UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cormier: I'll fight Jon Jones

8/31/12 9:21 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In an exclusive interview with BJPenn.com, Daniel Cormier says he is game to fight Jon Jones at 205.

“Right now no one wants to fight Jon Jones, but s--- I’ll do it, I’ll fight Jon Jones,” said Cormier, who is currently preparing to fight the UFC's Frank Mir, who is crossing over to face Cormier in Strikeforce. “Guys are turning down the fight; you have to go to an old school fighter like Vitor Belfort to step up to the plate. That’s no knock on Machida or Shogun, but if those guys want to coach on The Ultimate Fighter and move off to the side and let me fight Jones, I’ll do it. If no one wants the title shot then give it to Daniel!”

Cormier was shocked when he heard that UFC 151 was canceled and he gave a hypothetical answer about what he would do had he had been in a similar situation.

“Dan predominately stands-up while Chael wrestles a little bit more,” offered Cormier. “But my idea is this and this is the God’s honest truth, Jones can fight anyone on eight days notice, he’s that good. With that being said I think he should’ve taken the fight. If you listened to what Rashad Evans said it was kind of Jones’ obligation to the UFC to stop the cancellation of the card. They’ve gotten behind him, I mean obviously his skills are what have gotten him a long way, but they have pushed him out to the front. They have made him a lot of money and put him in big fights. I’m almost 100% sure without knowing they played a hand in him landing the deal with Nike. There are a lot of reasons why he should have taken the fight, but the main one is he could have beaten 98% of the guys in the world on eight days notice.”

Read entire article...

However, when discussing Daniel Cormier and 205, what happened to him in Beijing in 2008 cannot be forgotten.

Cormier stepped off the scale the day before the first match at the Beijing Olympics, and things went wrong.

"When I went to rehydrate myself, my body started doing weird things," recalls Cormier. "I was throwing up everywhere. I started cramping really bad. Then, I couldn't walk."

Cormier was diagnised with potentially fatal Acute Renal Failure, and was pulled from the games. He did not get cleared to train for an entire year; his amateur wrestling career ended.

At 5' 11 and around 235, Cormier is a little undersized for the heavyweight division. In a recent interview with Sports Illustrated, he discussed a potential cut to lightheavyweight.

"Listen, I'm a clear thinker and I know that I carry some extra fat and I could probably get to 205 if I needed to," said Cormier. "But it would have to be a total lifestyle change. I just can't do it the wrong way anymore."

At the very least, if Cormier does get the opportunity to fight Jones, he'll need more than eight days.

8/31/12 9:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brodor is our only hope. Phone Post
8/31/12 9:32 AM
Brigham
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier beats jones Phone Post
8/31/12 9:40 AM
Lessphilling
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Epic fight if it happens. Kinda feel bad for Mir...
8/31/12 9:40 AM
3rdLion
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should cut to 205, he'd be a force. There's no way Jones is stopping that takedown.
8/31/12 9:46 AM
TigersBlood

3rdLion - He should cut to 205, he'd be a force. There's no way Jones is stopping that takedown.

8/31/12 9:49 AM
BigWilliam
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier can put anyone on their back pretty much at will, and his striking is coming along at a frightening pace. Whatever division he settles in I think he will be a major contender and possibly a champion for a long time.
8/31/12 9:55 AM
TeamBeekerMMA
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, that'd be a great fight. At this point I think the only hope for Jones being defeated at 205 is if the likes of DC, Big Roy or Fedor cut down. He's already wiped his ass with anyone relevant so something big's gotta give here.
8/31/12 9:58 AM
robbie380
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think cormier is the favorite in that fight.
8/31/12 10:08 AM
bjws
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones rag dolls DC to the ground just as he has everyone else. DC will probably be a smaller LHW given he can't do the same cut everyone else can so he'll be at an even bigger disadvantage. I say he is best to move down but to take a year or two at LHW before he starts going after a title shot.
8/31/12 10:13 AM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Having a stud fighter over in Strikeforce at heavyweight right now is such bs.  The positive is that he will get some more experience with the Mir fight. 

When Cormier comes over and he is given a 205 fight and it's not against Jones, who's a good opponent for him?  

8/31/12 10:15 AM
Card
2107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier you are our only hope.
8/31/12 10:16 AM
BBQ@bendos
837 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would love to see it! Phone Post
8/31/12 10:17 AM
rockyrocks90
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I Will fight Jon Jones in gladiatorial combat. He will be no match for my Wu-Tang sword style.

Cormier FTW!
8/31/12 10:23 AM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way in hell would I chance any weight cutting whether that be diet or water after experiencing renal failure. Risk is too high, imo.

Why not pack on 10-15 pounds and stay at HW where he is already a force and experiencing success? Phone Post
8/31/12 10:35 AM
Ensanity
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier would would push Jones shit in.

1. DC only fights his fight. I can see him standing on the outside, letting Jones pick him apart. He would rush in throwing scary bombs

2. No fear of getting taken down. Great tdd.

3. No one can stop his takedowns.

4. Power to get the job done.

Just .02¢ Phone Post
8/31/12 10:38 AM
Lobo8

Yes please do it. He is good but I dont think he could beat jds or reem but he has a good shot at jones.
8/31/12 10:54 AM
Billyz
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would love to see the fight. Think styalistically its tough as the ridiculous height and reach difference is obvious and Jones can keep anyone at distance. If Cormier can somehow get close enough it would be interesting but thats a big IF.

Rashad said himself he never felt comfortable even attempting a shot and while Cormiers pedigree is way higher we all know its different in the cage

I really dont feel there is a challenge at LHW for Jones simply due to his frame being suited to HW.
But he makes LHW and gets to beat up on everyone and be the champ so what do I know
8/31/12 10:56 AM
91W209
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If DC can successfully make the cut to 205, I think he beats JJ. I think he'd make it look pretty easy. Phone Post
8/31/12 11:00 AM
beanouno
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3rdLion - He should cut to 205, he'd be a force. There's no way Jones is stopping that takedown.
DC's takedown success rate is awful. Its around 37%, it should be alot higher. Phone Post
8/31/12 11:02 AM
T Bag

Wow...people really, really overrate DC's power and MMA takedowns. Maybe it's just wishful thinking
8/31/12 11:20 AM
player101
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really wonder if he can make the cut. When he had to pull out of the Olympics he was cutting down to 211.5 which gave him renal failure. That is fucking BAD.
8/31/12 11:28 AM
markiz

205 and JOnes is a nobrainer for Cormier.

First of all there's Cain at HW and they don't wanna collide with each other (unless Cain drops down himself, which is imo unlikely).

At HW he has the same disadvantage he'd have against Jones size-wise. The difference is Jones can't knock his head clean off like JDS or Ali can.

He's quite chubby, so he'd have to give up pizza. Cuz bet your house on it he eats like crazy. Frame-wise he's balooned up LHW anyway, and a small one.
madmav
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if he did it.. it would be a lifestyle change.. not some massive cut 

that said if he could properly make the weight i would love to see that fight.. 
ChaosOverkill
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

T Bag - Wow...people really, really overrate DC's power and MMA takedowns. Maybe it's just wishful thinking

Did you not see the slam and td on Barnett?

inb4 Barnett is a can or something

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.