UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> The Official OG (kindle Book Club - Books included

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/2/13 9:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ferox13
975 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Flicker by Theodore Roszak is oe of my fave books of all time. You might need to be a film fan to fully appreciate it though.

Have you read A Clockwork Orange?

Do you like Crime Fiction? James Elroy has written some great stuff (LA Confidential or The Black Dhalia are good starting points).

If you like trashy thrillers then Stephen Hunter might be up your street (Start with Dirty White Boys). In a similar vein but with more humour Joe R Lonsdale's Hap and Leonard series are very entertaining.
3/2/13 10:34 AM
MMA All Day
2330 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ferox13 -
MMA All Day - How can I get a copy of John the Balladier by Manley Wade Wellman? Phone Post

I have looked for that before but couldn't find it - there were some if a stories on a site I found though. Phone Post

Found it again:

John the Balladeer
I just saw this. Thank you so kindly. Phone Post
3/2/13 10:38 AM
ferox13
975 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They made a film based on the character/stories too:

3/3/13 7:22 PM
jim dwyer
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone have the Game by Neil Strauss, need to strengthen my pick up game!!

3/3/13 10:31 PM
hybridfc
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jim dwyer - 

Does anyone have the Game by Neil Strauss, need to strengthen my pick up game!!

I assume you're joking.

3/4/13 2:46 AM
sreiter
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ferox

been a long time since i checked this thread

noticed the drop box folder has been completely redone.

has books been deleted, or is everything just reorg'd ?
3/4/13 2:53 AM
ferox13

Just reorganised ss far so I know. There were a good few duplicates and most of them have been deleted.

But no other content has been purposely deleted. Phone Post
3/4/13 3:21 AM
Mdot50
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone read Marie tillmans book the letter ? Pat tillmans wife. Its short. But got dusty a few times. Phone Post
3/4/13 3:55 AM
Dirtyu D
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Flicker by Theodore Roszak is oe of my fave books of all time. You might need to be a film fan to fully appreciate it though."

is that uploaded? I just did a search and didn't come across anything
3/4/13 4:30 AM
sreiter
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ferox13 -  Just reorganised ss far so I know. There were a good few duplicates and most of them have been deleted.

thx
3/4/13 6:03 AM
Dirtyu D
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sreiter - 
ferox13 -  Just reorganised ss far so I know. There were a good few duplicates and most of them have been deleted.

thx

Hey, Sreiter
3/4/13 7:21 AM
ferox13

Dirtyu D - "Flicker by Theodore Roszak is oe of my fave books of all time. You might need to be a film fan to fully appreciate it though."

is that uploaded? I just did a search and didn't come across anything

No - I had a look online but couldn't fine a copy :(
3/5/13 4:37 AM
Dbulletproof
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just finished the Master and Margarita.

I was disappointed. I've heard nothing but great things about it, especially from Russian friends.

I read it and just couldn't get into it. Sure, some parts were amazing, especially the magic show, but on the whole, I just didn't dig the satire. Maybe I read it at the wrong time, or maybe I'm just not deep/sophistamacated enough to appreciate it.

Anybody else read it? What did you think?

I'll give it a re-read in a few years when my ass has aged like a fine wine.
3/5/13 4:52 AM
Dirtyu D

Dbulletproof - Just finished the Master and Margarita.

I was disappointed. I've heard nothing but great things about it, especially from Russian friends.

I read it and just couldn't get into it. Sure, some parts were amazing, especially the magic show, but on the whole, I just didn't dig the satire. Maybe I read it at the wrong time, or maybe I'm just not deep/sophistamacated enough to appreciate it.

Anybody else read it? What did you think?

I'll give it a re-read in a few years when my ass has aged like a fine wine.

I really liked it, though it can drag at times. How familiar are you with Russian history at the time?
3/5/13 5:13 AM
Dbulletproof
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I study Russian, been there, trained there and my gf is from Russia so I'm pretty good with the history, could always be better though.

