UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Actor's workouts

9/1/12 5:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AdamUK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For years I've been following 3-day a week workout plans and follow a lot of the principals from the Beyond Brawn book by Stuart McRobert which was recommended to me by various people on here a long time ago.

However, I'm always intrigued to hear whenever a new blockbuster action movie comes out, the actors always say that they work out intensively 5-6 times a week (the latest I read was Colin Farrell in Total Recall) to get in shape.

I'm interested in your views: What is the the recommended method these days for building muscle? 2-3 days a week or 5-6 days a week?
9/1/12 5:22 AM
CDarwin
756 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In.

(I just changed things up and go 3-4 instead of 4-5, and want to listen in here...)
9/1/12 7:41 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It depends on several factors; the best plan is the one you actually follow.
9/1/12 7:52 AM
CDarwin
756 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK, let's assume we follow any plan.

What other factors are there that need to be factored in?
9/1/12 8:07 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Genetic potential, lifestyle, training history, etc.
9/1/12 9:09 AM
Crw
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always put this down to the fact they the time and money . They can afford the best nutrition, coaches and they don't have to worry about work etc . Phone Post
9/1/12 9:21 AM
AdamUK

Thanks for the responses guys. I understand the fact that they have more time and can afford the best coaches etc, but does that mean for an average joe who eats very clean, has plenty of rest but doesn't take any extra supplements a 3-day a week routine is still the best option?
9/1/12 9:26 AM
CDarwin

Days is one thing, but the real question imo is how many sets per week.

Are we comparing 

20 sets per workout 3 times per week

vs

14 sets per workout 4 times per week?

Or what?
9/1/12 9:32 AM
AdamUK

Good point, I was presuming same amount of sets per day so an overall increase in sets if training more days a week.
9/1/12 9:40 AM
Seul
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I limit myself to 3 days a week, any more always seems to lessen the gains (be it strength, size, or skill). Trial and error proves this to be best for me; erring on the side of caution and having MORE recovery time gives me more of a margin of error if I'm not great with my diet/sleep/recovery.

Leigh was kind enough to talk about his MMA training once a few years back and mentioned he only trains 3x/week for extra recovery, so I started experimenting with it a lot myself and found it was a lot better for me (I in fact usually only do 2 "hard" days, and one light/medium-ish day a week). As Leigh said it would at the time, the extra recovery time goes a long way towards keeping me pain-free, fresh, and free from injury.

I'm sure other people can do a lot more without problems, and perhaps if I could be micromanaged by a trainer I could do more without suffering. I share your interest, though, it's always interesting to hear what the hollywood types do when they need results by a certain time.

I've noticed that most of the old "physical culture" era training manuals recommend 3x a week for non-professionals (and few of them recommend more than 4, even for a profesisonal lifter), but almost every single one of the lifters/wrestlers of that time who were famous enough to have anything written down about them are said to have lifted 5-6x/week.

Do some experiments on yourself to see which you like more, it's always fun.
9/1/12 11:00 AM

One of the reasons that elite athletes are elite is that they can handle the kind of volume it takes to be elite.
9/1/12 12:04 PM
daddyfatsacks
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't forget they have access to test, hgh, and whatever else their trainer recommends. Christian Bale and Tom Hardy for example.
9/1/12 4:37 PM
torquemada
283 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every time I see an actor's routine, all I can think about is HGH and a personal chef.
9/1/12 6:06 PM
HERTSWENIP
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/01/12 6:07 PM
By manipulating volume, eccentric components, movement selection etc per workout. you can adjust your trainig frequency. Less volume/eccentric component, the more often you can train.

Or if you do a bodybuilder type one-part per day, you could also train more often ie monday left calf, right bicep, tuesday right quad, weds right calf left bicep.... ok I'm joking with that training split, but you get the idea.

Also, I think many actors will hype up the amount of training they do.

Training volume is limited by your recovery capacity, and failure to respect that results in negative gains.

When I was at my training peak, I was training 6 days per week in a conjugate periodization program, 5 of those involved weights, the other day was just active recovery.
9/1/12 8:13 PM
Ayatolla of Rock and Rolla
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I workout 6-7 days a week, but I am currently in Afghanistan, so my free time options are limited. Pretty much my options are the internet, bootleg dvds, or go to the gym. I usually do 3 days of weights and 3-4 days of cardio.
9/2/12 4:24 AM
Leigh
830 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I was an actor looking to build muscle, I would probably lift 3 times a week and stack gH with a small amount of test, then do a small cut for the days I'm filming without a shirt on Phone Post
9/2/12 5:54 AM
banco

I think Stuart Mcrobert (at least in his later work) went overboard with his fear of overtraining.
9/2/12 2:13 PM
snakepitz
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recall speaking with Gerard Butler and he was telling me how he was not seeing the results he wanted doing the tire flipping and sledgehammer type routine they had the cast do for 300 and he would do another typical bodybuilding session in the evening as he was super motivated

He said he was never more unhappy in his life and very sore and always irritable lol.

Clearly he was overtrained...I dont recall what his nutrition was though...he did tell me too
9/2/12 10:01 PM
jkd_guy
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never understood why trainers have acters do "functional" training. The actors have to just LOOK good. They don't actually have to be able to perform. Phone Post
9/3/12 12:02 AM
GNPfan
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try doing the Spartacus workout and see what type of results you get. I never tried it, thinking about giving it a go as it has spiked my curiosity.
9/3/12 12:05 AM
william795
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For the sole purpose of getting "buff", nothing has ever worked better for me than a bodybuilding split of chest/tri, back bi, legs, 2x a week. M,T,W,TH,F,S, rest Sun. 4 sets of 12 reps, 1 min rests. Add weight when you get all 4 sets.

Nothing that I've tried gains muscle for me quicker. It's not the best for strength or conditioning, but for muscle it is (for me).

People can say it's over-training, but for me, my body adapts. I switch it up a lot for conditioning or strength purposes, but I know that in 3 weeks time of doing that program that I can be noticeably bigger(where people comment).

And I guess for what it's worth, I don't see very good muscle increases from more power based programs (starting strength, 5/3/1, 5x5). Good strength, though.
9/4/12 7:05 PM
BLPorritt
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbin Phone Post
9/5/12 5:07 AM
banco

jkd_guy -  I never understood why trainers have acters do "functional" training. The actors have to just LOOK good. They don't actually have to be able to perform. Phone Post

I suspect it's often easier to get the actors to do the workouts if you make them sound unusual. Plus if they are on roids or whatever any kind of half sensible workout will work.
9/5/12 9:28 AM
Outkaster
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember when Christopher Reeves was training for Superman II David Prowse was feeding him protein shakes every hour or something like that.
9/5/12 10:37 AM
vermonter
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

snakepitz - I recall speaking with Gerard Butler and he was telling me how he was not seeing the results he wanted doing the tire flipping and sledgehammer type routine they had the cast do for 300 and he would do another typical bodybuilding session in the evening as he was super motivated

He said he was never more unhappy in his life and very sore and always irritable lol.

Clearly he was overtrained...I dont recall what his nutrition was though...he did tell me too

Huh... I could swear i recall GJ saying Butler never stepped foot in there for the workout the other actors did. He had his own trainer already, and stuck with that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.