UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Who were the best Ancient Warriors OG?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/31/13 8:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Messiah
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare - 

That's an action figure? Fuck me sideways....regardless, shows how badass Spartans looked. They were known to make their enemies literally piss their pants (rather togas)  before the battle even started.

Yeah it looks like it's on a circular base like the Warhammer 40K miniatures I used to make as a kid. I'm not joking around when I say that it's fucking hard to paint them well, and the level of detail on that Spartan is insane. The lighting/reflections on the breastplate are amazing, and the way the cloak is done with the shadows in the folds is very impressive as well.

Whoever did it probably spent a lot of time on that.
5/31/13 11:31 PM
JkdSam
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare - 

Just finished Dan Carlin's - Punic Wars, Deathroes of the Republic, Alexander vs Hitler, Shield of the West, Steppe Stories and 1066 - needless to say all were fantastic.

Deathroes of the Republic was my favorite, The transformation of Rome's poltiical system and more importantly it's Military is interesting as all hell. I wished he covered more of Caesar's battles - particularly Alesia - but I wasn't too interested in his generalship after finding out that he was just a massive hipster douche. Best way to describe him was that he was essentially a mix of Hitler, Justin Bieber, Ted Haggard and Bill Clinton. To say he was fucked up would be an understatement...guess you could say that about the whole lot of those Romans. Crassus was a caniving asshole, Pompeii was a melodramatic cocksucker, and Claudius was a cocksucker. 

I also loved how he compared the rivalry between Gaius Marius and Lucius Sulla - fascinating shit.

...oh, and FYI, Caesar was supposedly the butt buddy of the King of Bynthia. This very gay relationship haunted him for the rest of his life, and some say his affairs were spawned in an effort to destroy his reputation as being a pillow biter. The people of Rome used to refer to him as every Woman's Man, and every Man's Woman. 

From Death Throes - the way Gaius Marius dealt with the Cimbri and Tuetons was bad ass! You really get the picture that if you needed to kick someone's ass, Marius was the guy you gave an army to.

And a big LOL@Clodius for getting caught trying to bang Julius Caesar's wife by cross dressing so he could attend an all female religious ceremony! haha.

6/1/13 5:40 AM
Lord Nitemare
655 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ yeah, Marius was a motherfuckers motherfucker...as was Sulla. They should definitely make a movie/miniseries on their rivalry.

6/1/13 8:03 AM
Lord Nitemare
655 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also loved how Sulla literally killed everyone who fucked with him, his revolt on Rome very well may be the most badass thing to have ever happened in Antiquity... Or the Ancient world for that matter.

6/1/13 1:35 PM
JkdSam

Lord Nitemare - 

Also loved how Sulla literally killed everyone who fucked with him, his revolt on Rome very well may be the most badass thing to have ever happened in Antiquity... Or the Ancient world for that matter.

Yeah, the "cull" he carried out was crazy! At first, he had his enemies killed. Then, friends of his enemies. Eventually, he was killing people so he could take their property and use it to pay his soldiers. The story about the bounty list reader finding his own name on the list..just insane! Imagine going to read the list, seeing your name on it, and then looking around at the crowd that would no doubt be licking their chops in your direction!

6/1/13 2:45 PM
Lord Nitemare

Dude, HH is great. Deathroes of the Republic was amazing, I wish he would cover Rome at its height though. Thor's Angels was great, he laid out the fall of Rome and the years following excellently. I'm going to listen to Wrath of the Khans next, apparently I am part of Haplogroup C - which would either indicate Amerindian ancestry or more than likely Mongol Ancestry (my mother is Russian) so I'm going to be listening with a vested interest.

In the future, I hope he covers Sparta - Shield of the West was good, but he could have gone into detail more.

6/1/13 5:14 PM
lars_schifinkter
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nitemare did you ever watch the BBC documentary on Ghenghis I linked you? It makes my panties wet is all.
6/1/13 5:27 PM
Lord Nitemare

Odins_Fleshlight -  I just gotta say thanks a lot to Lord Nightmare... This has been my favorite thread bro... Rought me outa lurking after 3 years... Thanks to everyone that contributed so far. And I learned so much about my ancestors on here. VTFU when I figure out how to on my phone Phone Post

No problem, as you can see I'm quite the opposite of a lurker. OGing is my go to move when I'm either bored, or when I'm actually supposed to be doing something.

by chance, who were your ancestors?