I enjoyed Zamyatin's "We" - which was written at a similar time, but I felt that M+M was just too hard going, I appreciate the writing, but it felt more like an assignment than a pleasure to read.

I agree with your point about it dragging, there were some incredible moments, David Lynch would love it.
3/5/13 5:55 AM
ferox13

Uploaded a folder of Arthur Machen to Horror Section:

3/5/13 7:36 AM
Dirtyu D

Well I study Russian, been there, trained there and my gf is from Russia so I'm pretty good with the history, could always be better though.

so you're basically a noob? Coincidentally, my knowledge of the historical and political background of the novel is pretty cursory, so that might be where the issue lays.

(I know I can get pretty critical when I am reading fiction that delves into a subject I've studied)

I enjoyed Zamyatin's "We" - which was written at a similar time, but I felt that M+M was just too hard going, I appreciate the writing, but it felt more like an assignment than a pleasure to read.

See, I found we a choir to get through. And beyond it's cool historical interests as one of the first dystopian novels, there wasn't much I appreciated about it. So maybe it comes down to an issue of personal taste

3/5/13 5:39 PM
forrestfan
424 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

added Marching Powder to the Non-Fiction folder. (equally crime and drugs, it's in the main folder for now)

Memoir about a British guy who gets caught smuggling cocaine and sent to a strange Bolivian prison.

Eventually he starts running tours for foreign backpackers who can stay overnight in his cell and party with him where cocaine costs less than beer.

Crazy shit.
3/6/13 3:00 AM
Jarvis73
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been having a nightmare with my kindle, freezing, losing books ect. It's out of warranty. I complained to amazon I've been given a replacement for £10. Phone Post
3/6/13 3:35 AM
Dbulletproof

Dirtyu D - 

so you're basically a noob? Coincidentally, my knowledge of the historical and political background of the novel is pretty cursory, so that might be where the issue lays.

(I know I can get pretty critical when I am reading fiction that delves into a subject I've studied)

See, I found we a choir to get through. And beyond it's cool historical interests as one of the first dystopian novels, there wasn't much I appreciated about it. So maybe it comes down to an issue of personal taste

I wouldn't say I am a noob, however after spending time over in Russia I realized that I was misinformed about their history.

Interestingly enough, a lot of the Russians that I spoke to said that they found it difficult to penetrate the layers of satire in M+M, however they appreciate Bulgakov's writing, most notably: "Manuscripts don't burn." (Though this was admittedly mostly younger Russians).

I guess it's one of those books that you have to read several times in order to appreciate it.

I can see what you are saying about "We" I guess it is a matter of personal taste. For example, I really enjoyed Brothers Karamazov, and a lot of people I have spoken to gave up on it. Different strokes I guess.

Speaking of Dostoevsky, I visited his house in St Petersburg, pretty cool to see some of his handwritten work, though they wouldn't let me touch his hat.

3/6/13 4:14 AM
Dirtyu D

I wouldn't say I am a noob, however after spending time over in Russia I realized that I was misinformed about their history.

I was joking, being that you seem to have an extensive background on the subject
3/6/13 4:27 AM
Dbulletproof

Hahah, sorry man, I thought you were just a really direct guy. Your last post makes way more sense now. Maybe I shouldn't read it at stupid o clock in the morning.

Seriously though, Russia is cool as fuck. Just a shame they wouldn't let me touch his hat.

I really wanted to touch it.
3/7/13 11:50 PM
Dbulletproof

Something I said?

Reading The Fall of Hyperion now, the original Hyperion was awesome. Anyone else read it?
3/8/13 3:53 AM
ferox13

I need to read some Dan Simmons at some stage.
3/9/13 11:37 AM
Dirtyu D

Dbulletproof - Something I said?

Reading The Fall of Hyperion now, the original Hyperion was awesome. Anyone else read it?

Anyone have "dinner with Mugabe" by chance?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.