UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Torn Meniscus Recovery Time?

9/1/12 12:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheRealJoker
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hurt my knee in an MMA fight last Saturday. Doctor says he thinks it is a torn meniscus. I will be having an MRI next week and if torn surgery soon after. I am 25 with no prior knee injuiries. Is 4-6 weeks before boxing feasible? 6-8 weeks before light rolling?

What would you recommend I do to stay in shape in the meantime?
9/4/12 1:46 PM
CanadaGirl
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey, sorry to hear about your knee :(

The recovery time depends on the size and location of the tear and if any other structures are injured also (ACL, etc.) I tore mine 2 years ago and since it was the middle 1/3 I had to have a portioned removed. I was back on the mats 8 weeks after the scope surgery.

If the tear is small or on the outer section (which has better blood supply) it may not need a scope to fix it and then the recovery may be shorter.......in summary, wait for the results of the MRI to know the amount of time off.

I'd recommend swimming or anything low impact you're comfortable with till you get your MRI results. good luck!
9/4/12 10:34 PM
TheRealJoker
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CanadaGirl - Hey, sorry to hear about your knee :(

The recovery time depends on the size and location of the tear and if any other structures are injured also (ACL, etc.) I tore mine 2 years ago and since it was the middle 1/3 I had to have a portioned removed. I was back on the mats 8 weeks after the scope surgery.

If the tear is small or on the outer section (which has better blood supply) it may not need a scope to fix it and then the recovery may be shorter.......in summary, wait for the results of the MRI to know the amount of time off.

I'd recommend swimming or anything low impact you're comfortable with till you get your MRI results. good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. MRI is on Saturday... in the meantime i'm stuck doing the stationary bike :-(
9/10/12 10:15 PM
TheRealJoker

The MRI results are in and it looks like I have a partially torn MCL. No surgery thankfully, but the doc says no training for 4 more weeks and do low impact stuff like riding a bike to get my cardio in.
9/12/12 1:11 AM
EdgeHoboken
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheRealJoker - The MRI results are in and it looks like I have a partially torn MCL. No surgery thankfully, but the doc says no training for 4 more weeks and do low impact stuff like riding a bike to get my cardio in.

Battle Ropes, Bikes (airdynes), swimming, arm bikes if you have access for cardio.

Heat before workout. Ice post workout, 20 minutes- preferably wrap the ice bag with a syran type wrap to hold it tight on the knee. And ice again mid afternoon, 2 hours before workout. Good luck and heal quickly
9/24/12 5:32 PM
renatolaranjabjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

scope is the best thing, mines been bothering me for 4 months, cant squad really low, or other leg compensantes, basically i cant wrestle. not healing though and did physio and rehab. waiting for mri results but im sure i need surgery
10/10/12 6:16 PM
TheMessiah

I'm having surgery on the 26th of this month. Lateral Meniscus. they will do a scope surgery removing some of my meniscus since it is non repairable.

How long were some of you out of work?

I work at a job where climbing ladders and stairs is an all the time thing.

10/11/12 6:51 AM
dojo stormer

im at 2 months after surgery, i stand all day for work and that's slowed down the recovery.

i started rolling again after 4 weeks and it's been coming along as well as could be expected.

still have some pain in the knee though and i ice everyday still as the knee blows up from standing all day.

recovery time differs for all people. it depends on how much they take out, what you do for work, how hard and serious you take rehab.

10/11/12 11:09 AM
TheMessiah

K. Yeah I'm on my feet about 9 out of the 12 hrs I work. Mainly more. According to my dr. He said 7 days at most I would be out. Hoping for quick recovery not only for work but I'm ready to get on the mat. Phone Post
10/18/12 9:06 AM
dojo stormer

oh and i was back at work the next day after surgery, fucking standing on it for 10 hours wasnt enjoyable but you gotta do what you gotta do.
10/20/12 5:08 AM
TheMessiah

I hear you man. Sounds like I will be released for light duty but there is no such thing as light duty where I work.. I'm hoping being off 2 weeks helps me get full release since I decided not to take medical leave and just use vacation. Phone Post
10/27/12 2:08 AM
TheMessiah

Surgery went well today.. Pain has been rough most of the night even with pain killers. Phone Post
10/29/12 7:19 AM
dojo stormer

hey for all those ppl who have had menisus surgery, how long was it before u could get full range of motion in your knee?

