I'd say the mongrels were equally formidable in their own style of warfare...

Why do the Germans still speak German bro?
8/31/12 12:40 PM
Lord Nitemare
445 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

enbanc - 
sawdusk - 

it would be foolish not to put the roman military might up there... they had their ass handed to them on many occasions, but ultimately they'd win and usually against overwhelming odds...

their ingenuity, in-exhaustive will, and discipline were as great as any military power ever... if it wasn't for all their civil wars, they may still be in power...

other than them, I'd say the mongrels were equally formidable in their own style of warfare...

Cause those crazy fucking savages chopped some Romans heads off
8/31/12 12:48 PM
sawdusk
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

enbanc - 
sawdusk - 

cause they were too stupid to learn latin or greek? ;)
8/31/12 1:25 PM
Lord Nitemare

Blue names please post pics

http://rccclan.com/index.php?/topic/672-the-knights-hospitaller-rp-faction/

http://firefighterparamedicstories.blogspot.com/2010/06/maltese-cross.html

Those were the Hospitallers, bonafide badasses
8/31/12 2:06 PM
McFly

. Phone Post
8/31/12 2:09 PM
LittleKang
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Greeks under Alexander the Great Phone Post
8/31/12 2:17 PM
Lord Nitemare

^ Alexander's Cavalry is on the list...

So far, in no particular order...
- Samurai
- Spartan Infantry/Skirite Rangers
- Macedonian Phalanx/Cavalry
- Viking Beserker

But we still have a shit load to discuss, for example the Knight's Templar and Hospitaller - blue name please post pics above. Thanks.
8/31/12 2:36 PM
Lord Nitemare

Bump
8/31/12 9:24 PM
Lord Nitemare

Lord Nitemare - Bump

8/31/12 11:08 PM
Lord Nitemare

Last bump for the day
9/1/12 9:48 AM
Lord Nitemare

Bump for discussion
9/1/12 11:57 AM
krebs74

Maori....fear the haka...
9/1/12 12:09 PM
Ridgeback
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare - Blue names please post pics

These guys were early modern warriors, not really ancient by any stretch.  The ancient world dies with Rome.
9/1/12 12:09 PM
Ridgeback
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare - Blue names please post pics

These guys were early modern warriors, not really ancient by any stretch.  The ancient world dies with Rome.
9/1/12 12:26 PM
Kevin bacon
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

21 Sikh warriors vs 10 000 Afghans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saragarhi

The Sikhs have a surprising history of being complete badasses. Their religion is pretty much that they must defend the weak no matter what. Not do any religious rituals and live a clean (weed is ok) and honest life. They have their own martial art as well.

Sikhs are 80% percent of the Indian military while only being 1,7% of the population. They are pretty much responsible for keeping the muslims from invading India throughout history while being outnumbered at around 20 - 1

9/1/12 12:36 PM
Kevin bacon
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare - 
The Loge - 
Ham and Egger - Does anyone know the name of the German shock troops that wore brightly colored clothing and attacked pike walls?
Berserkers I believe, but I could be mistaken. Phone Post

Berserkers were the bastards of Norsemen, Vikings. They were viewed as almost second class citizens within their cultures, not many people bothered with them at all - literally they were left the fuck alone. But not because they were weird or some shit, it was because the other Vikings were fearful of them to a fault. A beserker traditionally would strip down to a loin cloth or more often than not naked. They'd paint themselves, out on a bear skin and grab a bastard sword (long sword whatever you prefer), get high on mushrooms and proceed to fuck shit up....really badly. There are stories of how Vikings would stay far behind the Beserkers fearful of their own lives, of how they would clear bridges by themselves, storm through castles etc, etc.

Yeah, long story short - these dudes were fucking Savages. Super bad ass. If you've seen 13th Warrior, it's a pretty decent representation of them.

The Norwegian word for someone going completely nuts and destroying everything around them is literary call going "berserk"
9/1/12 12:42 PM
Kevin bacon

^ I'm realizing this is the same word in english, but my point is that it was pretty much spelled and pronounced the same for over a 1000 years ago. Says something about the mark they left
9/1/12 1:09 PM
TexDeuce
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
9/1/12 1:43 PM
anthonyMI
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chupacabra208 -
Ham and Egger - Does anyone know the name of the German shock troops that wore brightly colored clothing and attacked pike walls?

I only read the first page so dunno if someone answered this yet. But you could be referring to the Teutonic Knights. They were pretty bad ass.
I think he is talking about the Landsknecht. They were the most sought after mercenaries of the 15-16th centuries and dressed super fabulous. Phone Post
9/1/12 1:48 PM
MushroomHead
345 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
9/1/12 1:56 PM
Lord Nitemare

anthonyMI - 
chupacabra208 -
Ham and Egger - Does anyone know the name of the German shock troops that wore brightly colored clothing and attacked pike walls?

I only read the first page so dunno if someone answered this yet. But you could be referring to the Teutonic Knights. They were pretty bad ass.
I think he is talking about the Landsknecht. They were the most sought after mercenaries of the 15-16th centuries and dressed super fabulous. Phone Post

Please post anything you know about them, I know nothing of them - seriously.
9/1/12 2:00 PM
microbiologynerd
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.