UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Who were the best Ancient Warriors OG?

9/1/12 2:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lord Nitemare
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ridgeback - 
Lord Nitemare - Blue names please post pics

http://rccclan.com/index.php?/topic/672-the-knights-hospitaller-rp-faction/

http://firefighterparamedicstories.blogspot.com/2010/06/maltese-cross.html

Those were the Hospitallers, bonafide badasses

These guys were early modern warriors, not really ancient by any stretch.  The ancient world dies with Rome.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. But hopefully you understand what I mean, at the end of the day both the Hospitallers and the Templars are fucking awesome. Basically, the CAG of the Middle ages - in my opinion the greatest Warriors of all time.

Sorry dude, but could you post the pics? Pretty please with sugar on top? (I know that sounded pretty ghey, sorry about that)
9/1/12 2:09 PM
Lord Nitemare
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kevin bacon - ^ I'm realizing this is the same word in english, but my point is that it was pretty much spelled and pronounced the same for over a 1000 years ago. Says something about the mark they left

Beserkers were Über-Alpha males, seriously, as bad ass as they come. Take a step back and realize the type of human being that is willing to go into battle with a Bearskin and a Greatsword...and that's it. Fuck your armor, chain mail, your shield, your phalanx - No, I'm going to go into combat with a sword naked....dude, they were awesome.

As far as the Sikhs, yeah, theyre fucking awesome warriors. But I just got one question, is their a Military elite in regards to them?
9/1/12 2:12 PM
Lord Nitemare

krebs74 - Maori....fear the haka...

Fuck yeah, no doubt.

How in the fuck can you doubt a Warrior that's completely willing to eat you after he kills you? You can't...you just can't.

Definitely on the list...and the Haka is the shit, when it's done right.
9/1/12 2:33 PM
Arglebargle
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scholar Hilda Ellis-Davidson draws a parallel between berserkers and the mention by the Byzantine emperor Constantine VII (AD 905–959) in his book De cerimoniis aulae byzantinae ("Book of Ceremonies of the Byzantine court") of a "Gothic Dance" performed by members of his Varangian Guard (Norse warriors working in the service of the Byzantine Empire), who took part wearing animal skins and masks: she believes this may have been connected with berserker rites.[7]

The actual fit of madness the berserker experienced was referred to as berserkergang ("going berserk"). This condition has been described as follows:

This fury, which was called berserkergang, occurred not only in the heat of battle, but also during laborious work. Men who were thus seized performed things which otherwise seemed impossible for human power. This condition is said to have begun with shivering, chattering of the teeth, and chill in the body, and then the face swelled and changed its colour. With this was connected a great hot-headedness, which at last gave over into a great rage, under which they howled as wild animals, bit the edge of their shields, and cut down everything they met without discriminating between friend or foe. When this condition ceased, a great dulling of the mind and feebleness followed, which could last for one or several days.[8]
Theories about what caused berserker behaviour include ingestion of materials with psychoactive properties, psychological processes, and medical conditions.

Some scholars believe certain examples of berserker rage to have been induced voluntarily by the consumption of drugs such as the hallucinogenic mushroom Amanita muscaria.[9] or massive amounts of alcohol.[10] While such practices would fit in with ritual usages, other explanations for the berserker's madness have been put forward, including self-induced hysteria, epilepsy, mental illness or genetics.[11]

Jonathan Shay, MD, makes an explicit connection between the berserker rage of soldiers and the hyperarousal of post-traumatic stress disorder. In Achilles in Vietnam he writes:

If a soldier survives the berserk state, it imparts emotional deadness and vulnerability to explosive rage to his psychology and permanent hyperarousal to his physiology -- hallmarks of post-traumatic stress disorder in combat veterans. My clinical experience with Vietnam combat veterans prompts me to place the berserk state at the heart of their most severe psychological and psychophysiological injuries.[12]

That is pretty badass.
9/1/12 2:38 PM
kinkle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mongols, because they killed and raped everybody. I am pretty sure they are undisputed #1 pre-gun era warriors. Everybody else is competing for #2.
9/1/12 2:40 PM
moiststpierre
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Miyamoto Musashi Phone Post
9/1/12 2:43 PM
anthonyMI
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know much about them, really. During the Renaissance era, mercenaries were a huge part of any army. Before the Landsknecht became popular, the Swiss were the most famous mercenaries. This is probably where the pike wall comment came from; they were competitors with the Swiss who used pike squares almost exclusively. They also were built around pile squares, but also were supported by men carrying Zweihanders and made heavy use of firearms.

