UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Bad co-worker what do?

9/3/12 10:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hiptosser
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Background info and FRAT
I am the lead tech in a NOC.The Noc I work in deals with a lot from desktop support when no one is around, non complex network trouble shooting, monitoring/operating on a VMS cluster, all kinds of stuff besides networking. In fact network related problem solving isn't really a big responsibility-monitoring-escaltion is. It is a laid back, out come oreinted environment.
CCENT/CCNA is not a requirement and our NOC pays less than national average but basic tcp/ip, cisco knowledged is expected.

I had a friend who was down on his luck, he had a good job as a main frame operator at a major universoty but moved to be with some woman it went sour..long story short I got him a job. I figured at the very least he would be good for working with the VMS side of things since he had experience with a mainframe/unix like file structure/ etc.

BUT I was worng ....the guy has not picked anything up at all, turns out he is 100% clueless about network basics, he can barely get through a shift with out fucking up his work station PC, he wont even attempt to do anything with VMS.It turns out at his last job he just monitored a job queue and followed very specific procedures if a job fell off and surfed the internet.
This dude is late every day , frequently calls off and when he is here basically does nothing but bitch about how much he doesn't like it. If he is left by himslef he completely ignores everything!He is getting bye now becasue everyone is bails him out constantly. He sends me texts all the time
"help" when the shit hits the fan because he ignored something for 5 hours.

My boss doesn't relaize the full extnent of his ineptitude but at some point it is going to reflect very poorly on me(I think).
I am statring to devolop some serious anxiety over it.
Any one ever have to deal with some one like this ?
9/4/12 9:13 AM
Synado
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just be honest with your boss and let him know you don't think your friend is a good fit.
9/4/12 11:10 AM
hiptosser

That seems like the best thing to do.
9/4/12 5:39 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it's a friend of mine I'll tell him he's fucking up and why.

If he continues then it's not your call and I agree of talking to your boss and telling him what the deal is.

Deal with problems honestly, that is the best advice I have to give.
9/25/12 8:55 AM
HardHittingHeeb

mnbvcxzchewy - ^ agree. 1st have an honest conversation with the friend

This. If he doesn't get it afterwards, he's not your friend.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.