UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Geek ground WRITER challenge

8/31/12 1:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RedDragonUK
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A lot of emphasis goes on artists on here partly my fault (sorry chaps) so I've decided to set a challenge for the writers of the Geek ground.

This isnt an easy challenge and I will understand if I don't get any bites. The challenge is to write a 3 page story with NO DIALOGUE.

Much like the unlettered versions Marvel releases on occasion.

This isn't completely un self serving as I'd like for my portfolio a 3 page DC comic and a 3 page Marvel comic and a 3 page team story. So I will be (with your permission) be illustrating the best ones. The others that dont get picked we can do a SEQUENTIAL Art challenge in future and get them illustrated then.

Remember this has to have a beginning, middle and end and have no words. For that reason,you're probably best not having any be splash pages but thats up to you. I will also do a cover for each story I use.

The story you choose to do HAS to be either Marvel, DC or a team book of either (e.g Fantastic four or Team Titans) and within the realms of those universes, so no Superman joins the circus or anything like that.

If you have any questions let me know. This is the Joe Quesada method of putting a portfolio together so I'm not totally mad.

The stories I choose will have your details attached the same as mine so you will get exposed to each editor I pitch to.

If you guys want to discuss what characters you are choosing so we dont get any duplicates then go for it. It would be best to have main stage characters like Superman, Hulk, x men etc rather than Squirrel girl or paste pot pete just because editors like to see that as far as I can tell.

Anyway I hope some of you pick up the gauntlet I've thrown down and good luck to you.
8/31/12 1:54 PM
paw
1414 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh HELL yes!

Do you have a deadline you need things by?

8/31/12 2:00 PM
Honald_Heagan
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm very interested, although completely inexperienced. Phone Post
8/31/12 2:11 PM
Stickgrappler
1562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sounds cool! good luck to the GGers!

---------

i can't draw nor write.

but if i were to write, it would be Juggernaut vs the Marvel Universe
8/31/12 2:28 PM
johnnypayne
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will be in on this, be prepared for quite a bit of detail work if mine wins through.
8/31/12 2:45 PM
Mumbly Joe
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are these good examples of script pages?

Roughly how many panels per page?

Are there any characters you love/hate to draw?
8/31/12 3:59 PM
RedDragonUK
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Theres no deadline but id like to start as soon as possible but dont rush it id rather we had some great material than rushed.

Thats a good example of a script I will post a page from Black and Blue when I get chance so you can see what Im used too.

Add as much detail as you like guys and I can work Marvel style or regular its not a problem.

As for panels just do more than one lol. Just remember its three pages but also squishing 13 panels per page wont work either this has to flow and look interesting.

As for characters theres nobody I dont like drawing. Id like to do a powerhouse maybe Hulk but im equally excited about someone like Daredevil or Taskmaster.

Im on my phone so hope I got all the questions. So glad we have so many talented writers here. Phone Post
8/31/12 6:10 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a great idea about Superman joining the... oh... damn.
8/31/12 11:47 PM
bcolflesh
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Action_Comics_Vol_1_7
9/1/12 1:05 AM
BIGWHITESEXY
1100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HMM
9/1/12 9:00 AM
ec
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/01/12 10:03 AM
The story I'm writing for this has some newspaper clippings in one panel, is that OK? If not feel free to work around it when I submit my script. Give me another hour or so, one page down, three to go.

EDIT~ I originally thought it was supposed to be four pages. No worries, I cut it down.
9/1/12 9:06 AM
ec
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

By the way, I chose Batman, if anyone else was thinking of doing him.
9/1/12 10:03 AM
ec

OK, finished. Should I upload it somewhere? I can post it in the thread and people can see what you work off of (if you decide to use this, of course), or, if you'd rather keep it to yourself before deciding, I can email it to you. Let me know!
9/1/12 10:53 AM
RedDragonUK

Ec feel free to post it here if you want to but could you also send it to markcage81@googlemail.com

Plus your details you want me too attach.

I can keep them on file that way. I love Batman great choice. Cheers Phone Post
9/1/12 11:00 AM
ec

Sent!
9/1/12 11:13 AM
ec

For anyone who wants to read the script I wrote:

BATMAN: THOSE LEFT BEHIND (I didn't realize there was already a Serenity comic called that, sorry)

docs.google.com/open

I've never written a script before, and this took about two hours, including brainstorming. I can't imagine having to do a full 22 page book!

If you're an artist, feel free to draw it! I'd love to see it drawn, even if RDUK decides not to.
9/1/12 3:38 PM
MrAmericanJiuJitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DUDE! I've totally been thinking about this story set pre-DCnU, where Ra's Al Ghul gets some sort of fucking godlike Thanos power, and somehow Joker steals it from him at the very beginning. Batman tells the Superman that he can handle the Joker, and Superman tells the JL to stay out of it. The story focuses on younger super heros that just don't truly realize how fucking awesome Batman is. People like  Superboy, Static Shock, and Stargirl don't think Batman can stop someone so powerful with no superpowers. To make matters worse, they have Green Arrow spurring them on and leading them into a Joker trap. The story ends with Batman saving the trio and still beating Joker eventhough those stupid kids got in the way.
9/2/12 3:10 AM
MickColins
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would we be provided with credit for the story and copies for our own writing portfolio?
9/2/12 5:16 AM
RedDragonUK

Thanks EC.

Mick you will get credit alongside mine. I put the writer and artist on the first page and at the end of the portfolio i have emails and details of myself and writers i used.

