UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Leaving Congo... 3 days ago I buried a Pygmy baby.

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
9/6/12 9:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
justinthevikingwren
990 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/10/12 4:07 PM

Here is the video I made beside Andibo's grave after we covered him up at the burial... This is my first youtube video to post so I don't know why but you can hear it better with headphones or on my phone better than you can hear it on my computer.

Caution: After you read "hardest point..." Know you have the option to stop reading. If you read it your heart will surely be burdened or break.

So I am in Uganda after leaving Eastern Congo (DRC) and have had many UG posters ask that I keep them updated so I thought I'd post a thread. 

The last 3 weeks I have had the opportunity to learn, love and live with The Mbuti Pygmies. I was in the deep parts of the second largest rainforest in the world. 

Some highlights

•I was accepted as a friend in 8 Mbuti Pygmy villages in the Ituri rainforest 
•I was accepted as family in 2 of villages and was even given my own Pygmy name.
•The chief and my new brother named me "Efeosa" which means "The man who loves us."
•It seems crazy to me but even many of the chief's in the deep forest had only heard of, but never seen a person with white skin. MANY people ran and hid behind trees or dove into their huts until finding we were friendly. 
•I slept in 4 foot tall leaf huts during the rainy season of the rainforest.
•I got to TRULY love and share life with the unloved people of the Congo jungle
•I got to pay for Bongo's senior year of school and his state exam's before the school year starts... He can now be one of the first Mbuti Pygmies to ever get a diploma.
•Sponsoring a water well (water source is being searched for now.)
•The Pygmies chased out and killed a black mamba that was in the hut next to me.

Hardest point...

•digging the grave and burying Andibo, a Mbuti Pygmy who was only 1 and a half years old. 

I went having the intention of and knowing that I would SHARE their suffering. I didn't expect what I saw though...

Last year on my visit I heard stories of neglect, of rejection, of human slavery, and even some of the worst acts against humanity you could imagine. But still didn't know of what I heard was fully true or not. It's one thing to collect bunch of information... It's another thing to learn from experience. After these three weeks I feel I have some experience in sharing their pain. I feel I am suppose to be a voice of the unvoiced, love the unloved, and fight for the forgotten. 

Four days ago I heard that we were needed to see if we could help a desperately sick mamma and baby boy to the hospital because they couldn't possibly walk...

When we arrived we stumbled upon a less than a hour old dead body of a 1 and a half year old baby boy. Andibo was still bleeding from his ears... His mother was suffering from such drastic starvation that she didn't even have the energy to weep. I didn't even know that was possible...

Three days ago I dug the grave and buried Andibo. The tribe said we might as well dig two because mamma was going to die soon too. I've never heard sorrow and pain come from human beings like I did that day.

Why would they suppose mamma was going to die shortly after her son? 

Because Andibo's death was preventable.. Mamma's soon to be death they knew was preventable too... But they knew something I didn't... People don't care about them enough to help. 

1 & 1/2 year old Andibo was DENIED treatment and REJECTED at the hospital... TWICE!!! $5-$15 for his total treatment would have been the cost to save his life but the hospital didn't want to "waste" medicine on a "Pygmy Animal."
9/6/12 9:19 AM
justinthevikingwren
990 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/06/12 9:20 AM

Mamma got treatment once and was rejected the other time. 

Up until I felt Andibo's lifeless body I had only heard similar horror stories but I had never lived it. 

Until then I didn't truly believe the stories I had heard of Pygmy Children dying from denial at hospitals... Nurses and doctors get into medicine to help people don't they? I couldn't imagine it. 

Pygmies are "owned" by their Bantu slave masters. I personally witnessed 60 year old women being paid only 20 CENTS... 20 cent's worth of banana's, salt or soap for 10-12 hours of work. HARD work in the fields. I met at least 8-10 men who said they OWN the Pygmies. 

The hospital didn't treat Andibo because he was a Mbuti... He was the son of a widowed slave... Who's husband already died of sickness and now she had also fallen ill and couldn't pay a few dollars for her son's treatment. They certainly tried though... 

Mamma was sick too and the chief gave a chicken to the hospital to treat them both and it only got mamma 1/10th of the treatment she needed... They told her she was too dirty to stay at the hospital and for them both to leave. 

Firewood, salt, and eggs were brought and they even scrapped up 3 dollars for Andibo's treatment. He was still rejected.... And ultimately died. How could this EVER be possible???

