UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Powerlifting gear. AMA

9/5/12 9:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seemore Butts
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys. I compete in the APF. I know there is always a lot of questions about powerliftin gear, and it is hard to get answers. Feel free to hit me up on here, whether it be technical issues, questions about carry over, training questions so on.
9/5/12 9:50 AM
Seemore Butts
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To start if off. For squat briefs I have a pair of Inzer predators. Great support in the hips, huge carry over if your technique is dialed in. My briefs are grid stiched for more stopping power. Looking at getting a Metal Ace Squat suit next.

Bench shirts, I use a Inzer Rage X with an open back. Great carry over, easy to find the groove. I have used double ply Rage Xs. Very hard to touch, unforgiving for beginners.
9/5/12 12:46 PM
itisasitis
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the difference between your best raw squat and best squat with a suit?
9/5/12 1:52 PM
Seemore Butts

I haven't maxed out on my raw squat in awhile, but last time I did it was 375lbs @148lbs, my best squat in a pair of inzer predators was 500lbs @148lbs with more to give. I have a meet in November. I am going to try to break my state squat record of 535lbs at 148. If I work my technique with briefs and a suit it should be in reach. I get a lot of carry over in my lifts when using gear, but my technique is dialed in.
9/6/12 10:24 AM
itisasitis
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice, that is a very impressive squat at 148.

What is your programming like before a meet?
9/6/12 8:14 PM
Seemore Butts

itisasitis - Nice, that is a very impressive squat at 148.

What is your programming like before a meet?

Thank you.

I follow the West side protacol. Some guys do three week waves of differen't periodization in their program but I do not.

My Schedule:

Tuesday: Max Effort Bench
Accesories:
Triceps
Biceps
Lats
Upper Back/Shoulders
Chest Exercise

Thursday: Max Effort Squat/Deadlift
Accesories:
Lower Back
Hamstrings
Abs/Obliques
Sometimes upper back and quads.

Saturday:Dynamic Bench (speed)
Accesories:
Triceps
Lats
Upperback/Shoulders
Pressing movement for chest

Sunday: Dynamic Squat (speed)
Accesories:
Lower Back
Hamstrings
Abs/Obliques

On max effort days I am always going for a PR. I never ever back down from that year around. I do my max for that day whether it be a double or a single. I always hit my accesories hard, and like to work my weakneses using the repition/hypertrophy method. Speed days I work technique at 50%-60max in three weeks waves, focusing on exploding the weight up. Dynamic squats I always use a box.

Before a meet, the only thing I do differently is around three weeks out I change specialty bars to straight bars. I use the same type of exercises used in the meet ie no box squats, different bars, and no chains/bands. Just straight weight. 3 weeks out I also lower the hypertrophy work, and 4 days out of meet I rest. During my training if I ever feel over trained I deload and work hypertrophy with submaximal weights and get right back in the game.

There is more to it than this, but this is the basic template I use before a meet and year around. Sorry my spelling is shit.
9/7/12 2:48 PM
itisasitis

That's awesome thanks for that.

itisasitis

itisasitis

itisasitis

itisasitis

9/7/12 8:23 PM
Seemore Butts

No problem. Let me know if you have specific questions. Believe it or not, the most important days are the Dynamic Days.

Accesories are extremely important too. Some days I use an extremely hi rep range, and lower sets, some days I use lower rep ranges with higher amount of sets. When doing accesories/repitition work I always stop before failure, and I am constantly changing exercises every week. I am always changing exercises on my max effort days as well. I never do the same thing two weeks in a row. Dynamic days I will do the exercise in three week waves, week 1 50%, week 2 55%, week 3 60% and then change exercises.

I copy the West side template as best I can but change some other things around due to being drug free.
9/8/12 2:18 PM
itisasitis

What are the best bang for your buck assitance exercises in your opinion?

This is off topic, but you seem to be very knoweldgeable on the subject so I will ask.

I have a max squat of around 280-300, but my max deadlift is 415. Why in the FUCK is there such a big discrepency?

Whyyyyyy?
9/9/12 9:05 PM
Seemore Butts

Hey man.

My assistance workouts consist of two different styles. One day upper body accesories high intensity/low voume, one day upper body high volume/low intensity. Same goes for the two lower body days.