During their time, Landsknecht companies fought on both sides of just about any war that occurred.

Recruitment wise, they originally came from the Low Countries and Rhineland, but would eventually bring is troops from everywhere. That probably had something to do with their decline: bringing on every two-bit sellsword who wanted a shot at the big leagues. Phone Post
9/1/12 2:58 PM
Wahlau
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would put an equal number of gurkhas with their kukris against an equal number of any of the above mentioned groups

These little guys fuck shit up and are not intimidated by anything
9/1/12 3:09 PM
Lord Nitemare

Wahlau - I would put an equal number of gurkhas with their kukris against an equal number of any of the above mentioned groups

Straight up Mountain Assassins - yeah, but they're still around...they're modern.
9/1/12 3:12 PM
Lord Nitemare

Arglebargle - Scholar Hilda Ellis-Davidson draws a parallel between berserkers and the mention by the Byzantine emperor Constantine VII (AD 905–959) in his book De cerimoniis aulae byzantinae ("Book of Ceremonies of the Byzantine court") of a "Gothic Dance" performed by members of his Varangian Guard (Norse warriors working in the service of the Byzantine Empire), who took part wearing animal skins and masks: she believes this may have been connected with berserker rites.[7]

The actual fit of madness the berserker experienced was referred to as berserkergang ("going berserk"). This condition has been described as follows:

This fury, which was called berserkergang, occurred not only in the heat of battle, but also during laborious work. Men who were thus seized performed things which otherwise seemed impossible for human power. This condition is said to have begun with shivering, chattering of the teeth, and chill in the body, and then the face swelled and changed its colour. With this was connected a great hot-headedness, which at last gave over into a great rage, under which they howled as wild animals, bit the edge of their shields, and cut down everything they met without discriminating between friend or foe. When this condition ceased, a great dulling of the mind and feebleness followed, which could last for one or several days.[8]
Theories about what caused berserker behaviour include ingestion of materials with psychoactive properties, psychological processes, and medical conditions.

Some scholars believe certain examples of berserker rage to have been induced voluntarily by the consumption of drugs such as the hallucinogenic mushroom Amanita muscaria.[9] or massive amounts of alcohol.[10] While such practices would fit in with ritual usages, other explanations for the berserker's madness have been put forward, including self-induced hysteria, epilepsy, mental illness or genetics.[11]

Jonathan Shay, MD, makes an explicit connection between the berserker rage of soldiers and the hyperarousal of post-traumatic stress disorder. In Achilles in Vietnam he writes:

If a soldier survives the berserk state, it imparts emotional deadness and vulnerability to explosive rage to his psychology and permanent hyperarousal to his physiology -- hallmarks of post-traumatic stress disorder in combat veterans. My clinical experience with Vietnam combat veterans prompts me to place the berserk state at the heart of their most severe psychological and psychophysiological injuries.[12]

That is pretty badass.

Beserkers are definitely bad ass.
9/1/12 3:17 PM
ZzFDKzZ

Sub love these type of threads. Lots of knowledgeable OGer's. Phone Post
9/1/12 3:33 PM
Kevin bacon

Lord Nitemare - 
Kevin bacon - ^ I'm realizing this is the same word in english, but my point is that it was pretty much spelled and pronounced the same for over a 1000 years ago. Says something about the mark they left

Beserkers were Über-Alpha males, seriously, as bad ass as they come. Take a step back and realize the type of human being that is willing to go into battle with a Bearskin and a Greatsword...and that's it. Fuck your armor, chain mail, your shield, your phalanx - No, I'm going to go into combat with a sword naked....dude, they were awesome.

As far as the Sikhs, yeah, theyre fucking awesome warriors. But I just got one question, is their a Military elite in regards to them?