im at 3 months and i still have problems sitting on my heels.so when im in someones guard, my butt cant touch my heels on the side i had the injury

i've asked a bunch of guys who have had the injury and my physio also says it depends on how you were before the injury. like if you were a yoga type flexible guy, you shouldnt have any issues to get full range back.

some other guys said even after 2 years they felt pressure and tightness in the knee when fully bent.

fuck, it just sucks as im starting to train harder now but it's sort of still limiting my mobility.
10/29/12 7:24 PM
TheMessiah

Ill let you know in a month.. I was told my full strength would be back In a month. I started rehab today which consisted of stretches and light exercises. My knee as of right now still pops and locks up. Hopefully this will pass Phone Post
11/17/12 7:48 AM
dojo stormer

how's the knee messiah?

mine was feeling really good about 2 weeks ago and then i got it fully bent at training and that really fucked it.

the past few days it's gotten back to feeling really good again.

but as my ortho said, my healing will be delayed as i'm standing for over 10 hours a day. anyway, keep this thread updated with any tips you have.

i still ice every night. it makes my knee feel really good.
11/28/12 10:16 AM
CanadaGirl

Hey guys, I'd say I was 100% at BJJ after 4-6 months. BJJ has really not been kind to my body in the last 5 years......*sigh* Good luck
11/30/12 5:45 AM
dojo stormer

going to see physio again on monday, knee has been playing up.

really annoying as i still can't train hard and can't do certain positions.

12/26/12 6:53 AM
dojo stormer

so the knee has improved a lot the past few weeks.

getting more strength in the leg and more range. still cant sit on the heel on the bad side still but its getting better.

how is everyone else going?
1/4/13 8:44 PM
BrianASF
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had two seperate surgeries to repair the meniscus in my right knee back in 2009. I went through about a year of physical therapy all together but never regained full range of motion. The doctor pretty much just said that my knee will never be 100% and to just keep training and remember my limits.

A couple months ago my knee began to catch and pop again. Had an MRI a couple weeks ago. This time the meniscus is shredded and I have arthritis in my knee.

Glad to see others that havent given up training after being injured!
1/5/13 5:35 AM
dojo stormer

brianasf, so u need to go in again to trim the meniscus this time?

i'm assuming they stitched it up the first time. i had a friend who had his meniscus stitched and the recovery took much longer.

the arthritis is something i don't want to know right now.

finally was able to sit on my butt the other week, but it wasn't comfortable.

nearly 5 months since the surgery. damn this thing is taking a long time.
1/5/13 7:56 AM
TheMessiah

I did my month post surgery physical therapy everything went good. Full range of motion was back, only issue was my knee constantly is popping loud. Orthopedic said it would go away in time but no locking up yet. Still not allowed to run do to impact on the knee. Slowly getting back in to training the last two/three weeks. Catching open mats and class when I can. I feel my knee is about 80% and after a day or two of training in a row my knee is about 40% and needs rest. I just ordered and received in the mail a knee brace I'm going to try out. Cliff keen airbrace which is highly recommended for BJJ for knee injuries.

I will be trying it out Tuesday night when I get a few days off from work to go the mats.

Hope the knees are doing good and healing properly. Phone Post
1/8/13 11:55 AM
BrianASF
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dojo stormer, you're right, they did stitch it up the first two times and now this time they will just trim the shreds away. From what I was told the recovery time will be a lot faster than after having the repair/revision.

TheMessiah, I experienced a lot of popping and cruching too when I first got back to training. I was told that it was just scar tissue. I also ordered the Cliff Keen airbrace a couple weeks back. Just waiting for it to come in so I can give it a try.
1/9/13 2:45 AM
TheMessiah

I Believe I re tore my knee tonight training. doing some half guard drills and knee locked up on me, then came the nice pop. I did some rolls at the end of class and it still was locking in place just had to watch how I was bending/twisting.. Swelled some as well. Going to be a bit devastated if it did tear, since I'm just getting back into it since surgery Phone Post
1/9/13 5:10 AM
dojo stormer

see the surgeon as soon as you can. i had a nice ball of fluid on my knee that freaked me out. i went and saw the doc the next day. ended up being normal and it slowly went.

i've luckily haven't had any locking issues.
1/14/13 10:31 AM
TheMessiah

Well ortho said he doesn't think I retore my meniscus and believes its my knee cap shifting an locking up. Wants me to start doing quad and hamstring strength exercises.. If it keeps happening will do an MRI again. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.