UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Alex Davis: Living the effects of 151 cancellation

8/31/12 10:29 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

If Dana White is the controversial heart of Mixed Martial Arts, manager Alex Davis is the sport's conscience. In what is now a must-read continuing series for MMAJunkie, Davis turns his attention towards the cancellation of UFC 151, and the chaos inherent in MMA.

Unpredictability is part of this sport starting from the fight inside the ring, where we have all seen time after time that absolutely anything can happen. How many times have we seen guys that were complete underdogs come out and war – and even win? I don't think there is another sport out there where stories like that happen as much as they do in MMA.

But the unpredictable nature of MMA goes beyond what happens in the ring. It seems the whole sport is like that. I have slowly become accustomed to this, and I am always ready for a different turn in what was planned and supposed to happen versus what actually transpires.

This week, I am watching and living the effects of the cancellation of UFC 151, and I'm dealing with all of the fallout for everyone involved. This is a difficult sport to manage and handle. Guys sometimes get hurt, and recently that seems to happen all the time. But not only that, fighters are fighters, and they have certain characteristics which are just part of who they are, and on a daily basis that spills into what is supposed to happen and what actually happens.

When you work as a manager in MMA, what you are doing essentially is managing risk. Looking at it in that way, I think it was very unfortunate that Jon Jones elected not to fight Chael Sonnen. It's been well-documented that Sonnen was not training for a fight, and Jones' risk in fighting Sonnen would seem smaller than he would have faced fighting Dan Henderson. And you simply can't deny the negative effects that Jones' decision to decline Sonnen had on a lot of other people. Taking that into account, I really think he should have fought.

Risk and unpredictability will always loom large over every moment of a fighter's career. It's only his heart that can carry a fighter through his most difficult tests.

Read entire article...

8/31/12 11:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FUTA WON (c)
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Risk and unpredictability are both key factors in MMA. They are simply part of battle – part of combat and war. If you are not ready and willing to deal with those factors and face the potential outcomes, you are in the wrong sport. Life, to some extent, is the same way. You can plan as much as you want, but that doesn't mean the future will play out the way you intended it. Multiply that by 10, and you have MMA."

Very very true. Alex Davis is awesome.
8/31/12 11:11 AM
epwar
538 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And you simply can't deny the negative effects that White's decision to cancel the event had on a lot of other people.

Fixed for Mr. Davis.
8/31/12 1:20 PM
Fabefromfort
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I certainly would have fought. Others wouldn't have. That is neither here , not there, at the moment, and a mute point. As a fan I wouldn't have bothered watching it, much less buy it (Sonnen just got poe-axed at 20 pounds lighter ). Whats this ?!! He just repeated what everbody said for the last week. And, he is the conscience of the sport ? Lessons learned: Spruce up the cards, keep substitutes ready, be prepared for all.
8/31/12 1:36 PM
Kirik
2024 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
FUTA WON (c) - "Risk and unpredictability are both key factors in MMA. They are simply part of battle – part of combat and war. If you are not ready and willing to deal with those factors and face the potential outcomes, you are in the wrong sport. Life, to some extent, is the same way. You can plan as much as you want, but that doesn't mean the future will play out the way you intended it. Multiply that by 10, and you have MMA."

Very very true. Alex Davis is awesome.

Alex Davis is the best
8/31/12 8:59 PM
Authority Figure

It rubs me wrong to hear a manager insinuate that a fighter, who is probably one of the best in the western hemisphere, may be in the wrong sport because he doesn't take the kind of risk "he" thinks is customary for the sport. Jones' manager could write an article too. So could everyone that backed his decision.

This "pile on" mentality is a bit old. Militech said it best the UFC is shooting itself in the foot letting all these people bad mouth their next big meal ticket. And it's embarassing to the sport to see people throw a guy under the bus who had no idea the event might be canceled in the first place.

Not one journalist or manager or fighter has had the courage to say "how do you manage a billionaire dollar company, but only have 3 fighters that can carry a card? And not all 3 fighters are even from the same division?!" Now I'd love to hear a manager speak on that. Oh wait, that's a "risk" no manager is willing to take - even in a sport as "unpredictable as MMA". smh.
8/31/12 9:11 PM
Attila
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"This "pile on" mentality is a bit old."

This isn't a "pile on" - it's 99% of people agreeing on something that is obvious.

