UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Thinking of becoming a personal trainer

2/21/13 4:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Taku
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you all think about the ISSA cert? <--- CRAP!!

2/21/13 6:00 PM
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is that? Phone Post
2/22/13 5:05 AM
Chocolate Shatner
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kyle,

I can't speak for TAKU, but for my own history and POV, the ISSA kinda gets lumped in with a lot of other training certs (ACE, NASM, etc) in that they really don't actually teach effective exercising. Even the CSCS, which I used to hold in high regard, has diminished as I've seen tard after tard on the net posting articles and advice that is, quite frankly, stupid.

The basics of any cert like the ISSA is not to actually teach effective exercise. Instead, they give the barest covering of the shallow end of the pool, covered up with a ton of (usually) cert organization specific jargon. With it, a person with little to no real ability to train or even to lift themselves can earn a "certification" saying that they are a trainer that supposedly knows what the fuck they are doing. In reality, they know just enough to not totally fuck someone up, as long as they actually follow the cert and don't replace it with the years of bro-science that they already know.

An ISSA cert wouldn't have you doing real squats, whether they be goblet, back, front, or whatever. However, 1 legged balancing on a BOSU while pressing dumbbells overhead? Oh hell yeah, according to the ISSA.

As for jargon, I remember when I spent the money back in 2003 for a NASM CPT. At the time, the NASM system supposedly had (if I remember correctly, I have since lost the textbooks) 14 levels of program design for training someone. Now, never mind that in the text specifically it stated that the average person would never go beyond level 4 or 5, the differences between levels 1,2 or levels 10 and up were so miniscule and stupid that you could tell they were created for the only purpose of making some douchebag trainer a lot of money, or for bamboozling gullible clients who get impressed with a lot of acronyms, jargon, and being able to make stupid comments like "we design a specific workout for you based off of one of the 14 different categories of trainee you are, in order to prepare the safest, most effective workout for you!"

The pure fact is, good trainers get that way through a shit-ton of hard work and effort. That means not only book study, but time "under the bar," learning the reality of balance points for the different exercises. A good trainer is not some beach-muscled douchebag who moonlights as a trainer while trying to get work as a model for Hollister or A&F in between trying out for parts in movies or whatever the fuck else they are doing.

The fact is, the best trainers on this board, IMO are Dougie (vermonter), TAKU, and Wiggy (no disprespect to others, but these guys just stand out for me, no homo). None of them are, no offense guys, fashion models. But they know their shit because they've put in the time. Not because of an ISSA cert.
2/22/13 6:59 AM
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I just need a cert for work and such. I already knew I wouldn't learn much from it. Been studying the ace also. I've just found the ace to be really hard to read and just plan dumb, so I was wondering if Issa was any better. Phone Post
2/22/13 8:26 AM
Chocolate Shatner
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

both are just pieces of paper that are only useful for getting some place to hire you. Other than that, they aren't worth shit.
2/22/13 1:12 PM
Taku
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

C.S. is on a roll...Awesome post brother!!

"The basics of any cert like the ISSA is not to actually teach effective exercise. Instead, they give the barest covering of the shallow end of the pool, covered up with a ton of (usually) cert organization specific jargon. With it, a person with little to no real ability to train or even to lift themselves can earn a "certification" saying that they are a trainer that supposedly knows what the fuck they are doing. In reality, they know just enough to not totally fuck someone up, as long as they actually follow the cert and don't replace it with the years of bro-science that they already know." <---THIS

TAKU

2/23/13 8:25 AM
JBryan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some good overall info here: http://www.starting-a-personal-training-business.com/

I have let some of mine expire. Don't have much faith in many Certs now.
2/25/13 4:29 PM
Taku

JBryan,

Agreed...After years and years and over 10-12 certs, I only keep two active. Both rom the NSPA.

This is a good resource: http://www.starting-a-personal-training-business.com/

TAKU

2/26/13 5:17 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

similar to the nutrition field i see haha
3/9/13 12:05 PM
vermonter
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/09/13 12:09 PM
Chocolate Shatner - The fact is, the best trainers on this board, IMO are Dougie (vermonter), TAKU, and Wiggy (no disprespect to others, but these guys just stand out for me, no homo). None of them are, no offense guys, fashion models. But they know their shit because they've put in the time. Not because of an ISSA cert.

Uhhh, fucking excuse me?

Vermonter, takes exception to the blatantly incorrect statement about how handsome he is.

The rest of the post is correct though... I mean I almost didn't even graduate high school, so just get whatever cert your work requires that is the cheapest.
3/12/13 3:04 PM
Wet

Edited: 03/12/13 3:05 PM
95% of the trainers out there SUCK!!!!<br />Not because they dont know proper routines (even though many of them dont) but because they suck at dealing with people. You gotta learn to be a friend to these people, know how to motivate them, show them how they're progressing. You gotta make the client get to the gym solely because they dont wanna let YOU down. If you arent a people person and highly effective at motivating people, then dont bother. Also, you better look the part. Ive had people ask me in the middle of their traning session if i would train them right in front of THEIR trainer, just because my arms are bigger than his legs lol. Remember that its EASY to get clients, whats hard is keeping them.
3/12/13 9:48 PM
Taku

Wet,

I can't tell how huge your arms are...But your face looks like Mountain Dew.

TAKU

3/12/13 11:25 PM
Wet

Taku - 

Wet,

I can't tell how huge your arms are...But your face looks like Mountain Dew.

TAKU

19 inch arms. Which i know isnt huge, but they do look that way when compared to the personal trainers who look like a smaller version of Screech.
I dont care how many degrees a person has. If you cant/wont put all your knowdlege into making yourself look better, then why should anyone pay you to make them look better?
3/13/13 12:23 AM
Chocolate Shatner

The idiocy of some who only judge trainers off of their appearance is ridiculous.

Geoff Capes today looks like your average Hoverround driving pile of horseshit.

On the other hand, Geoff Capes is a 2 times winner of the World's Strongest Man, a former UK record holder in shot and discus, and overall track and field badass. If he wanted to give advice on how to achieve success in training, you damn well better listen to him.
3/13/13 3:50 PM
Dan Pagan
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
3/14/13 11:01 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so Choc, you're saying that because I look like a skinned, muscular cheetah (Bryan Callen joke) I can't be a CPT because I'm not a meathead? dammit!!! Need to stop with endurance sports.
3/14/13 7:40 PM
Chocolate Shatner

AKO,

Not at all. Although ewww on a skinned cheetah. What I am saying is that people judging a trainer based solely off of their "guns" or some other exterior hint is a setup for failure on their part.

For example, when I was in a chain gym, the busiest trainer wasn't the most knowledgeable, sadly enough. I worked with the best trainer all the time, picking her brain (yeah, it was a chick). But, the best trainer was also pushing 50, and while fit, was no beauty queen honestly.

The busiest trainer was the 36 year old former beauty queen MILF who didn't know shit. She would come to me at least once a week with a "hey, what do you think I should do with this guy?" issue. Her main training "assets" were quite obvious when she wore yoga pants and a tight shirt to the gym. Didn't make her a good trainer.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.