6/1/13 5:30 PM
Lord Nitemare

lars_schifinkter - Nitemare did you ever watch the BBC documentary on Ghenghis I linked you? It makes my panties wet is all.

I watched the first segment last night, it seemed pretty cool. only thing that annoyed me about it was the actor who played as Temujin has none of the features that resemble the actual Temujin, other than that it seems badass.

I think I recommended Mongol before? As a fan of the Mongolian Empire, you have to see the movie. It was fucking awesome, to not see it would be a disservice. Again, the guy who plays as him doesn't really share the same characteristics as Genghis but it doesn't really matter.

6/1/13 5:38 PM
lars_schifinkter
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

See I don't know, he could have had red hair but no Mongolian sources, even the Secret History of the Mongols, mentions it. I certainly don't consider it a fact. It's actually hilarious, Turkic peoploe use that description to claim him, China swears he was ethnic Chinese and his burial place is in their borders, lot's of people fighting over him. They may have found his tomb, google "Valley of the Khans," but Mongolia doesnt want his remains disturbed as is the custom in Tengrism.

Plus that guys an authentic Mongolian wrassling champ, skilled in horsemanship and archery, so he was a good choice to cast. That's the cool thing about that doc, all authentic Mongolians doing their thing.

I can show that to anyone, even non-history fans and they watch the whole thing. It's only an hour so definitely worth watching as a precursor to further research.

Saw Mongol it was pretty good but took some liberties. 4.9/5 haha.
6/1/13 5:46 PM
Lord Nitemare

Really? Dan Carlin mentioned literally a minute ago that he was described as being a tall, red haired, green eyed man in secret histroy of the Mongols? Well, whatever - doesn't really matter that much.

6/1/13 6:01 PM
lars_schifinkter

Lord Nitemare - 

Really? Dan Carlin mentioned literally a minute ago that he was described as being a tall, red haired, green eyed man in secret histroy of the Mongols? Well, whatever - doesn't really matter that much.

Hmm well, he's certainly more accredited than me, I had just always read it was a Persian who never met him who wrote that and Mongolian texts describe him as having almond skin, dark hair and a square head.

Like I said if he was a ginger he would certainly be a more striking and charismatic figure and the traits exist in tribes he could have had ancestry from.
6/1/13 6:05 PM
lars_schifinkter

http://jigjids.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/the_secret_history_of_the_mongols_the_life_and_times_of_chinggis_khan1.pdf

There's a link to the whole text, checking it now haha.

</nerd>
6/1/13 7:35 PM
Lord Nitemare

I Dont need fo tell you that you have a Badass family

6/1/13 8:46 PM
sawdusk
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare - 

sulla is one of the most fascinating people in all of history, for my money... he was one of the most revered and feared men in the history of rome...

some bullet points of his life:

* undefeated general

* decorated warrior (winning the roman version of the medal of honor)

* first person to march on rome

* while serving marius, was sent on a mission and captured the KING of numidia

* was credited for many victories over the cimbri and the teutones with the other half of marius' army (though the official credit went to another roman general who in reality was a hopeless dimwit)

* a brilliant politician

* proscribed all his enemies (and pretty much anyone with land or money who wasn't a staunch supporter of his) with lists posted of names daily in rome (there was a reward for anyone who killed a person on the list, and thousands were butchered as a result, some while checking if their name was on the list!) (a young ceasar was on the lists at one time and had to flee rome) (he would later be taken off the list and would serve in sulla's army, winning a civic crown doing so) (and is it any wonder ceasar was the brilliant military man he was with marius as an uncle and sulla as a mentor?)

* and then after being dictator for a few years and restoring rome to a conservative state, sulla just walked away... gave up all his power and retired to a life of debauchery with his long time boyfriend... one of the few dictators to not die a violent death... in fact, sulla was noted to walk around rome as he pleased with no body guards in sight... people just were terrified of him to an almost mythical status...

* and owner of the most haunting epitaph (which he of course wrote) I have ever read:

no greater friend, no worse enemy...

shame he hasn't been properly explored by an HBO show...
6/1/13 8:59 PM
Lord Nitemare

As I said, they need to cover his life. They need to...in my opinion, arguably Rome's finest general (others being Africanus, Aemilanus, Caesar, and even Marius himself). Not to become film fanatic pseudo fag, but if I had to suggest an actor to play as Sulla - I think I'd have to go with Craig...why did I just post that?