I couldn't agree more with Davis.
9/1/12 5:44 AM
Brian J DSouza

Another interesting point is that if Zuffa were to decrease the total number of PPV shows, it would mean fewer big fights, and less exposure for the UFC roster. More guys would be cut or others would get fewer fights (and fewer paydays).

So the fans themselves can be attacked for not supporting fighters by arguing against an over-saturated PPV market full of weak cards.

9/1/12 11:55 AM
Authority Figure

Attila - "This "pile on" mentality is a bit old."

This isn't a "pile on" - it's 99% of people agreeing on something that is obvious.

It's great that you agree with him, but you're in no position to gauge how millions of fans across the entire planet feel about the situation.

When I say "pile on" mentality I'm suggesting that "yes, yes, you're pissed. You've made your case. You've vilified the guy for a week. Now move the fuck on to a new topic."
9/1/12 12:29 PM
Authority Figure

Zed Wayne Zed - Sorry, don't care.

I mean, yes it is sad, but does this dude care that my company got bought out last wek and I might be out a job in two months? No, he won't.

The fight game is a rollercoaster, deal with it.

Perhaps this is the real problem. Empathy. No one seems to care about anyone else's troubles.
9/1/12 4:59 PM
LucasBTiger
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was just about to say this. Amen.

It's funny that, because 9/10 folks feel that JJ was wrong, the other 1 says that we are "ganging up" on him. When this many people feel this way, it's not "piling on"... It's nearly a fucking consensus.
9/1/12 5:01 PM
LucasBTiger
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - Sorry, don't care.

I mean, yes it is sad, but does this dude care that my company got bought out last wek and I might be out a job in two months? No, he won't.

The fight game is a rollercoaster, deal with it.

I am truly sorry about your job... and anyone who is having trouble with theirs. But, your mindset is spoiled, in this regard.

If I had less empathy... I'd say, "Would you like some bread with your bitter."
9/1/12 5:52 PM
Smellde Gluve
613 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LucasBTiger - 

I was just about to say this. Amen.

It's funny that, because 9/10 folks feel that JJ was wrong, the other 1 says that we are "ganging up" on him. When this many people feel this way, it's not "piling on"... It's nearly a fucking consensus.

Hitler worship was the "consensus" in Nazi Germany.

Did that make it right?

9/1/12 5:56 PM
JetSetter

I need to be banned from this damn site. It's like a train wreck that I keep looking at cause I can't believe what I'm seeing.

Jon Jones is fighting 3 and 4 times a year against the baddest men on Earth and that's not enough for you guys. He's demolished everyone put in his way and now he's afraid of Chael big mouth Sonnen who's only strength is his trolling.

I have news for you. Now that Jones is at a point in his career like Anderson silva is, they don't need to take ANY fight unless they know it's gonna do HUGE PPV numbers. They've earned that right and that's good risk management. Phone Post
9/1/12 6:05 PM
Smellde Gluve
613 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure - It rubs me wrong to hear a manager insinuate that a fighter, who is probably one of the best in the western hemisphere, may be in the wrong sport because he doesn't take the kind of risk "he" thinks is customary for the sport. Jones' manager could write an article too. So could everyone that backed his decision.

This "pile on" mentality is a bit old. Militech said it best the UFC is shooting itself in the foot letting all these people bad mouth their next big meal ticket. And it's embarassing to the sport to see people throw a guy under the bus who had no idea the event might be canceled in the first place.

Not one journalist or manager or fighter has had the courage to say "how do you manage a billionaire dollar company, but only have 3 fighters that can carry a card? And not all 3 fighters are even from the same division?!" Now I'd love to hear a manager speak on that. Oh wait, that's a "risk" no manager is willing to take - even in a sport as "unpredictable as MMA". smh.

You got it right.

Never read anything by the guy before but that was horrible.

First he says we've seen underdogs go in and win.

Then he disregards a fighters wish to be as prepared as possible for the actual opponent he's about to face?

It baffles me when people as experienced as this guy get it so wrong.
9/1/12 6:06 PM
BertR

Perhaps Davis should have focused more on managing the risk of Zuffa putting on a paper-thin card where one match makes-or-breaks the event.

Jones deciding to fight or not fight is his decision and should be respected, otherwise you want to create emotionally unhealthy enmeshments where others are guilted into submitting to do what they feel is not in the best interest for their career.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.