The same Bantu's that are the slave masters in the fields... Are the same Bantu's that work at the hospitals. Maybe the husband owns the "Pygmy Animal slave" in the field and the wife is the nurse who is at the hospital. 

Now, quick disclaimer... I met some good individual Bantu's but culturally and as a whole they are BRUTALIZING the Pygmies. Because of the Bantu's neglect and racism Pygmy children are LITERALLY dying of preventable diseases. 

I am wrecked... So many good things happened and then at the same time I saw so much suffering. As we got mamma some fresh fish and fruits... Only then did she finally have the energy to mourn her child's death. 

Here is my request for you guys...

I feel the intense burden to continue to go back and to maybe start a foundation, organization, or non profit for the Pygmy people. 

I found an incredible team of local Congolese that are helping develop and LOVE the Pygmies from the developmental program of a Eastern Congo University... They are buying Pygmies their own land to escape the slave owners. Building schools for Pygmies, water wells, giving some medicine and they plan much much more.

Do you have any idea's on how to be a VOICE for these people who have no voice?

I know I am only one, but I can do what I can. Do you think a foundation for these people would be something that would be possible? That could make an impact ad a difference? If so how do you start one? 

My hope would to be to help start a movement to bring assistance, aid, equality, HOPE and LOVE to a hurting people. To help them develop into equal people with the tribes that surround them. My heart is just so broken for these people and I really can't understand how human beings can literally believe and treat other humans like they are wild, disgusting animals. 

Really I am running on fumes Physically and about to sleep in the airport in Uganda bc i gave away some expenses to help Bongo go to school... I am exhausted  and was in some pretty harsh conditions so sorry for rambling the last bit. I am ranting... But hoping to get some feedback.

Please help me with some insightful feedback!

Please let me know how I can get this cause out there!
9/6/12 9:25 AM
mortician
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT.RIP
9/6/12 9:25 AM
cross3dout
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow 5-15 dollars... That hurt. Phone Post
9/6/12 9:32 AM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
9/6/12 9:37 AM
justinthevikingwren

unclehulka13 - Help the kids in America. Phone Post
This is your response???

Do you help kids in America? I truly want your answer and that's about it you troll.

I try... I am an official volunteer at the 4th best rated Children's hospital in the USA... Had to do several training courses to get there. I also organized the Children's Hospital visits that were covered by Inside MMA.

Let me ask you a question though real quick... Are there kids denied hospital treatment and dying in America... Denied medicine?

I try do things on the local level, national level, and international level.

Locally at the children's hospital... Once a week at my church youth group... Also visit local juvenile detention centers.

Are you satisfied now? Phone Post
9/6/12 9:43 AM
spliff
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/6/12 9:45 AM
spliff
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/06/12 9:44 AM
  sad story
9/6/12 9:52 AM
Tat2tillidie
356 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT it's awesome that you're helping ... I'm broke as hell but would love to help anyway I can ... Would you take clothes as donations ? What can I do ? Phone Post
9/6/12 9:52 AM
Tat2tillidie
356 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT it's awesome that you're helping ... I'm broke as hell but would love to help anyway I can ... Would you take clothes as donations ? What can I do ? Phone Post
9/6/12 9:54 AM
Tat2tillidie

unclehulka13 -
justinthevikingwren -
This is your response???

Do you help kids in America? I truly want your answer and that's about it you troll.

I try... I am an official volunteer at the 4th best rated Children's hospital in the USA... Had to do several training courses to get there. I also organized the Children's Hospital visits that were covered by Inside MMA.

Let me ask you a question though real quick... Are there kids denied hospital treatment and dying in America... Denied medicine?

Locally at the children's hospital... Once a week at my church youth group... Also visit local juvenile detention centers.

Not really? Are you looking for praise? This is an mma forum. Post on the helpingcongokidsground Phone Post
Did you notice the green name you faggot ... He's a fighter helping people who don't have the means to help themselves ... Go troll some other thread ... This is for the awesome work justin is doing and is for those who'd like to contribute anyway try can ... Phone Post
9/6/12 9:56 AM
aolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad, you can open a website with some more information, pictures, stories and link to donations..
9/6/12 9:57 AM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

unclehulka13 -
justinthevikingwren -
This is your response???