The origin of the work Berserk is actually a deviation of the word Bjørneskjorte, which means bear-shirt. That means these guys had to kill a bear by themselves just to be able to try out as a berserker. In other words; only the hardest, strongest and craziest of the VIKINGS - a people known for these exact attributes - could become a part of this lunatic force.

So you have these warriors that are not only tough enough to have killed a bear in close combat -- but are also on fucking shrooms, boiling with bloodlust, fighting only with a bearskin and a huge fucking sword, covered in blood. They're coming from a big a boat with a dragon on it.

Run! FUCKING RUN!

9/1/12 3:54 PM
Lord Nitemare

Kevin bacon - 
Lord Nitemare - 

The origin of the work Berserk is actually a deviation of the word Bjørneskjorte, which means bear-shirt. That means these guys had to kill a bear by themselves just to be able to try out as a berserker. In other words; only the hardest, strongest and craziest of the VIKINGS - a people known for these exact attributes - could become a part of this lunatic force.

So you have these warriors that are not only tough enough to have killed a bear in close combat -- but are also on fucking shrooms, boiling with bloodlust, fighting only with a bearskin and a huge fucking sword, covered in blood. They're coming from a big a boat with a dragon on it.

Run! FUCKING RUN!

Honestly dude, that shit was poetic...seriously. I said before, consider the type of person that's willing to do that shit. Seriously. I don't know about the "best", but they are definitely the most intimidating warriors of all time. Come on, what other Warriors are taking on A FUCKING BEAR NAKED!!! WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT!!! That shit is crazy.

I wonder if they kept the Beserkers seperate from the rest of the Regular Vikings - like a Cage or some shit, or even another boat...

Do you know anything about Templars and Hospitallers?
9/1/12 4:24 PM
anthonyMI
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Berserkers were respected, but they were still social pariahs that were mostly left to themselves. They were a bit too real for the band of murdering rapists they kept company with. Phone Post
9/1/12 4:30 PM
Lord Nitemare

anthonyMI -  The Berserkers were respected, but they were still social pariahs that were mostly left to themselves. They were a bit too real for the band of murdering rapists they kept company with. Phone Post

Shows you how fucking badass or rather twisted they were...

Now seriously does anyone know anything about Templars/Hospitallers?
9/1/12 4:53 PM
MdGeist

Lord Nitemare - 
enbanc - As an overall fighting force, without a doubt, the Romans. They manifested human greatness from the Scottish Highlands through the craven coasts of Africa, from the foul barbaric forests of Germania through the Far East. One-on-one, there were probably many other warriors who could best a standard Roman soldier, even at the Empire's height. But as an overall military force, they were indomitable. Weep now, weep for the loss of light; weep for our falling into the darkness.

There's no doubt as to how immense and how indomitable the Roman military was As a whole, but the fact of the matter is - we're talking about who was among the best p4p. The Roman military was amazing, but it was so immense - others simply couldn't compare. On its fall from glory, the fact of the matter is they lost. I'm no expert but from what I understand, Alerik (super bad ass) was a former legionaire who basically surrounded Rome with a band of Barbarians and killed anyone who dared enter or exit the capital, eventually they gave in and that led to the sacking of Rome.

Long story short, I respect the shit out of them - but I doubt their infantry is as skilled as for example the Spartan infantry. Honestly, I believe it was their size and their unity that kept them strong. They fought seperate Germanic hordes,but what happened when those Barbarians joined forces? See what I mean, listen Im not expert this is just my feeling regarding the Romans.

If we were to mention specific units, well, that would be something else entirely. For example they had Recon units which were essentially Special Operations units - they would recon, Assassinate, destroy supply lines. Pretty Badass if you ask me.

The Imperial Roman Army from 30 BC – AD 284, was by far the greatest military force of antiquity. It was the first true, "professional" army the world had every seen and they conquered most of the civilized world. During the height of the Roman Empire, a single Roman legion would have destroyed any army of comparable size.

Their leadership, strategy, tactics, engineering, training, and organization is comparable to modern-day militaries. On top of that, they had the most superior weapons, armor, artillery, siege engines, fortifications, etc. of their day. There is no ancient military that can even compare to the Roman Empire.

