UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Kenny Weldon DVDs

9/4/12 12:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
martinburke
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has anyone seen both sets of Weldon's DVDS?

You Can Learn To Box

and

Becoming A Better Boxer

Are they basically the same, or is one better?
9/4/12 11:21 PM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw the first one a while back, and haven't yet seen the later one but am aiming on doing so in the next couple of weeks. If no-one else has given a breakdown by then i'll do so.
9/5/12 3:05 AM
Chappie
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/06/12 2:52 AM

Weldon is an interesting guy, he reminds me a little of Cus D'Amato with his impassioned zeal and unorthodoxy. Personally, I like to listen to Weldon and think that he is an interesting guy, but I disagree strongly with some of his methodologies.

9/5/12 7:38 AM
ya
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm very curious which methods you don't agree with, Chappie.
9/5/12 7:54 AM
martinburke
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC, that would be awesome and very much appreciated.

Chappie, I have some out-of-state relatives and clients with kids that are interested in boxing, so I won't be able to teach them. These are all middle class kids with futures, so I don't want them to get beat up any more than they have to while they have the bug to fight, which is why I'm probably going to suggest Weldon to them. From what I've seen on youtube clips, he stresses fundamentals and defense more than others.

What do you disagree with him on?
9/5/12 2:01 PM
Chappie
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will provide more detail when time permits, but a number of Weldon's teaching methodologies conflict with that of most other trainers. For one, Weldon advocates that tall fighters should give away their height by fighting at the same eye level as their opponent. Second, Weldon advocates that fighters should place the overwhelming bulk of their weight on their back foot at all times even while fighting inside (he doesn't believe in keeping your weight centered) and third, Weldon seems to teach all his fighters, including his pros, to fight with a timed rhythm bouncing back and forth (commonly seen in amateurs) which allows his fighters to be timed.

Martin, in spite of what I said above, Weldon is a knowledgeable guy and even though I would have issues with him training a top pro, I am sure that his videos will work for the purposes at hand.
9/5/12 4:04 PM
The Ghost Of Swayze
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chappie - I will provide more detail when time permits, but a number of Weldon's teaching methodologies conflict with that of most other trainers. For one, Weldon advocates that tall fighters should give away their height by fighting at the same eye level as their opponent. Second, Weldon advocates that fighters should place the overwhelming bulk of their weight on their back foot at all times even while fighting inside (he doesn't believe in keeping your weight centered) and third, Weldon seems to teach all his fighters, including his pros, to fight with a timed rhythm bouncing back and forth (commonly seen in amateurs) which allows his fighters to be timed.

Martin, in spite of what I said above, Weldon is a knowledgeable guy and even though I would have issues with him training a top pro, I am sure that his videos will work for the purposes at hand.

He also exaggerates explaining why you should keep your weight on the back like it's "impossible" to take a step or reach a guy if you don't or you limit your arsenal of punches by 50%. And that fighting tall is a "myth".

Couple vids on your points:

Boxing training using a rack (weight issue):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2uiiBzXPnE&feature=related

kenny weldon : the myth of fighting tall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2EaE_1wNCA&feature=share&list=PL76C490114F906582
9/5/12 10:02 PM
jw234
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The two DVD series are very different, and a third, the Advanced one, is the best. They are all very good overall. Phone Post
9/8/12 12:18 AM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

global-training-report/kenny.com

Above is detailed review of Kenny's first series.
I have seen the second also. More detailed, with reference to specific types of opponents. I haven't seen the advanced one yet.

I don't agree with 100% of what Kenny teaches but no one is 100% correct about anything. There are lots of different opinions in the boxing world.
9/10/12 2:36 PM
martinburke

Thank you all for your input.

Very much appreciated.
9/11/12 11:12 PM
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with him on the tall fighting. The advantage of height is reach, if you stand tall and punch down you're losing reach as well as making yourself a bigger target. If you drop down you maintain the full advantage of your reach, utilizing every single inch advantage in your reach.

My trainers taught this as well.
9/13/12 12:54 AM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would be interested in knowing which "taller" boxers have deliberately fought "short". And if so, how did that work for them?

Offhand, I can't think of anyone, but my knowledge is limited to the most high-profile people.

Martin Burke, if anyone knows, you would.
9/13/12 1:22 PM
martinburke

Just off the top of my head, I would say Bob Foster. I'm sure there are others.

Some of the old trainers would teach their fighters to crouch a little more than usual when facing an opponent that came at them in a crouch...to get closer down to their level...which is sorta like what Weldon is teaching, I think.

Also, about the bouncing in and out: just from the clips, I noticed that the more advanced kid in the "Reaction Punches" clip fought off the back foot, but he didn't really bounce in and out. I wonder if Weldon stresses the bouncing more for beginners to teach weight shift?

9/27/12 12:05 AM
keseki

Thanks as usual MB.

Now, pls open a new thread called The Wisdom of Sam McVey, and tell me what you know/think.
9/27/12 2:53 PM
martinburke

Sam McVey or Sam Langford?

McVey was the 1910 version of Samuel Peter.

Langford was one of the ten greatest PfP fighters of all time.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.