UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Pain in Sternum, Upper Abs and Middle Back

9/5/12 12:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, I got a pain in my sternum, upper abs and middle back. I only feel this pain when I'm doing my core workout, if I sleep on my side or when I cough. When I do cough, it's pretty painful. But it subsides shortly after the cough stops. I also feel some serious strain when I do straight leg raises and hip lifts.

I'm thinking its one of the following exercises, but of course I can't be entirely certain:

Weighted Decline Sit-ups-45lb Plate)
Chest Dips (I lean forward to isolate chest)
Standing One Arm Cable Row-110lbs (Sometimes I twist at torso)
Standing Close-Grip Front Lat Pulldown-130-150lbs (Sometimes I lean forward to stimulate abs)

Any advice on nursing this injury w/o stopping my chest and ab workouts completely? Time to recover?
9/5/12 12:27 PM
Authority Figure

I also do a Standing Military Press-70bs

(If it started as a back injury that worked its way to my abs, this is the culprit?)

All the weight exercises I do 8-10 reps x 3 sets. Of course I do other exercises in tandem, sometimes as a part of a 3-4 exercise rotation with no rest until complete sets are finished on each exercise.

Now that I think about it, I can feel the strain when I do pull ups and chin ups as well. Upper Ab and Sternum mostly.
9/5/12 1:48 PM
Authority Figure

Cotdamnit, I need advice. lol
9/5/12 1:56 PM
TzTinkle
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any heartburn? Could be a hiatal hernia.
9/5/12 2:48 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ring dips?
9/5/12 5:20 PM
JMurda
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe a slightly collapsed lung, does it hurt when you take in a deep breath or lift your arms (no weight) overhead? Phone Post
9/5/12 11:23 PM
Authority Figure

JMurda -  Maybe a slightly collapsed lung, does it hurt when you take in a deep breath or lift your arms (no weight) overhead? Phone Post

I don't think so. I can breathe fine. I ran a 25min 5K this morning, but it did feel sore while I ran. I can also sleep on my stomach (chest down). So I can't imagine it's a lung issue.

I'm not experiencing any heartburn at all.
9/5/12 11:24 PM
Authority Figure

ArthurKnoqOut -  ring dips?

I'd think those would put more pressure on my check and abs. Besides, I'm pretty sure those are for gymnasts and homosexuals who are pretending to be gymnasts. (j/k)
9/6/12 8:43 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am, in fact, the latter...hahaha although not a true homosexual as I only give it up the pooper to females. 

I was basically saying that I get the same thing from ring dips without having to write it all out haha

I highly doubt it's a lung issue but most likely it's you "leaning too forward" on dips as I've stated I experience a similar sensation (although not to your extent of pain while sleeping). 
9/6/12 8:57 AM
Authority Figure

I'm guessing I'm going to have to cut out a portion of my upper body workout for a few weeks. I hate cutting back.

I've got a 5K in a couple weeks. I was going to try and break my PR. I hope this doesn't distract me, as I will need to be running like the wind. lol

Hey, what kind of yoga do you study? I used to dabble in Ashtanga.
9/6/12 10:47 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

just train to run the 5k forget the rest broseph... I started with yoga a few years ago in the "Bikhram" tradition but then I met a true yogini (at a Bellator FC event, actually) and she got me into Vinyasa/Ashtanga practice, then after a year or so I've gotten into Hatha and it's been my fave since. It's amazing but any yoga practice is dope, provided the atmosphere and the instructor is of high quality. In NYC and other cities as well there's the donations based Yoga to the People that I used to go to for Vinyasa/Ashtanga but my problem with them is that they often aren't very good and play horrible music. My girlfriend was at one last week and the instructor played KTU which is like a top 40 hits station so Gotye came on mid-practice...like WTF is that lol
9/6/12 10:18 PM
Jack Carter
759 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Costochondroitis

It never fully goes away. Phone Post
9/6/12 10:21 PM
Jack Carter
759 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get a rib brace.

It wraps around your torso, keeping your rib cage from expanding so much during workouts.

Also hold your breath when you can while doing reps. This helps stabilize your rib cage. Phone Post
9/6/12 11:23 PM
Authority Figure

Arthur: I loved Ashtanga. Just couldn't keep it up with wife and kid.

Jack: I hope not. I hate braces. But if I had to...guess I need to make a doctor appointment. Ugh. Phone Post
9/6/12 11:26 PM
Authority Figure

Trying to feel like this

Phone Post
9/7/12 8:16 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

that's me after yoga (although I finish my practice on Fridays at 10 PM) after I shower the layers of sweat off of me.

You should get yo wife into it. I do it with my girlfriend 
9/7/12 10:53 PM
Authority Figure

My wife is a TurboFire devotee. lol Phone Post
9/8/12 4:48 PM
Authority Figure

I tried these ab exercises today. Not bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nxR2liOdGI&feature=

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.