Its going to be sent via digital means and printed out in A4 format so i can take it to conventions. Phone Post
9/2/12 5:17 AM
RedDragonUK

Mr American jujitsu lol if you can fit that in three pages go for it. Sounds epic. Phone Post
9/2/12 9:31 AM
Kneeblock
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff EC!
9/2/12 10:18 AM
BLACK and BLUE Comic

MMA Comic Book, Creator
 Mark asked me to post a page from B&B for anyone who may be wrestling with format. The style I use is designed to maximize ease of writing while providing all the necessary info to the artist. A lot of writers use a screenplay based style, owing mostly to the easy accessiblity of screenwriting software, but I prefer this format due to the fact that (IMO) it flows a bit better.

Here's a couple sample pages from a recent script with a fairly rigid 9 grid structure and then a looser structure. I generally write in all caps to make the letterer's job easier and the numbers next to the names indicate the order of the balloon placements. Obviously this particular challenge necessitates no dialogue, so that little tidbit isn't too important. The numbers next to the descriptions indicate the page and panel number in an easy shorthand.

9/2/12 10:22 AM
BLACK and BLUE Comic

MMA Comic Book, Creator
PAGE 15

9 grid structure.

15/1: Francina shoves Tomas out the door despite his protestations.

1 Francina: JUST GO! CHECK! I'M NOT DOING IT WITHOUT A CONDOM.

2 Tomas: FUCK, OKAY! FINE! I'M GOING! JESUS! WHICH ONE IS IT?

3 Francina: THE ONE ON THE LEFT WITH THE STUPID HOUSE OF PAIN POSTER.

15/2: Knock together panel 2 and 3 in the grid to form one bigger panel. Tomas is standing at the doorway to Francisco's room. We're shooting from the inside looking at Tomas framed in the doorway as with his right hand on the doorknob as he's just pushed the door open. His left hand flicks the switch to turn the light on. The room is a complete mess with pizza boxes and clothing on the floor. There's a small 20 inch old fashioned 90s era television with a Sega Genesis hooked up to it on the floor in one corner of the room. The bed consists of an unmade mattress with no box spring lying on the floor. The fitted sheet is coming off at the corner. There are a few posters on the wall like Dr. Dre's famous "Nothin' But a G Thang" single cover: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:G_thang.jpg, a poster of WWF star Razor Ramon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019K9ZRE/, and let's also put a poster of some swimsuit model or other on the wall. The roaches are in sight in this room.

4 s/FX: KLK

5 Tomas: THIS IS SOME BULLSHIT...

15/3: Tomas is holding up a Youngblood #1 comic (an homage to your favorite artist!) he found in the room and calling over his shoulder to Francina.

6 Tomas: WHERE SHOULD I LOOK ANYWAY?!

7 Francina: CHECK THE TOP DRAWER OF THE DRESSER! THAT'S WHERE HE KEEPS MOST OF HIS SHIT!

15/4: Tomas is standing in front of the now open top drawer, sifting around. Shoot from the top of the dresser looking directly at Tomas.

8 Tomas: DAMN, DON'T THIS NIGGA WASH HIS SOCKS?

9 Tomas: DEMO TAPE? HA! FUCKIN IDIOT. REAR VIEW MAGAZINE? NICE. MAYBE ON THE OTHER SIDE?

15/5: Swing around to a side shot. Tomas is standing at the dresser drawer aghast looking down inside it. We can't see what he's looking at.

10 Tomas: ...SHIT.

15/6: Hold angle. Tomas lifts up a Glock 9mm handgun from inside the drawer. He holds it up by the handle between his two fingertips, but like a dead rat. He looks frightened.

15/7: Hold angle. Tomas has replaced the gun and is pushing in the drawer. He looks spooked.

15/8: Hold angle on the closed dresser. Tomas is gone and we're just looking at the empty space beside the dresser.
9/2/12 10:23 AM
BLACK and BLUE Comic

MMA Comic Book, Creator
PAGE 16

16/1: Cut back to Francina's room. She's sitting cross-legged on the bed as Tomas comes in the door, looking like he's seen a ghost.

1 Francina: DID YOU FIND ANY?

2 Tomas: UH, NO. NO, HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY.

16/2: Tomas is sitting next to Francina on the bed looking away. Francina looks down, sort of disappointed but relieved.

3 Francina: OH.

16/3: Francina looks like an idea has just occurred to her. Tomas scratches the back of his neck uncomfortably.

4 Francina: WELL, LET'S DO SOMETHING ELSE THEN.

16/4: Francina reaches under her bed and pulls out a shoebox. No words.

16/5: From Francina's POV. We see her open hand reaching out holding a joint and lighter as the open shoebox sits on the bed to her right, empty now. There's a single old sneaker (or trainers I guess you call them) sitting beside the shoebox. Across from her outstretched arm is Tomas, incredulous, but keep it reined in. I'd use the bulk of the page for this panel, but it's up to you.

5 Francina: TOMA.
9/2/12 2:46 PM
MrAmericanJiuJitsu

RedDragonUK -  Mr American jujitsu lol if you can fit that in three pages go for it. Sounds epic. Phone Post

Lol, I don't think I'll be able to do that. I was just stoned and I'd been thinking of that story and I saw this thread. I'm definitely going to have to turn something into you though. I'm thinking of something like a Dick Grayson sabbatical into the woods or something

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.