UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> Preparing to compete in my first tournament

9/1/12 12:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seppuku3
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Long Island Pride BJJ.

I'm competing in a no-gi white belt tournament for 149 lbs.

I'm currently about 159 lbs. and I have until Sep. 16 to make it to 149.

I trust myself that I will lose around 4-5 lbs. of fat by 2 weeks (I'm moving into my college dorm and once I'm on campus I'm very physically active and exercise a lot).

I'm just a little concerned about the level of competition I'll be facing.

I understand it's a white belt tournament but I learned this summer that belt rankings can be deceptive.

I tapped out 2 purple belts yet found myself out-matched by my fellow white belts.

What's more concerning is that the submissions I excel the most at are leg locks, which are only legal in higher belt divisions.

I'm really good at armbar escapes though, although I understand that it's a gamble that's discouraged to take.

What do you guys think?

My BJJ gym experience consists of 3 months of membership but I've been obsessed with submission grappling since I was a little kid.

I've been studying Gracie magazines, grappling matches,talking my friends of similar interests into grappling with me, etc.

Basically I'm a high level blue belt technique wise but a low level one experience wise.

Any advice and tips?

From your experience, how deep is the competition at white belt level.
9/1/12 2:05 PM
DavidLangsBlackBelt
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your white belt brain is showing in this thread. Phone Post
9/1/12 8:11 PM
DIMA

You shouldn't need any advice or tips... Ure practically sandbagging the division with your high level blue belt. Phone Post
9/3/12 4:54 AM
EdgeHoboken
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will be fine. The competition at this tournament shouldnt be too stiff with lots of guys getting ready for Pan Ams in NYC on Septmember 29th. And even if it is, it is a good learning experience. Focus on understanding the rules, and points scoring so you know what to advance on. You could throw up 16 sub attempts and lose 21-2 and only have one bout. It is better to get more experience by knowing how to win and get the competition time in. Especially at the white belt level. Good luck.
9/3/12 9:44 PM
Subzero90

Never saw the point of dropping weight in a grappling tournament. People should just man up and grapple in their natural division. Also concentrate on breathing correctly, it's amazing how much one can gas out during a 5 minute round.. I know I did my first tournament.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.