Not really? Are you looking for praise? This is an mma forum. Post on the helpingcongokidsground Phone Post
Amazing the level of douchebaggery the Internet creates Phone Post
9/6/12 9:59 AM
future_champ
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Justin thanks for all you are doing!
9/6/12 9:59 AM
Tom O'Bedlam
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

unclehulka13 -  Help the kids in America. Phone Post

Don't pay attention to this faggotry.

Great post, thank you for doing so much to give back to humanity.

9/6/12 10:02 AM
RLL
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Justin,

I hope this doesnt get skipped over. You need to join Reddit.com and post a new submission to the AMA (Ask Me Anything) section (I spent 3 weeks with The Mbuti Pygmies and helped bury one of their children, AMA) . Reddit now also has a built in system for donations. This site has raised millions of dollars in donations for other stories like this in the past. Go there with your stories from your visit, show them pictures, ask for help and they will vote you to the top and begin providing donations. Be sure to have your charity info ready before you post, as hopefully the money will start rolling in.

RLL
9/6/12 10:05 AM
Modal Jazz
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hulka.... you're a real prick.

Justin... much respect to you. you've
obviously got a big heart and the world
needs more folks like you.

post a pay pal address and I'd be happy to make a small donation

(and before hulka asks... yes I do give to
locally based charities as well) Phone Post
9/6/12 10:06 AM
The Popeye
453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Green name or not he is helping kids.

Unclehulka, thanks so much for your valuable and insightfull contribution to this forum. The world is truly a better place because of you.
9/6/12 10:07 AM
Soul Gravy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/6/12 10:09 AM
Bromovich
351 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn :( Phone Post
9/6/12 10:10 AM
Tat2tillidie

Ask KIRIK to post on the UG news ... Also if you do a redddit definitely post the link here I post it everywhere ... TTT Phone Post
9/6/12 10:13 AM
justinthevikingwren

The Loge - I think it's beautiful that you're traveling to some real desolate places for the sole purpose of helping those less fortunate and I'm sure you only have the purest of altruistic intentions in mind. That being said how do you feel about the idea that in doing so you're spreading cultural death and unknowingly homogenizing some of the worlds most diverse cultures? I'm really not trying to be a dick I'm just curious to hear your personal opinion on that idea. Phone Post
I'm working with the local university to PRESERVE their culture... They have had all their land stolen... ALL of it.

I was there when the Pygmies got about 100 acres or more of virgin forest... Meaning not illegally cut yet. The Pygmies have started moving onto the land. They will be able to live the way they want to live. They will be free on that and they are looking at 4-5 square kilometers to start fundraising for. Virgin forest is $400 per HECTOR which is 2.47 acres. They bought some already and just gave it to the Pygmies to preserve their culture. To preserve their language they have begun to lose, etc. Phone Post
9/6/12 10:14 AM
AJDavis
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad story, sadder still some of the responses. Goes to show how ill our society is! The Pigmys need help, and so do people all over the world. All of them deserve as much help as we can give them, no matter from where they are, what tribe they are members of, and what language they speak!
The sorry attitude from some of the above posters, is exactly whats is wrong with a big portion of our species!
Its awesome that Justin the Vicking is able to bring attention to what is one more sorry story of how un human, we humans are becoming. I have heard and read about the Pigmys before. Different then some of the other unfortunate i the US for example, they are hunter gatherers, caught up in an ever evolving world, and will be constant victims of it, until enough people realize it, and take up their cause.
We should all direct as much help as we can, to them, and to any other humans or group of humans that we can touch. The idiots who posted above, should be deeply ashamed of their attitudes. The internet is great in giving us insight on just how sick our society has become.
Keep the effort up Justin the Vicking, do not give heed to the sorry souls who even when confronted with something like this, are able to spill their ignorance and illness on it. They are in as much need of assistance as the Pigmys!
9/6/12 10:16 AM
justinthevikingwren

unclehulka13 -
justinthevikingwren -
This is your response???

I'm not really trying to satisfy you... I'm not doing what I am doing for you.

It just shows your character in your post. Most post I've seen you post you are a total low life... I will post here. If you don't want to read, don't click on my threads. Phone Post
9/6/12 10:18 AM
justinthevikingwren

Tat2tillidie - TTT it's awesome that you're helping ... I'm broke as hell but would love to help anyway I can ... Would you take clothes as donations ? What can I do ? Phone Post
Absolutely!

They are SLAVES for clothes. Clothes are a need for sure.

Thanks bro! I'll let you know! Phone Post
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.