UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Is knee on belly considered showing off?

9/3/12 11:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dag5
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chitownbjj - I think he meant the andre galvao incident where he body surfed the other guy for trying a heel hook. Phone Post
Can some share the video? Phone Post
9/3/12 12:37 PM
andre
440 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How else are you going to distract someone with a trophy long enough to armbar them!? The knee on the belly is FUNDAMENTAL.
9/3/12 1:35 PM
A_Butler
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dag5 -
chitownbjj - I think he meant the andre galvao incident where he body surfed the other guy for trying a heel hook. Phone Post
Can some share the video? Phone Post
YouTube Andre Galvaou vs Martin Suarez. Martin trains with me. I've known Martin for a long time. He trains at our gym, super nice guy. Laughs his ass off about that match. Phone Post
9/3/12 3:37 PM
LetsTalkItOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Andre vs Martin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhcM4dntqwo

There is another one used to be called Andre Globetrotter but i think it was deleted. Basically did what he did in the match but against everyone he was sparring with at a school after or seminar IIRC.
9/3/12 4:03 PM
PayItForward
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it is if you plan to use it on me. don't be cheesy when rolling w/ me and try and show off. keep it real and let me pass your guard and side mount you.
9/3/12 4:50 PM
mjm345
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Daniel/CGJJ -  People who complain about pressure in jiu jitsu are whiny bitches and should stick to point karate. In the words of Rob Kahn: "It's FIGHT training. Smash him!!!" Phone Post

9/3/12 4:53 PM
ultimatestreetfighter

knee of belly is okay. knee on sternum or knee on face is how i teach people lessons
9/3/12 5:17 PM
emu67

Knee on belly is a great position. Good way to put pressure to prompt movement to set up other finishes. Sometimes the pressure can be a submission too. Just don't go knee on neck; that's a little rude. Phone Post
9/3/12 5:25 PM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cocksmasher -  Most of the time Id say no but it can occassionally be used to put someone in their place if they piss you off. Phone Post

This.
9/3/12 5:27 PM
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, worth 2 points, and for someone like me who is 6'4 and 250lbs it forces my opponet to move do something that opens something up for me.
9/3/12 7:00 PM
dokomoy
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Knee on Belly is worth points in competition, is supposed to be great in self defense, and is a great place to launch all sorts of attacks(mount and back transitions, chokes, armbars, kimuras etc). It doesn't have to be a staple of your game, but if you only use it to show off or "teach someone a lesson" than I think you're ignoring a really valuable tool.
9/3/12 11:26 PM
Wutang
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Knee on belly is a great position for many attacks. Most important in an close to even match it taxes your opponents' stamina. IMO that, by itself, makes the position one of the best offensive positions/tools you can use.
9/3/12 11:29 PM
Stephen Eakin
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wutang - Knee on belly is a great position for many attacks. Most important in an close to even match it taxes your opponents' stamina. IMO that, by itself, makes the position one of the best offensive positions/tools you can use.
Your Wutang style is mysterious, please teach me. Phone Post
9/4/12 3:17 AM
estanmilko

Weirdly, knee on belly doesn't really bother me. Shoulder of doom is much worse.
9/4/12 7:48 AM
nogidavid
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

estanmilko - Weirdly, knee on belly doesn't really bother me. Shoulder of doom is much worse.

they're not doing it right. they should ask Mauricio Gomes for some tips
9/5/12 6:05 PM
estanmilko

I've had Mauricio's knee on belly, and some of his students.
9/5/12 7:53 PM
cortXbomb

Diving for an omoplata from mount is showing off, I'd say knee on belly is just applying a dominant position. Unless you're spinning around with it.
9/6/12 12:37 AM
dustyaguas
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's only bad if they're pregnant.
9/6/12 5:44 AM
Gwhite

I didnt think so.. but now that you put it like that, i can see how it could be used to let people know whats up lol. After reading some of these comments, i realized i used to be put in knee on belly alot.. makes me wonder if they were all mad at me for some reason haha Phone Post
9/6/12 9:25 AM
allchokedup
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

knee on belly is a go to for me. I use it often and it sets other things up. It gives me the best mobility while not offering a lot of options to escape. I dont think I would do it to a little guy but I dont run across many of those.
9/6/12 7:47 PM
supersaiyan

never had ANNY issues with knee on belly techs.. have done it as well as been on the recieving end.

i rmr in class for kicks we did from time to time do the "surf" move on our friends for fun lol
9/7/12 4:07 PM
Rick Screeton
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its only rude if you reach down and slap the face and make kissy faces when you do it.... bu tthen it awesome anyways, so go for it!
11/22/12 12:17 PM
supersaiyan

i would have to confess its better than KNee IN/On Crotch...but i am just going on a limb here.
11/22/12 2:05 PM
Baroquen Record
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not at all it is an absolutely necessary position.

Now of course you can show off with it or abuse people with it switching sides and knee riding someone for a whole roll. Phone Post
11/22/12 3:29 PM
aed333
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Baroquen Record -  Not at all it is an absolutely necessary position.

Now of course you can show off with it or abuse people with it switching sides and knee riding someone for a whole roll. Phone Post

This is actually a strategy that my instructor wants me to work on in order to work on. It might be abuse, but it's effective

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.