6/1/13 9:14 PM
Lord Nitemare

Pic of a red haired, green eyed mongolian child...one could argue, Genghis Khan may have once looked similar to this.

6/1/13 10:24 PM
Lord Nitemare

Ah, well, I was a candidate at both the USMA/USNA - didnt get a nom for either. Going to college in the fall, I'm going to reapply to both - in the event that I can't make it in, I'm most likely either going to finish my degree or just enlist. 

6/2/13 12:01 AM
JkdSam

sawdusk - 
Lord Nitemare - 

sulla is one of the most fascinating people in all of history, for my money... he was one of the most revered and feared men in the history of rome...

some bullet points of his life:

* undefeated general

* decorated warrior (winning the roman version of the medal of honor)

* first person to march on rome

* while serving marius, was sent on a mission and captured the KING of numidia

* was credited for many victories over the cimbri and the teutones with the other half of marius' army (though the official credit went to another roman general who in reality was a hopeless dimwit)

* a brilliant politician

* proscribed all his enemies (and pretty much anyone with land or money who wasn't a staunch supporter of his) with lists posted of names daily in rome (there was a reward for anyone who killed a person on the list, and thousands were butchered as a result, some while checking if their name was on the list!) (a young ceasar was on the lists at one time and had to flee rome) (he would later be taken off the list and would serve in sulla's army, winning a civic crown doing so) (and is it any wonder ceasar was the brilliant military man he was with marius as an uncle and sulla as a mentor?)

* and then after being dictator for a few years and restoring rome to a conservative state, sulla just walked away... gave up all his power and retired to a life of debauchery with his long time boyfriend... one of the few dictators to not die a violent death... in fact, sulla was noted to walk around rome as he pleased with no body guards in sight... people just were terrified of him to an almost mythical status...

* and owner of the most haunting epitaph (which he of course wrote) I have ever read:

no greater friend, no worse enemy...

shame he hasn't been properly explored by an HBO show...

VU

6/2/13 9:20 AM
Lord Nitemare

Bump

6/2/13 9:58 AM
Lord Nitemare

Wait a tic, Sulla was a pillow biter?

"...and retired to a life of debauchery with his long time boyfriend..."

WHAT THE FUCK!!!

6/2/13 3:37 PM
sawdusk
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare - 

Wait a tic, Sulla was a pillow biter?

"...and retired to a life of debauchery with his long time boyfriend..."

WHAT THE FUCK!!!

yup... one of the baddest men rome every produced, from one of the most ancient and hallowed families, a guy with looks that were said to be godlike, was a lady killer and had a long time relationship with an actor (metrobius)(source: plutarch "the lives")...

one of the most complicated people I've ever read about...

a man who upon returning to rome after winning the civil war, gave his speech in the senate house, and while reading them what basically was his statement of dictatorship (his constitution, if you will) was also having prisoners of the war tortured nearby, so much so that his speech was often punctuated with screams and cries from those being put to death...

he was a homicidal maniac with a genius for war, politics, and well deserving of the "half fox, half wolf" moniker assigned to him...
6/2/13 3:45 PM
lars_schifinkter

Ugh so much gay back in the day it blows my fragile little mind.
6/2/13 4:08 PM
Lord Nitemare

Whaaaaaaaaat? He was fucking bisexual? Dude...ugh...I was thinking that they could have made a miniseries that could have Rivaled Gladiator, not Behind the Candelabra.

To agree with Lars, I fucking hate the homoeroticism in antiquity, the only people you can definitively know that weren't gay were the Spartans - outside of them It's pretty much a mixed bag. For example, Alexander wasn't gay - but his Father was quite a fan of the dick. 

...athough I thought it was frowned upon to be a fag in Ancient Rome, I stand corrected....or they did frown upon it, they just didnt want to say anything about it.

6/2/13 4:40 PM
sawdusk

rome definitely frowned on it... caesar was rumored to have had an affair with king nicomedes, but it was a rumor spread only by his enemies to undermine his political aspirations... caesar considered it almost punishable by death to insinuate that rumor about him... as a result, it wasn't a rumor that followed him beyond his early years...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.