Triceps: Board lock outs, Rack Presses I usually perfrom on high intensity days, lower reps, heavy. Triceps extenisons with multiple types of bars, Tate presses, skull crushers, over head extensions, mini band extension, dips 8-15 reps on high volume days, work multiple sets, be a bodybuilder.

Back: Chest suppored rows, dumbbell rows, croc rows, close grip pull downs, wide grip pulldowns, any thing that makes you hella stong. Remember rep scheme for low volume vshigh volume days.

Shoulders: 1 day press, one day raise. I usually save my presses for high intensity, raises on low intensity. I use stading lateral raises, and seated lateral raises, some times cables and bands. I work my rear delts every workout, it is the only body part I always work on. Rear delts, face pulls, bent over shoulder raises, mini band shoulder squeeze.

Hamstrings, Lower back, Glutes: Pull throughs, Glute Ham Raises, back extension with mini bands around neck, Reverse Hyperextensions, dimmel deadlifts, leg curls with bands, and lunges.

ABS/Obliques: Pick exercises and do them weighted focus on squeezing.

Now onto deadlift and squat. It is not abnormal for some one who is lifting raw, to out deadlift their squat. In fact I don't know any raw lifters who squat more than they pull. Honestly I don't know why, don't know the science behind it. You don't start seeing your squat numbers eclipse your pulls until equipment is in the mix, or at least that is what I have seen. Remember deadlifts are taxing on your cns. Work hard on your squat, and work your assistance exercises for posterior and your deadlift will go up, without even deadlifting much. Try zercer squats, and front squats for a deadlift substitute, even good mornings. I only pull heavy once a month, and my deadlift keeps going up.
9/9/12 9:08 PM
Seemore Butts

Edited: 09/09/12 9:10 PM
Zercher*<br /><br />

Sorrry my spelling and grammar are shit. I am always busy, I rush these posts. Also, I forgot to tell you, on upper body days just pick one accesory for each body part. I forgot chest but work hypertrophy work on chest too, don't go to failure. On legs days pick 2 of those exercises or more and bang them out. It is extremely important to change up your accesories on a regular basis. I change my exercises every two weeks, some times every week.

Feel free to ask more questions. Maybe some one else on hear can ask some questions, we can get a good discussion going.
9/10/12 10:06 AM
jeremy hamilton
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" In fact I don't know any raw lifters who squat more than they pull."

Sam Byrd does. But you are right, that is not common and his squatting is not human.

" It is extremely important to change up your accesories on a regular basis."

Why do you feel this is so important?
9/10/12 10:13 AM
Seemore Butts

Changing exercises on a regular basis is important due to accomodation. Your body will adapt and accomodate weights/exercises after 3 weeks. This is some thing Louie Simmons preaches. Go to westside-barbell.com. Same goes for max effort, every week change exercises.

Ever see the guys in the gym who do the same routine week in, week out? Notice those individuals never reach new goals or gains? Don't be like them. Always keep your body guessing, and switch every thing up. The longest time period louie simmons suggest you stay with an exercise is three weeks, and even then you're supposed to change reps, bands, box height etc.

The only exercise I always perform is reverse hyperextensions due to the exercise being resotorative. Every thing else I am always changing.
9/10/12 10:34 AM
jeremy hamilton
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would it shock you to find out that I never change anything. I pull heavy every week also. When I stall I just reset the numbers and start over. Or I might go from say doing 1 all out set to multiple 2s or 3s.

Why does keeping the same exercises work for me? Also, why does it seem to work for every single weightlifter on earth?
9/10/12 10:45 AM
Seemore Butts

jeremy hamilton - Would it shock you to find out that I never change anything. I pull heavy every week also. When I stall I just reset the numbers and start over. Or I might go from say doing 1 all out set to multiple 2s or 3s.

Why does keeping the same exercises work for me? Also, why does it seem to work for every single weightlifter on earth?

It wouldn't shock me. Whatever works for you is what is best for you. I follow the westside protocol, and I follow it like it is designed. If your routine is working for you then that is great. But did you ever think you could be hindering greater gains by doing the same thing every week?

And I am sorry, it doesn't work for every single weightlifter on the planet, that is an absurd statement. I know it doesn't work for me, and the best powerlifters in the world follow the conjugate method.

