UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Machida not next in line for title fight

9/4/12 10:24 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

After Lyoto Machida knocked out Ryan Bader at UFC on FOX 4, it was all but a guarentee that Machida would be next in line for a chance to revenge his loss to Jon Jones and fight for the UFC lightheavyweight title.

After the recent UFC 151 incident, it seems that is no longer the case. Machida was given the chance to fight Jon Jones at UFC 152 on four weeks notice, and declined the fight. He will now not be next in line, White revealed in an interview with Ariel Helwani tonight. White had spoken with Machida's manager, Ed Soares, who also expected Machida to take the fight. Machida we said he didn't have the time to prepare, did not accept, and in at least White's eyes, has moved down the ladder to face the champion.

9/4/12 10:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Alpha World Peace
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/4/12 10:28 PM
epwar
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gothams Reckoning - Then tell us who is... can't be anyone but Machida

How about someone who is on more than a 1-fight win streak?
9/4/12 10:29 PM
Dawggy
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Womp womp wooooomp Phone Post
9/4/12 10:29 PM
iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz

Alpha World Peace -  
. Phone Post
9/4/12 10:30 PM
studiocamp
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When is the earliest Dan could return?
9/4/12 10:33 PM
ufc98newb
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it will be Chael. did you see the part where he said something like "if the fans wanna see chael vs jones, then i guess we'd make that happen."

lol
9/4/12 10:33 PM
torquemada
315 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Screwed yourself, Lyoto...

Lesson? When Dana calls, you answer. Even if it's not perfect, you go. Phone Post
9/4/12 10:36 PM
kinkle

lol, Dana is a dickhead. You expect Lyoto to take a fight against JON JONES on short notice, without a full training camp? A fight that he would need to be 100% prepared to have a shot at WINNING? A fight if he loses he will lose any chance EVER of facing Jon Jones for the belt again?

Lyoto would be a MORON to take that fight on short notice.
9/4/12 10:37 PM
ufc98newb
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoomFarmer - 
torquemada -  Screwed yourself, Lyoto...

Lesson? When Dana calls, you answer. Even if it's not perfect, you go. Phone Post

I honestly don't think Machida was in much of a hurry to fight him again.

Doubt he is too concerned about it.

agree with this statement 100%

now that hendo also appears to be in dana's doghouse, perhaps those two duke it out for #1 contender. this is a fight i would LOVE to see
9/4/12 10:39 PM
BBQ@bendos
869 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingMastodon - Ryan Jimmo!!!! Fear the robot!!! Phone Post
lol Phone Post
9/4/12 10:40 PM
Kimbos Bread
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoomFarmer - I'd say they give it to Glover once he TKO's Rampage.

Makes no sense but thats my guess.
This Phone Post
9/4/12 11:00 PM
EckY
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Machida needs another win anyway, 1 win over Bader shouldn't get you a shot, especially when his last tile shot was for beating Randy.
9/4/12 11:02 PM
Lazer MMA

"Screwed yourself, Lyoto... "

No think again!

9/4/12 11:02 PM
Lazer MMA

studiocamp - When is the earliest Dan could return?

Wants to fight late dec
9/4/12 11:06 PM
torquemada
315 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ufc98newb -
DoomFarmer - 

I honestly don't think Machida was in much of a hurry to fight him again.

Doubt he is too concerned about it.

agree with this statement 100%

now that hendo also appears to be in dana's doghouse, perhaps those two duke it out for #1 contender. this is a fight i would LOVE to see
Ohhh. Now that would be a good fight. Very interesting. Phone Post
9/4/12 11:08 PM
HenryO

Hendo should be getting the next fight once healthy

How many times is this new that ZUFFA has said a fight would be for number one contender and then rescinded? Their promotional tactics fucking suck
9/4/12 11:09 PM
Jaybrone
532 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar - 
Gothams Reckoning - Then tell us who is... can't be anyone but Machida

How about someone who is on more than a 1-fight win streak?

I have said it since they talked about Machida. He got dismantled pretty soundly. He is 2-3 in his last 5. He is on a 1 fight win streak and had a title shot 2 fights ago. Lets get some fresh blood in the title discussion. Lets see honest and look at people besides past champs for Jones. Build up some real contenders in the division with the talent thats there. You know like Gustafson or Glover or anyone but it's not necessary to be recycling fights that JUST happened. And especially when the first fight was a one sided beatdown. Don't give me that shit about Machida dominated the first round cause its dellusion. The first round was very close then Jones completely dismantled him in every way in the second.
9/4/12 11:15 PM
MMAFriedRice
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree. I am big Machida fan, but I was disappointed to see him turn down title fight. On the other hand I do understand why he turned it down. Shogun vs Machida 3. Phone Post
9/4/12 11:17 PM
epwar
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingMastodon -  Ryan Jimmo!!!! Fear the robot!!! Phone Post

9/4/12 11:27 PM
Jaybrone
532 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HenryO - Hendo should be getting the next fight once healthy

How many times is this new that ZUFFA has said a fight would be for number one contender and then rescinded? Their promotional tactics fucking suck

It wasn't said that it would be for the #1 contender. In fact the implication was that the Vera Shogun fight would be. Although neither one of those match ups made much sense for a #1 contender fight.
9/4/12 11:41 PM
epic hero

I really felt that Lyoto need another win anyway, he just fought Jones not even 8 months ago or so.
And everybody was up in arms about the Bader fight, saying it's Lyoto 3.5, but I said well before the fight, stylistically Bader offered absolutely nothing for him. I actually gave Vera a better chance of beating Shogun.

Lyoto makes guys look really bad. You will either look good against him or awful against him, that's just how his style works. I think Machida still wants to prove himself anyway, I don't think he would mind that much.
9/4/12 11:44 PM
XxLiveBaitxX
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The reason Dana is saying that now is if Vitor takes out JBJ, there will 100% be a rematch, making JBJ next in line for a title (if that's the case).

He'll change his tune if JBJ wins convincingly.
9/4/12 11:46 PM
2Fort
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really? Wow, this whole thing just continues to get more and more fucking silly. So because Machida declined to fight arguably one of the best p4p fighters on the planet with on a 3 week fight camp, the number 1 contendership is taken from him? Unbelievable..
9/5/12 12:02 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Well the next challenger is Vitor, and considering Dana has already stated that Hendo will still get his shot, I'd imagine he's next after Vitor. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.