UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Leaving Congo... 3 days ago I buried a Pygmy baby.

9/6/12 11:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bookworm
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

justinthevikingwren -
future_champ - Justin thanks for all you are doing!
Thanks bro!

Btw with your name future champ and no greenname is that your hopes?

If so best wishes brotha! Phone Post
Hey Im not able to donate monetarily but i happen to have a ton of children's clothing that I was going to donate and I would love to send some your way to help. Toddler shoes as well. It's mostly for girls, but do you think it would help? If so send me a pm. Phone Post
9/6/12 11:27 PM
anthonyMI
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I sya this with all due respect for what you are doing: be careful with clothing donations. Westerners donating clothes to Africa has done a lot of damage to economies up and down the continent. Clothing manufacture is one of the strongest parts of any more traditional economy, for women especially. Donations have made that profession much more difficult, making tons of Africans unemployed. Again, especially women.

I don't know that Pygmy situation very well, but keep that in mind.
9/6/12 11:51 PM
jTheHybridwolff
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your a amazing Human Being Justin !
God Bless you ! Phone Post
9/7/12 12:10 AM
DiscipleDojo
648 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disciple Dojo, L3C, Founder
anthonyMI - I sya this with all due respect for what you are doing: be careful with clothing donations. Westerners donating clothes to Africa has done a lot of damage to economies up and down the continent. Clothing manufacture is one of the strongest parts of any more traditional economy, for women especially. Donations have made that profession much more difficult, making tons of Africans unemployed. Again, especially women.

This is a valid point worth considering. Microfinancing and partnering with local/indigenous businesses or individuals would be something to look into. 

But that doesn't mean clothing donations are automatically bad. Just something to consider, as anthonyMI is saying.
9/7/12 12:15 AM
Mayhem13
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anthonyMI - I sya this with all due respect for what you are doing: be careful with clothing donations. Westerners donating clothes to Africa has done a lot of damage to economies up and down the continent. Clothing manufacture is one of the strongest parts of any more traditional economy, for women especially. Donations have made that profession much more difficult, making tons of Africans unemployed. Again, especially women.

That's a good point, and I really don't know either way..

But do you think there are clothing manufacturing plants/stores delivering or selling clothes to them that deep in the rainforest?

I have no clue, but think it would be a different circumstance being that secluded and all.. Phone Post
9/7/12 12:25 AM
droplogic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Talk to ghengiseanie, he's supposedly into fundraising. Phone Post
9/7/12 1:17 AM
KZTT_FawkingxD
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How do we donate?! Ttt Phone Post
9/7/12 1:26 AM
MMA Translations
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

and if your life isn't more interesting than OPs, and if you aren't doing more good than OP for anyone but yourself, feel free to not post.

9/7/12 1:30 AM
StretchPlum

What's key in aid to Africa is making sure it is not all stolen.
9/7/12 1:37 AM
Dajuisher
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
9/7/12 2:02 AM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
9/7/12 3:00 AM
Mayweedz
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great story, you are doing a good deed. I am also a little concerned like some of the other posters about how aid is transmitted in certain parts of Africa, even if it is through a University. Are there other organizations like Unicef or World Vision doing work there as well?
9/7/12 3:09 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forever a Justin Wren fan! Phone Post
9/7/12 3:51 AM
LiveFromThe7x7

Ttt Phone Post
9/7/12 4:32 AM
justinthevikingwren
1308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DiscipleDojo -
anthonyMI - I sya this with all due respect for what you are doing: be careful with clothing donations. Westerners donating clothes to Africa has done a lot of damage to economies up and down the continent. Clothing manufacture is one of the strongest parts of any more traditional economy, for women especially. Donations have made that profession much more difficult, making tons of Africans unemployed. Again, especially women.

This is a valid point worth considering. Microfinancing and partnering with local/indigenous businesses or individuals would be something to look into. 

But that doesn't mean clothing donations are automatically bad. Just something to consider, as anthonyMI is saying.
Good post...

Because a lot of time helping can hurt.

In this case they are slaves for a week straight with the only pay of a tshirt with 5 holes in it. Phone Post
9/7/12 4:35 AM
justinthevikingwren
1308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I forgot to say...

Someone I know BEFORE I left donated a JEEP so I can load that thing up before shipping it!

It will be used for the community development school at the university of the four men I love. The use of it will e things like this... To take supplies to build water wells... To pick up a dying Andibo and rush him to the hospital... Things like that. Phone Post
9/7/12 7:27 AM
jellyman
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
9/7/12 7:37 AM
BarkLikeADog

Didn't read the whole thread so apologies if I'm beig redundant here:

I appreciate what you want to do & by no means do I mean to curb your ambition here; I just want to make sure the first thing you do is whatever it takes to protect your own heart & health. Ultimately you are dealing with a problem that is not resolvable at the level you plan to addres it, & there is going to be additional heartbreak as a result. This is a country with a government that does NOT have its shit together, & until that is resolved, there can be no end to civil war & lawlessness.

I feel your goodwill & hope the best for you.
9/7/12 8:05 AM
jim dwyer
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep going Justin, enslavement in the modern day is simply disgusting.

There was a programme on a couple of months ago on the BBC not long ago with Simon Reeve which explored the same issues (Indian Ocean with Simon Reeve I think).  I'll try and find a link..........
9/7/12 9:01 AM
walknazty
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

justinthevikingwren -  I forgot to say...

Someone I know BEFORE I left donated a JEEP so I can load that thing up before shipping it!

It will be used for the community development school at the university of the four men I love. The use of it will e things like this... To take supplies to build water wells... To pick up a dying Andibo and rush him to the hospital... Things like that. Phone Post

TTT for a mighty man of God.

Justin,
I shot you an email last night. Please let me know how I can help.

Walker
9/7/12 9:03 AM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/7/12 9:12 AM
reverend john
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Justin, lets talk

not sure we can do a lot, but I can get you in contact with some people that can do more. I would also like to talk to you about some other things. Get back at me when you have time, and thanks for sharing. Proud of you brother

rev
9/7/12 9:39 AM
scrapdo
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Much respect for learning about/trying to help other humans, Justin.

I can't help but ask a few things;
1. What treatment did the child and Mother need?  How can these people know what was needed?
2. If it was starvation, why would they be giving chickens (food) to the hospital instead of feeding them?
3. Did they deny treatment because of the cost, or because they view these people as inhuman? They treated once so I'm curious and also if this was not a pygmy mother/child would the hospital have just given treatement w/o payment?
4. Any insight as to why they'd deny treatment to a people they "own"? Seems they'd want to take care of their workers/"property".

Hopefully this didn't come off as disrespectful, I'm just trying to understand. Again, much respect for telling their stories.

9/7/12 10:07 AM
ChickendanceThailand

I would be happy to suggest or help you brainstorm some ideas if you want, just send me a PM. I am starting a non-profit and have been working overseas for three years.

I can't guarantee anything but connecting with like-minded people always produces something good!

Excellent work and keep posting here!!!
9/7/12 2:04 PM
justinthevikingwren

Hey UG brothers I JUST landed on American soil in Chicago. Having to close my phone going through customs but I'm blown away by the responses and amount of support!

Thank you guys... I feel I was there for Andibo and his mamma for a very specific reason... So their story doesn't go untold and that we can get some help to the Pygmy people. Some of their government officials told me they've been all over and the Pygmies have to be the most mistreated, neglected and rejected people group on the planet.

Thank you guys! I'm glad it's not only me that wants to help. :-)

I'll respond more soon! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.