UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Thinking of becoming a personal trainer

9/11/12 12:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
imkeithhernandez
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Such great advice here guys..Thanks..obviously I know an exercise science degree would be great...but I already have my bachelors in Spanish education and going back for another degree and sinking all that money and time into university isn't an option financially with the jobs I have now. Phone Post
9/11/12 1:46 AM
Chocolate Shatner
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Then find the time to intern with a strength coach that you can admire and trust. If you live in a city with a university that has any athletics program, go talk to their strength coach. While a Division I big school guy may be a bit hesitant, a lot of small school coaches will be happy to have anyone who's willing to help out and learn.
9/11/12 10:27 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know that Taku is one of the most decorated CSCS and Personal Trainers out there haha. 

Chocolate Shatner, I'm finishing up my BS in pre-med which is really BS in Bio and I can tell you that I wouldn't know where to start drilling your teeth :P

9/11/12 5:15 PM
Chocolate Shatner
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AKO likes to drill something else......

I kid, I kid.....

?

But in all seriousness, that is why I don't especially like certifications being the only measure of if someone is qualified to be a trainer.
9/11/12 6:19 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah of course. Like I technically have no "certifications" for nutrition yet I see what sort of stupid nonsense others who are "certified" spew out and I am thinking "wtf are you doing -___-?" 

and I do like to drill other things...females to be exact...

My buddy Eugene's input (he's not on the forums unfortunately but I forwraded him this thread in an email)

"... as for the thread, i think Taku makes a good point. all certs are horseshit but the NSCA CSCS is still the one that is required for pro sport. as for gyms: if you wanted to be a crossfit trainer you need a crossfit cert. if you wanted to be an equinox trainer you need to do their program. for my gym all i require is a cpr/first aid. then i give ppl cases and they write. then i watch them teach. then if i am happy they have a job. I am not a big ACSM guy.

even for self study, how do we know which books to read and which certs to pursue? well you rly need to work with ppl you respect and see making a difference "
9/11/12 6:58 PM
Taku
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

C.S. if someone influenced by Mike Boyle (or even Boyle himself) wanted to work with me...I would send them packing. Not a fan of Boyle at all. Elite FTS not much higher on my list.

That's just me.

TAKU
9/11/12 7:41 PM
Chocolate Shatner

TAKU,

That's fine. I personally am not too high up on the Mike Boyle fan list either. His hardon for single leg work and his books talking about functionality I think are off the mark. However, I have to say that the dude has produced good results. Same with EliteFTS. While I again will state that their focus on the powerlifts I think is too much, since they founded themselves as a powerlifting gym, I guess that works for them.

At the same time, you and I don't see eye to eye on the application of HIT training. You would honestly think I use too much volume in training programs, while there are HIT guys that I think use too little. But that doesn't lower the level of respect I have for you, or anyone who learned from you. If you sent someone over to a gym I run with a letter of recommendation, I'd immediately want to see this person in action, and see what they can do.

I would of course take someone who did their internship with a Div 1 university over them. The wide variety of people covered by your average Div 1 strength coach is immense. Power athletes, strength athletes, endurance athletes, balance, rehabilitation, men, women, whatever, they probably have to face it at some point in the year.

But not everyone has access to a Div 1 university. I live in Japan for Chrissakes. My local university focuses on medical students, and the gym is fucking pathetic. Their sports teams are clubs, with the athletes more or less coaching themselves and having no guidance on off season training, lifting, nutrition or anything. I'm sure many other people are in similar situations.
9/11/12 11:31 PM
imkeithhernandez
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jeez you guys are making me think Im getting out of my league..haha..All kidding aside..Thanks for helping with the decision making process. Phone Post
9/12/12 3:02 PM
jamtmann
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting Taku, I also have CSCS from...I guess about 1993 and have had a few publications in their journals. I too have lost faith in them and resent having to pay the continuing ed fee every few years to maintain the certification...fully agree with you.
9/12/12 3:44 PM
HERTSWENIP
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/12/12 3:50 PM
Taku- I'm curious- what does the USAW Sports Performance Coach cert entail? Is it a course centered on the O-lifts?

Years ago I had a coworker with one, he was a bit of a braggart, and anytime I asked him about it he'd just nod his head and say yes to everything.

