UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> Gorilla Fight Gear Thai Pads

8/31/12 11:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dim Sum Punch
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi again gear aficionados! This review is on Gorilla Fight Gear's Apeman Quick Strike Thai Pads. This is another piece of equipment I won in the gear giveaway a while back. This pair of Thai Pads form GFG is designed to be a versatile pair of pads with MMA training in mind. Lighter, thinner, and more maneuverable than traditional Thai Pads, these Quick Strike Pads are meant to be a great fit for any combat sport. They are $109.00 and can be bought directly from GFG here; www.gorillagear.ca

Manufacturer's Specs
•1.3mm thick and hard Cowhide leather
•Thick Cotton laces for greater durability
•Sleek contoured shape which surprisingly offers 4inches of padding for your arms.
•Super light weight so as a pad holder you can move them at a lighting fast pace and never burn out your shoulders before he round is over.
•Slimmer contoured contact surface to make sure your making contact with you shin with each and every kick.
•Buckle style velcro closures for a quick and secure fit that will prevent the pads from shifting while taking heavy kicks
•All handles and straps are double cross stitched to the pads for longer durability

Initial Impressions
The first thing I noticed about these pads was how light they are, they almost feel like they are hollow! The leather is good quality and is soft shiny with the Gorilla logo on the front. The striking surface is really firm and after slapping my palm against it is seemed much harder that other Thai Pads I have used. When you press on the pad you can feel that the top layer of foam is a very firm one, not one I have seen used before. It is my guess that this foam is a big contributor to what makes these pads so darn light. The spine of the pad has a very soft layer to protect your forearms and to make the pad more comfortable to the wearer. The pads also have nice long straps with double "D" rings as opposed to the terrible left over right straps that some Thai Pads have.

The Dirty Details
Time to go over the construction with a fine toothed comb in this section. First the leather, these pads are made of a 100% cowhide leather shell, handle, and straps. It is soft and smooth and has that rich leather smell. The pads are mostly black with light gray sides. The handles are firm and packed tight which beats soft handles any day. The handles are attached with four rivets each side and double XX stitching to ensure they stay attached throughout the life of the pad. The straps are attached much of the same way minus the rivets. One cool thing I noticed was a nylon strap sewn inside the leather loops that hold the metal "D" rings to protect from wear and tear. These Pads feature a padded spine that runs the length of the pad and I believe it is made from fiber fill or softer foam or something of that nature. The stitching on my pair of pads is good with no loose ends or skipped areas but I do have to not that it is not entirely straight.

This less than straight cut and contrasting filling leaves some ripples and empty areas in the back side (holder's side) of the pads. It also gives the pads have an appearance of not being full mostly in the corner areas. I do have a theory as to why though, most Thai pads have the front and sides of the shell sewn together with the back piece being attached by a "shoelace" type material. The Quick Strike Pads are completely sewn with the padding being loaded in though a slit that is then laced shut in the same style as traditional pads. This is a very minor aesthetic complaint, and one that I really would not be making if I was not doing an in depth review but I felt the need to mention it none the less. It just appears that the shell is a little too big for the padding that fills it but other than that these pads are beautifully made and seem like they will last for a long time.

But How Do They Perform?
First I will go over what it is like to hit the pads, I was actually pretty apprehensive about kicking them full force right from the get go just because they seemed so hard. I love using my Top Kings and those are some firm pads but these have a different type of foam that really felt like a hard cover book. I decided to just go for it and when I threw my first kick I was really surprised at how good it felt. I was expecting good sting at least on the top of my foot but nothing, it felt great. I really started to lay into the pads and the more I hit them the better it felt. Each blow landed clean with a satisfying thunderous clap. Punches and elbows felt great too, no jamming my wrists at all and no knuckle pain after several rounds. Sometime during the session the consistency of the pads changed from seemingly hard to firm and spongy. I asked my holder what he thought of them and he was very receptive, he said there was no forearm pain and they were easy to maneuver and hold. Hitting these pads was awesome and they gave my holder the ability to feed and catch without fumbling.

On the other side if the pads I found them to be just as likable. The handles are nice and hard and did not buckle and crush/ pinch my fingers at all. The long straps let you cinch down tight or keep em loose, and they should fit those with thick forearms as well. I was too impressed at how fast I could maneuver the pads from punches/ elbows to knees and kicks as well as flip the pads around to clinch or to shoot a double leg. Once on the ground it is easy to flip them back around for some GnP work as well. These pads absorb shock nicely from all strikes and from all angles despite only being a couple of inches thick. Since they are so light you can still do quite a bit of boxing work without having to switch to focus mitts. Obviously for speed and precision drills you will still switch but you can let your partner rip power shots all day long without feeling the abuse on your wrists and shoulders. I have absolutely no complaints about the performance of these pads. I have not held for any monster size humans but I venture to say they would perform pretty well even with people who can kick like mules.

Final Thoughts
These Thai Pads are marketed as an MMA geared pad and that is well stated. With such multi faceted needs for the dynamic sport these pads offer the ability to fill those needs with ease. Of course you could use standard size Thai Pads to do all I have mentioned but the weight and size of these coupled with the protection and performance makes the job easier and less cumbersome. For MMA or for strictly standup if you prefer lighter pads these will certainly not leave you wanting. Overall they have a few minor cosmetic flaws but they are an awesome set of Thai Pads that are really fun to use and as much as I hate to say it I find myself grabbing these more often than my beloved Top Kings check ‘em out!

8/31/12 11:47 PM
Dim Sum Punch
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/31/12 11:48 PM
Dim Sum Punch

8/31/12 11:49 PM
Dim Sum Punch

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.