UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Actor's workouts

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/5/12 10:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vermonter
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/05/12 10:41 AM
Also, FWIW Tom Hardy said he took no drugs at all to train for Bronson.

Him and his trainer also said he "did stuff on his own" and they promoted the trainer's services which - to me - says that he likely did a bodybuilding style routine in addition to some of the fluffy shit in that particular vid. Probably an emphasis on the former.

I believe his quote was something like: "I pressed a lot of floor. I pressed a lot of bar. I ate a lot of ice cream."
9/5/12 11:41 AM
snakepitz
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter - 
snakepitz - I recall speaking with Gerard Butler and he was telling me how he was not seeing the results he wanted doing the tire flipping and sledgehammer type routine they had the cast do for 300 and he would do another typical bodybuilding session in the evening as he was super motivated

He said he was never more unhappy in his life and very sore and always irritable lol.

Clearly he was overtrained...I dont recall what his nutrition was though...he did tell me too

Huh... I could swear i recall GJ saying Butler never stepped foot in there for the workout the other actors did. He had his own trainer already, and stuck with that.

He said he did the workouts that the production company wanted him to do...then snuck off and did his own thing with his trainer....which was a typical BB split

What Gerard he told me in convo...but who knows
9/5/12 11:55 AM
vermonter
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

snakepitz - 
vermonter - 
snakepitz - I recall speaking with Gerard Butler and he was telling me how he was not seeing the results he wanted doing the tire flipping and sledgehammer type routine they had the cast do for 300 and he would do another typical bodybuilding session in the evening as he was super motivated

He said he was never more unhappy in his life and very sore and always irritable lol.

Clearly he was overtrained...I dont recall what his nutrition was though...he did tell me too

Huh... I could swear i recall GJ saying Butler never stepped foot in there for the workout the other actors did. He had his own trainer already, and stuck with that.

He said he did the workouts that the production company wanted him to do...then snuck off and did his own thing with his trainer....which was a typical BB split

What Gerard he told me in convo...but who knows

I believe it, i just think it's weird because Twight said Butler didn't go to their gym IIRC, and you know he would have talked that up. All the articles and images were about the progress the older guy (the captain) made.

Maybe he did it on his own because of the distance...
9/5/12 2:20 PM
jkd_guy
554 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

someone posted a thread here a few years ago about Ryan Reynolds working out at his gym
9/5/12 8:06 PM
timessquare
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

william795 - For the sole purpose of getting "buff", nothing has ever worked better for me than a bodybuilding split of chest/tri, back bi, legs, 2x a week. M,T,W,TH,F,S, rest Sun. 4 sets of 12 reps, 1 min rests. Add weight when you get all 4 sets.

Nothing that I've tried gains muscle for me quicker. It's not the best for strength or conditioning, but for muscle it is (for me).

People can say it's over-training, but for me, my body adapts. I switch it up a lot for conditioning or strength purposes, but I know that in 3 weeks time of doing that program that I can be noticeably bigger(where people comment).

And I guess for what it's worth, I don't see very good muscle increases from more power based programs (starting strength, 5/3/1, 5x5). Good strength, though.

How many different exercises per body part? This is how I used to train over 10 years ago and I agree it leads to good muscle gains. I used to do 4 different exercises per bodypart, including biceps and triceps. That seems crazy to me now but it definitely worked.
9/5/12 8:37 PM
snakepitz
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have tried 5x5 so many times and for me it is just not a good rep range.

I feel best when using the heaviest weight possible and falling in the 8-12 rep area.

I keep my routine based around compound movements with fluff thrown in and always switch things up based on my fluctuating work schedule.

If I am off during week I will do a BB split routine....If I am busy I will do a two day a week push-pull or planes of movement routine (broken up by horizontal push pull and vertical push pull)

If swamped I will Squat-bench-row or chin once a week for maintenance.

I also like to finish a bodypart with a high rep movement of one set...it just feels good.

Even on my abbreviated day after I bench I will do a thirty rep set of cable crossovers on the way to the squat rack.

Bottom line...if you enjoy what you do in gym you will do it often...I would rather enjoy this routine rather than a more productive routine I will hate...and lose interest...and not do.

I have (we all have)...spent years of mental masturbation going over various splits and routines and combinations.

My mentality now is just go to gym and move iron and stop over analyzing everything...I have enough of that in my job and managing my investment portfolio.

If I am due to do legs and just dont fel like doing them I would rather go to gym and do something I feel like than skip workout

WOW...FRAT....
9/6/12 2:34 AM
sosleepy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
9/6/12 10:04 PM
william795
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

timessquare - 
william795 - For the sole purpose of getting "buff", nothing has ever worked better for me than a bodybuilding split of chest/tri, back bi, legs, 2x a week. M,T,W,TH,F,S, rest Sun. 4 sets of 12 reps, 1 min rests. Add weight when you get all 4 sets.

Nothing that I've tried gains muscle for me quicker. It's not the best for strength or conditioning, but for muscle it is (for me).

People can say it's over-training, but for me, my body adapts. I switch it up a lot for conditioning or strength purposes, but I know that in 3 weeks time of doing that program that I can be noticeably bigger(where people comment).

And I guess for what it's worth, I don't see very good muscle increases from more power based programs (starting strength, 5/3/1, 5x5). Good strength, though.

How many different exercises per body part? This is how I used to train over 10 years ago and I agree it leads to good muscle gains. I used to do 4 different exercises per bodypart, including biceps and triceps. That seems crazy to me now but it definitely worked.

Yeah, like 3-4. It's seen as "overtraining" now, but I'll be damned if it doesn't work...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.