I never saw him do any O-lifts though, himself nor his clients.
9/12/12 5:18 PM
Taku
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey HERTS,

The SPC cert from USAW is basically taking the O-lifts and their varations and applying them to creating programs for sports other than O-lifting. Personally my feeling is that hey created this cert to have another revenue stream, and to broaden the reach of O-lifitng to modalities in their application to other sports.

I took the course for a few reasons.

1. I had gone through a period when I practiced and trained with O-lifts and was interested in learning more about them. I was lucky enough to work closely with Jim Schmitz for several years and we became good friends.

2. Jim was the instructor teaching the course so I wanted to pay my respects and take a course with him.

3. I feel that all S&C caoches should be familiar with the O-lifts despite which modality they umltimately choose to use most often.

C.S. I vary my approach broadly with regards to volume and frequency of training. On the low end I may do as few as 5-6 hard work sets in a workout. On the high end I may do as many as 15-20 hard work sets. Most often I train with about 8-12 hard worksets. With regards to frequency, I may take off 5-7 days on the high end of recovery between workouts, and 1-2 days on the low end. Most often I rest 3-5 days between hard strength sessions.

TAKU 
9/12/12 7:42 PM
Chocolate Shatner

TAKU,

Your volume is a bit lower than mine, but I do tend to program a lot more frequency, usually 3 times a week or 4 for someone not doing another activity. I myself usually do about 12 work sets for the main focus of the day, with another 6 to 8 of assistance work. Of course it varies, with me waving within a week and having one exercise be only a total of about 12 sets main lifts and assistance lifts.

Cool knowledge man.
9/12/12 9:40 PM
HERTSWENIP
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool. Do you think it's a good cert for someone who wanted to master the O-lifts?
9/13/12 9:44 AM
Taku

HERTS,

Not really. It is a well developed course and I do like the way they break down the techniques and the teaching progressions etc. However, it is still only a course covering a couple of days. IMHO one needs a lot more supervision and coaching under an experienced eye to truly perfect the O-lifts.

If someone is interested in them and already exploring...it's not a bad course to take.

Again, for me, I do not recommend the O-lifts to my clients unless they already have a backround in them and want to continue, or if they just really want to use them passionately.

Otherwise I do not use them with myself or my clients.

TAKU
9/13/12 1:44 PM
Taku

Hey C.S., You are living in Japan? I did not know that. I lived in Micronesia for a while and could speak some Nihonjin lingo back in the day. Where are you over there? Are you familiar with "Strong S". They are affiliated with the NSPA and bring them over to do certs now and then. You should track them down. I had some Rumina Sato S&C training tapes produced by STRONG S in Japan. Interesting stuff. TAKU
9/13/12 4:57 PM
Chocolate Shatner

Taku,

I live in Nagano prefecture, where the amount of strength training is, shall we say, severely limited? I only have been able to train with Olympic bars (as opposed to 28 mm bars) for the past year and a half or so (I'm rectifying that situation as we speak). So, I haven't heard of Strong S sadly to say, I'll check them out.
9/13/12 7:09 PM
Chocolate Shatner

Wow TAKU, just found strong s on the net. Super jealous, seriously. These cats can charge that much for gym memberships in Tokyo, and that much for personal training? Holy fuck. I'm charging about 10-15% of that. Then again, my cost of living is a lot less, but still. Holy fuck.
12/22/12 3:22 PM
imkeithhernandez

Ttt
1/12/13 9:02 AM
virux11b
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub. Phone Post
1/14/13 11:18 AM
Ninjaplata
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recently graduated in August with a BS in exercise science. I don't have any other certs and don't plan on getting any more any time soon. My degree is the most extensive certification I need for now.

I am quickly learning personal training is more than just putting people through workouts. depending on your situation, it's a lot of networking, marketing, and building an image.

having business cards and a simple website will help.

I'm new to all this as well so I'm open to any and all suggestions as well. Phone Post
1/16/13 6:02 PM
Tommy Gunnz
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

relative to my interests
1/26/13 4:10 PM
imkeithhernandez

Ttt Phone Post
1/26/13 5:41 PM
BshMstr
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub'd.
2/11/13 1:30 PM
5pointer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

do you need to be certified to train in your home?
2/21/13 3:16 PM
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you all think about the ISSA cert? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.