When the Visigoths raided Rome in AD 410, Rome was no longer even the capital of the Western Roman Empire, in fact, most of the Roman Army was composed of "barbarian", non-Roman citizens . The Roman Army in the Western Empire had dwindled significantly in size and they relied heavily on mercenaries to defend it's frontier that it could no longer protect due to constant civil war among generals, political in-fighting, plagues, and economic collapse.

Because Rome no longer had the finances to pay off their mercenaries on the frontier to defend the borders, there was a mass-migration of German tribes into former Roman provinces in the West, followed by more barbarian tribes until the Western Empire dissolved in AD 476 when Odacer became the first King of Italy.
9/1/12 5:00 PM
Lord Nitemare

As I said earlier, there is no denying it but do you know of any specific "elite" units within the Roman Army? I know of the Cavalry and Reconnaissance units but that's about it...oh and the Speculatores (kinda' like Spies).

And I basically abbreviated the shit out of their history, as I said I'm no expert, and I do understand that it was not even a shadow of the former empire.
9/1/12 5:02 PM
Lord Nitemare

Superdupersuper - The answer is the army's with the greatest leaders at their command. The Macedonians with Alexander, the Mongols with ghengis khan, the Romans depending on who was emperor, and daenerys with the unsullied eunuch warriors. The Spartans I think get way too much credit, they were a force to be reckoned with but not nearly as powerful as the others.

Fuck Dany and her no dicked Warriors. I'm reading Storm of Swords right now, and I'm literally on the part where they talked about the unsullied. I had to skip that shit, I strted to fear for my dick and balls.

Oh, and Dothraki Warriors destroy the Unsullied, I mean no dicked dudes any day of the week. Drogo literally fucking rapes them. My .02 cents :)
9/1/12 5:29 PM
GladiatorGannon
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wahlau - I would put an equal number of gurkhas with their kukris against an equal number of any of the above mentioned groups

Then they would lose a lot of battles. A lot of their opponents would just have such superior weapons and armor, not much else would matter.
9/1/12 5:49 PM
Lord Nitemare

Superdupersuper - 
Lord Nitemare - 
Superdupersuper - The answer is the army's with the greatest leaders at their command. The Macedonians with Alexander, the Mongols with ghengis khan, the Romans depending on who was emperor, and daenerys with the unsullied eunuch warriors. The Spartans I think get way too much credit, they were a force to be reckoned with but not nearly as powerful as the others.

Fuck Dany and her no dicked Warriors. I'm reading Storm of Swords right now, and I'm literally on the part where they talked about the unsullied. I had to skip that shit, I strted to fear for my dick and balls.

Oh, and Dothraki Warriors destroy the Unsullied, I mean no dicked dudes any day of the week. Drogo literally fucking rapes them. My .02 cents :)

Lol

Sorry, dude.
9/1/12 5:50 PM
Lord Nitemare

^ but Dothraki would fuck them up.
9/1/12 6:03 PM
Zenoplata
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

William Wallace or Maximus Decimus Meridius.
9/1/12 6:04 PM
Lord Nitemare

Superdupersuper - They would fuck them up but not with dany, the dragons and the unsullied. In a dance with dragons the dragons are much bigger and vicious.

Ok, I agree to that - the Dragons will become badass (still reading storm of swords) but that's the only advantage they have albeit it's a huge advantage - they'reDragons for fuck's sake. But yeah, those no dicked dudes can suck MY dick - fuck them seriously. Khal tears their throats out one by one.
9/1/12 6:06 PM
Lord Nitemare

Zenoplata -  William Wallace or Maximus Decimus Meridius.

Sadly, old Max was fictitious...
9/1/12 6:08 PM
MickColins
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anthonyMI -
The Loge -  The Spartans by a mile. They were raised in a true warrior society, with strict military discipline, and trained to be stone cold killers from the tender age of 7. They had the best of both worlds. In addition to their physical prowess they were trained in the most effective tactics and strategy of the day and equipped with the some of the best weaponry as well. Phone Post

...and also got their shit pushed in by Thebes.
Ironic choice of words. And the Spartans were already on the downward trend when Thebes beat them. Also, the Knights Templar weren't even the toughest Christian order. The Hospitallers were. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.