UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Oly lifting shoes for squats. Yes or No? and why?

9/5/12 9:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Laval Luc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thoughts? Ok to squat in them or only use them for Oly lifts? Been squatting in them recently and they feel awesome. Foot really feels planted into the floor. Phone Post
9/5/12 10:24 PM
Amado
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buy chucks. They're cheaper and work just as well.

The problem I could see with Oly shoes are the heels which would make you lean forward more than you have too. You'll lose power because your form will be fucked.

Just a guess tho. Phone Post
9/6/12 12:28 AM
1800champagne

Great for high bar squats or Olympic lifts. Other than that, barefoot is the way to go. Phone Post
9/6/12 2:36 AM
Leigh
953 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A solid shoe with a heel is great for squatting Phone Post
9/6/12 9:28 AM
jeremy hamilton
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wear Oly shoes for squatting and I will never go back to Chucks or any other flat shoe. Your feet feel like they are in cement. Makes for a tougher walk out but once you are planted you're not moving.
9/7/12 8:59 PM
BrutalMedic
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oly shoes (or any "solid show with a heel" as Leigh suggested is great for squatting.

What the heel provides for you is solid base before you reach the limitation of your ankle mobility, which would in turn limit your squat depth. Basically, a heel will prevent you from getting your squat depth from a leaning forward instead of keep up your torso up tall and strong.

I'll note here that for Powerlifting style squats, barefoot (or flat sole i.e. Chucks) are best. But if you are squatting with a more narrow stance or ass to grass, you can't really go wrong with a heeled shoe.
9/8/12 1:49 PM
Andy the man

I NEED some of these in my life.

Is there a 'rule of the thumb' where you must get a size or half a size bigger than what you usually are or not?
9/9/12 3:08 PM
HERTSWENIP
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amado -  Buy chucks. They're cheaper and work just as well.

The problem I could see with Oly shoes are the heels which would make you lean forward more than you have too. You'll lose power because your form will be fucked.

Just a guess tho. Phone Post

Incorrect. The elevated heel shifts your CG forward, so that your spine must be more upright in order to maintain balance.
9/9/12 3:09 PM
HERTSWENIP
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What Jeremy said. Oly shoes make deep squatting so much more comfortabe.
9/11/12 9:20 AM
jeremy hamilton
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Andy the man - I NEED some of these in my life.

Is there a 'rule of the thumb' where you must get a size or half a size bigger than what you usually are or not?

I wear a size 10 in Chucks and a size 11 in the Nike Romaleos (WL Shoe).

Also, the Romaleos run the same size as the Nike Free I have found.

I don't know about the Addidas sizing but there is a lot of info in this BB.com thread about every WL shoe ever made.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113028901

There, I just helped you out even though you hate my input here for some reason and you hate Powerlifters.
9/12/12 1:03 AM
EdgeHoboken
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/12/12 1:03 AM
Wrestling shoes double rather well in the weight room, too...pun intended
9/16/12 9:01 PM
Mudderfaeg
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm fie with my Nike Frees. Just saying. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.