UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Askren: 'I'm going to stick with my guns'

9/5/12 8:56 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Bellator champion Ben Askren is one of the best American wrestlers to ever enter MMA. But the 2008 Olympian, two time Div I NCAA Champion, and two time Hodge Trophy winner, is not a fan favorite, as he relies on wrestling to win, not KOs and submissions.

The great irony in MMA is that wrestling is the best base for the sport, but is the least appreciated aspect of the game.

In an extended interview with MMMJunkie, Askren reflects.

"When I won a Bellator tournament, I was only a year and four months into my fighting career, maybe," said Askren. "My outlook was, OK, now I get all this time to actually get good at this."

"I've been with Duke for one year now. I'm not under the delusion that I'm going to become a world-class striker in a year. That's crazy. If anybody thinks they can actually do that, they're an idiot.

"If you read a lot of the psychology research, they say to become a world-class competitor in something, it takes 10 years, roughly. So, I haven't got 10 years. I'll be plenty well retired from fighting by the time I hit 10 years in fighting."

"I don't expect (the fans) to appreciate (wrestling). I would say the majority of MMA fans don't have a great technical knowledge base, and really, what they want to see is people snapping arms, or people knocking people out. There's no appreciation for the finer points of jiu-jitsu or wrestling. But I'm OK with that. It's not like I feel the need to change it or think I actually can."

"Most people aren't very good at MMA. I look at it from the perspective that I'm ranked, whatever, ninth to 15th in the world right now (in MMA). In wrestling, if I were to wrestle today, I probably wouldn't be in the top-50. But I'm a way better pure wrestler than an MMA fighter."

"It's more about making me the best mixed martial artist I can be, as opposed to trying to gameplan. I'm three years into my fighting career. Why am I going to be gameplanning for somebody? I need to be good.

"Am I going out there looking for the knockout ever? Probably not. I doubt I'll ever do that. I'm smart enough to stick with what I do well. I know I wrestle and use my offensive jiu-jitsu better than almost anyone in MMA. So I'm going to stick to my guns."

Read entire article...

9/5/12 9:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UncleDavid
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I almost fell asleep while reading this, reading the name "Askren" is like taking an instant sleeping pill to me.
9/5/12 9:01 AM
fob bob
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Askren vs fitch make it happen Dana..

JK Phone Post
9/5/12 9:11 AM
unfilter
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

actually kinda like his wrestling style...he's got more scrambles than a denny's breakfast menu;

but i'd be lying if i said i was riveted to the screen during an askren fight

9/5/12 9:19 AM
Nexuscrawlers
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope he at least learns to finish subs or GnP. He is a great wrestler though. Phone Post
9/5/12 9:45 AM
BertR

He's right. If people are upset at wrestlers using wrestling in an mma fight, they should focus their ire toward making rule changes or just watch K-1
9/5/12 9:56 AM
kkmmnn
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i love his analogy there.. "most people aren't very good at MMA so they can't appreciate my style"

well shit, most people aren't very good at performing surgery, or singing, or playing hockey, or skydiving. doesn't mean they can't appreciate someone that is amazing at what they do.

if the guy is a boring fighter, it's probably not the fans fault, just sayin
9/5/12 9:56 AM
in_different
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i wish he would be a bit more offensive with his ground game. i love the grappling aspect of mma. the guy needs a specialty submission imo. Rhonda and Palhares are terrifying as any other fighters in MMA today because of it.
9/5/12 9:58 AM
Rival School

fob bob - Askren vs fitch make it happen Dana..

JK Phone Post
When they put Frankie and Maynard I thought two boring dudes would equal boring and look what it turned into. Sometimes two boring wrestlers can't just wrestle and they end up swinging Phone Post
9/5/12 10:04 AM
RPBJJ
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I don't expect (the fans) to appreciate (wrestling). I would say the majority of MMA fans don't have a great technical knowledge base, and really, what they want to see is people snapping arms, or people knocking people out. There's no appreciation for the finer points of jiu-jitsu or wrestling. But I'm OK with that. It's not like I feel the need to change it or think I actually can."

Oh sorry Ben! Its OUR fault. We just don't understand what you are doing! Never mind you ARE exciting!
9/5/12 10:05 AM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should take notes from Jacare.

He went from world class BJJ with little to no stand up to actually having dangerous striking to go along with his ground game.

Jacare worked hard on his standup and now he's reaping the rewards both with KO's and the fans. Phone Post
9/5/12 10:11 AM
hubris
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there are plenty of exciting elite wrestlers

Hell Daniel Cormier is amazing

Askren is just boring
9/5/12 11:42 AM
caposa
1699 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I personally don't find Askren boring and like watching him fight. He is really good right now, but I think once he develops a good submission game he is going to be scary.
9/5/12 11:50 AM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the guy but that article was sad to read because it sounds like he has zero confidence in any area in MMA other than wrestling.
9/5/12 11:52 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Funk!
9/5/12 11:56 AM
Deputy Porker

I will never be exciting.

-Ben Askren
9/5/12 11:58 AM
Deputy Porker

fob bob -  Askren vs fitch make it happen Dana..

JK Phone Post

I laughed so hard
9/5/12 11:59 AM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidrob - The Funk!

Ben Askren is the Terry Funk of MMA
9/5/12 12:01 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At least he's keeping it real. Unlike some other guys who claim they will go for the finish, and put us to sleep. At least I know that if I'm having insomnia issues, all I need to do is play a Ben Askren fight.
9/5/12 12:20 PM
TeamRenzo

BertR - He's right. If people are upset at wrestlers using wrestling in an mma fight, they should focus their ire toward making rule changes or just watch K-1

Negative! There are plenty of wrestlers in MMA that put on great fights, Askren just isnt one of them. Just because I find Askren boring to watch I should watch K1??
9/5/12 12:29 PM
Bloodstorm

his fights are boring. Hell strikers can have a boring style. I want to watch a FIGHT not a wrestling match. Just another guy taking the fight out this sport and making it a point contest Phone Post
9/5/12 12:37 PM
Bearded Collie Herds Orca

Askren's career will really take off when he starts submitting people. At least he's not like every other wrestler, in that he at least stuck to a grappling heavy approach. Most high level wrestlers wanna be kickboxers, which is dumb.
9/5/12 12:38 PM
thefightphysician

Askren vs Fitch!

Make it happen Mattress World! Phone Post
9/5/12 12:47 PM
OMA (tm)

unfilter -  actually kinda like his wrestling style...he's got more scrambles than a denny's breakfast menu;

but i'd be lying if i said i was riveted to the screen during an askren fight

*crickets*

Askren is a stud!! And he is smart. He should do exactly what he is doing while wearing a shirt that says "fuck all y'all" on the back and "Cock Diesel" on the front!!

Askrens the man. Phone Post
9/5/12 12:50 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
I hope he works a ton on chokes. Guillotines, Darce, Anaconda, RNC would all go great with his game

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.