Every meet I hit new PRs, almost every month I hit new PRs. It works for me, and almost every top strength athlete in the world from strongman to powerlifting.
9/10/12 11:05 AM
jeremy hamilton

My experience would show the opposite. I know A LOT of the best raw lifters in North America, I don't know any that train strict Westside. I can't think of any that do any kind of Westside training.

I challenge you to find a successful weightlifter that doesn't train the snatch and C+J day in and day out.

I will not challenge you on your results with a WS approach, if you are happy with your training then that is all that matters. I only wanted to point out that there are stronger lifters than you that don't ever switch anything out.
9/10/12 11:11 AM
Seemore Butts

Challenge me to a successful lifter who doesn't train the snatch or the clean and jerk?

Okay. Brian Schwab. 148lbs and 165lbs powerlifting champion. He is elite in Raw and multiply fedrations, and does not snatch or clean and jerk. I can list hundreds but that would be pointless.

I am sure there are 148lbs lifters who can squat more than me, which is 500lbs by the way by not changing any thing. That just goes without saying. But the top lifters in the world imo use the conjugate method, and I would ascertain that by and far, the majority of the best lifters use the conjugate method.

BTW I started in olympic weightlifting and competed at 69kg. I have solid technique in olympic weightlifting, and I do not snatch or clean and jerk day in day out.
9/10/12 11:24 AM
jeremy hamilton

What???

No, Brian is not a Weightlifter, he would have no need to train the Weightlifts. A WEIGHTLIFTER trains the WEIGHTLIFTS everyday, they don't change the way the lift is done every week and they seem to make great gains. This was my argument against changing everything up constantly.

You said that you squat 375 raw in an earlier post. Now it is 500?

9/10/12 11:36 AM
Seemore Butts

jeremy hamilton - What???

No, Brian is not a Weightlifter, he would have no need to train the Weightlifts. A WEIGHTLIFTER trains the WEIGHTLIFTS everyday, they don't change the way the lift is done every week and they seem to make great gains. This was my argument against changing everything up constantly.

You said that you squat 375 raw in an earlier post. Now it is 500?

Read my posts dumbass. I wrote I squatted 500 in loos briefs, that is my pr in squat. This is a powerlifting thread about powerliftig equipmen do you not read?

Brian is a weightligter, who said weightlifters train weightlifts everyday? Did you write the definition of weightlifting? NO YOU DIDNT. You asked me to find you a great lifter who doesn't train the Snatch and C+J everyday, and I did, now you're trying to ignore what you asked, and change the definition of weightlifting. What is your problem. I never came on this thread stating my methods were best, the poster before you asked me questions on what I did, and I gave him advice. You seem butt hurt, because some one is callenging your stone age thinking. Do what you do. I am happy for you. I would never tell you to do any thing different if it works for you. I think you should follow the same advice, and not get aggitate that some one does some thing other than what you do.
9/10/12 11:42 AM
jeremy hamilton

Weightlifting is a sport of the snatch and clean and jerk, it's never anything else. Brian Schwab is Powerlifter.

It seems you don't know the difference between the 2 sports.

Why you getting so mad? You said that you have to change things up constantly. I said that you don't. I know many great lifters that never change anything. No need to get mad.
9/10/12 11:53 AM
Seemore Butts

jeremy hamilton - Weightlifting is a sport of the snatch and clean and jerk, it's never anything else. Brian Schwab is Powerlifter.

It seems you don't know the difference between the 2 sports.

Why you getting so mad? You said that you have to change things up constantly. I said that you don't. I know many great lifters that never change anything. No need to get mad.

Jeremy,

Why are we talking about olympic weightlifting?

Did you read the title of the thread? This is a powerlifting discussion. I didn't know you were talking about weightlifting, because holy shit, it is a thread about powerlifting. Does that make sense to you? He asked me questions about my powerlifting program, and you bring up weightlifting and wonder why I am so confused.

Did you ever consider, the methods utilized in both sports are completely different? I have done both sports, so I know THEY ARE OPPOSITE in training methods. Your posts make sense for WEIGTLIFTING, but this is not a thread about WEIGHTLIFTING METHODS. It is about powerlifting and equipment.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.